Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4-H Kids may be screwed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

4-H Kids may be screwed Empty
PostSubject: 4-H Kids may be screwed   4-H Kids may be screwed EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 2:54 pm

At NorthEscambia.com

Quote :
University of Florida/IFAS Extension Dean Nick Place has made his recommendation concerning the future of 4-H in Escambia County at a morning meeting of the Escambia County Committee of the Whole.

He accepted three recommendations from an advisory committee concerning property to replace the Langley Bell 4-H Center that was sold to Navy Federal:

Cottage Hill State Forest, Cottage Hill. About 31 acres; the state is willing to deed the property to Escambia County. Site would support environmental and horticultural sciences, outdoor education, forestry and other 4-H activities. Currently has horse trails.

Escambia County Equestrian Center, Mobile Highway. Owned by Escambia County, includes 151 acres. Not currently equipped to handle any livestock except horses. A memorandum of understanding would ensure the 4-H could use the facility for animal shows.

Privately Owned Land. The Barrineau Park 4-H and the Livestock 4-H currently use the facilities of private landowners for livestock. By recruiting other members of the agriculture community, more sites could be developed with leases and grants to provide opportunities for 4-H club members to have off-site raising facilities.

Place also recommended that most of the $1.6 million from the Navy Federal sale proceeds that was to have purchased land instead by given to the 4-H Foundation for use only in Escambia County.

District 5 Commissioner Steven Barry expressed his displeasure in the recommendations, saying that it was not fair and equitable because 4-H sold 240 acres and did not receive something comparable in return. Commissioner Wilson Robertson also agreed, saying the 4-H’er had been promised comparable property.

A non-binding vote in by commissioners in the Committee of the Whole meeting was 3-2 against accepting Place’s plan. What happens next in the process was not immediately clear; more details will be posted as they become available

This sucks big time.  It is about what I expected, though.  Commentators at Northescambia.com are outraged. - Eric  - Other people's comments below...

I think that the commissioners made the right decision not to accept Dr. Place’s report. The Cottage Hill property is only 31 acres and is very hilly with no road to access the property and the Equestrian Center has never wanted the Youth Livestock Show. The facility is not equipped to show Hogs , Goats and Poultry and would have to be modified for the Youth show. I was a member of the task force and I would like to thank the commissioners that voted not to accept Dr. Place’s report.
After voting to sell the Langley Bell 4-H Center the youth of Escambia County deserve to have a nice piece of property for animal sciences. environmental studies, horse trails and buildings for clinics like what was available at the Langley Bell Center. 4-H property could be used to teach inter city kids the value of agriculture and to demonstrate where Americas food comes from. It has been very clear from the beginning of the task force meetings that the local legislative delegation and the board of commissioners that they supported the purchase of property to replace land that the youth voted to sell.

I as a Member of Escambia County Farm Bureau will continue to support the 4-H and FFA organizations that educate the youth about the importance of agriculture in this county, state and nation.

The county is not BUYING anything.

4-H is not BUYING anything.

They are REPLACING WHAT THEY SOLD. They voted and agreed to sell it when they were promised similar property would be purchased/replaced with the funds paid by Navy Federal.

The Bayer property wouldn’t be coming off the tax rolls, it will be REPLACED by the Langley Bell property now owned by Navy Federal. As CITIZEN’S we should insist on a fair accounting by our officials charged with administering this.

There was originally 400 acres in the Langley Bell property. Some was taken for I-10 right of way and some was sold to NF previously. Where is THAT MONEY?

There is not $ coming from ANYONE’S budget for this purchase. This money is already there from the sale of LB. The children agreed to sell to help Pensacola and NW Florida and they should be treated fairly. Building them a building on Stefani Rd or letting them use a part of the Equestrian Center, or the 31 acres is NOT FAIR TREATMENT. It is theft, pure and simple.

Pam Allen and Nick Place should both be ashamed.

Now the true facts are coming. The 4-H was lied to by who? The CC will do anything, tell anything, screw anybody that will believe them. Escambia Co. has screwed the boys and girls that made the attempt to do the right thing. This is a crying shame!

WHAT A JOKE! I am at a loss for words! Nick Place needs to head his butt back to Gainesville and take Pam Allen with him!

REGARDING:
“the 4-H’er had been promised comparable property.”

Promises given.
Promises kept?

I’m not involved but more and more I feel less and less inclined to trust promises from those in government. The 31 acres promise might even be the better deal, just not what they were promised.

David for wisdom and honesty

Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

4-H Kids may be screwed Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-H Kids may be screwed   4-H Kids may be screwed EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 am

Damn it!!! Just once you would think the Bastards would do what is right. Karma is a Bitch....
Back to top Go down

4-H Kids may be screwed
Page 1 of 1