Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua Empty
PostSubject: China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua   China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 1:34 am

I have not been able to keep up with my normal news since I moved to Alaska and was pretty surprised to read this just now, particularly since we're currently retrofitting the Panama Canal. That said, considering all the traffic and freight delays at the Panama canal, by the time the Nic Canal is completed, we will sure as hell need it. The eastern ports best get busy... only one I know of that is deepening its waters in preparation for the larger vessels in Charleston. 

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/north-america/item/16844-china-to-build-40-billion-canal-through-nicaragua

It'll be interesting to see what happens as this project develops. 

While we're on the subject of transportation, what are the fuel costs where you are? Gasoline is about $3.69/gal and diesel #2 is about $4.11/gal. Cheap, but diesel motors run too cold for this place, and I can tell you exactly how many diesel pickups I've seen here: one... just saw it in a friend's shop tonight. He was replacing the glow plugs on a brand new Ford F-450, go figure.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua   China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 8:21 am

Gasoline at the Sam's in Hoover is under $3.  I bought premium for $3.17 and usually regular is thirty cents cheaper.

Most other stations hover around $3.14 for regular.

I was watching one of the Alaska shows and some old codger lit a dadgum FIRE under the engine of his old Jeep when it wouldn't start.  I figured that this episode isn't going to have a happy ending, but the Jeep started without catching fire.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua   China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:05 am

Eric wrote:
Gasoline at the Sam's in Hoover is under $3.  I bought premium for $3.17 and usually regular is thirty cents cheaper.

Most other stations hover around $3.14 for regular.

I was watching one of the Alaska shows and some old codger lit a dadgum FIRE under the engine of his old Jeep when it wouldn't start.  I figured that this episode isn't going to have a happy ending, but the Jeep started without catching fire.
Thanks, E... I'd be interested to know what diesel is running down there if anyone remembers to glance at it for me. 

It's really funny you mentioned lighting a fire under a vehicle because when the taco was pissed off at me when it was between 35 and 50 below in the past few days I thought to myself, "I betcha more than a few crazy-ass Alaskans have just built a birch fire under the block," (birch is all over and burns quick and hot... doesn't even have to be particularly dry). Sooo not happening. That's why god made block, oil pan, tranny & battery heaters. 

Funny thing I've noticed... we're down to roughly 5-1/2 hours of daylight so far and whenever the weatherman or the radio announcers say what time the sun is rising and setting today, even though it's setting at 3:something in the afternoon, they still call it "tonight" or "this evening." ?? I always want to yell at the radio, "THAT'S CALLED THE *AFTERNOON*!!"
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua   China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:15 am

Say, what kind of wood stove do you have, Ricey? We have a fireplace in Pensacola... (and a chimnea for outside if it isn't too cold) and I want to insert a wood stove in the fireplace for efficiency sake.

I was looking at these soapstone stoves, but I don't think I'll ever be able to spend 3 grand on a wood stove, knowwhatImean, Vern?

http://www.woodstove.com/progress-hybrid
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua   China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Eric wrote:
Say, what kind of wood stove do you have, Ricey?  We have a fireplace in Pensacola... (and a chimnea for outside if it isn't too cold) and I want to insert a wood stove in the fireplace for efficiency sake.

I was looking at these soapstone stoves, but I don't think I'll ever be able to spend 3 grand on a wood stove, knowwhatImean, Vern?

http://www.woodstove.com/progress-hybrid
Dang... I forget what the big one in my little cabin is right now... my aunt found it in Flagstaff and hauled it up here on one of her visits. I'll let you know when I go back next door. The one here in the big cabin is a Fisher, and that is what my whole family uses. My parents have three Fisher wood stoves in their house, but they have a big place and as soon as they passed inspection on their home they yanked the heater back out and returned it... so there isn't even a "heater" besides the wood stoves in that home.

Geez, three grand for a wood stove with glass doors on it sounds a little crazy. I would be leery of anything that was not 100% cast iron, just for starters. I'm with you... fireplaces suck. I don't even know why people build homes with them. All they do is consume fuel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua   China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua Empty

Back to top Go down

China to build $40B canal through Nicaragua
Page 1 of 1