Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?

Go down 
+3
mediawatcher
Melissa
nochain
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:08 am

The 27th amendment prohibits quick congressional pay adjustments.  Passed in 1789 and finally ratified in 1992.

Quote :
No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.
Enacted probably to prohibit pay increases for incumbents, it also prohibits pay decreases for incumbents... until after the next election of the House.  

They could still pass the law... it just wouldn't take effect until after Nov. 4, 2014, when the House has it's next election.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:18 am

Eric wrote:
The 27th amendment prohibits quick congressional pay adjustments.  Passed in 1789 and finally ratified in 1992.

Quote :
No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.
Enacted probably to prohibit pay increases for incumbents, it also prohibits pay decreases for incumbents... until after the next election of the House.  

They could still pass the law... it just wouldn't take effect until after Nov. 4, 2014, when the House has it's next election.
Yep, the cards are stacked in their favor. Several Reps claim they are going to donate their pay to charity. I would rather they all swallow their pride and get serious about an agreement. The R's should let Oblamercare run its course, it will probably die a slow death from its own weight over time anyway. I've pretty much given up on it going away by now.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:28 am

From the Washington Post.

Rank-and-file lawmakers of the House and Senate earn $174,000 annually, while congressional leaders earn more. Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) makes $223,500 a year, slightly less than the $230,700 salary for Vice President Biden and about half of the $400,000 salary for President Obama.

Several lawmakers have already said that they plan to donate or refuse compensation earned over the course of the impasse. Here's a running tally that we will continue updating through the day:

Rep. Andy Barr (R-Ky.): The lawmaker has been telling local radio stations for several days that he plans to donate his earnings during the shutdown to "local charities," a spokeswoman said.

Rep. Ami Bera (D-Calif): He will decline his pay because "Congress should lead by example and put people before politics,” he said in a statement. “If Congress can’t do its job and put the American people first, then they certainly shouldn’t get paid during a crisis that they are causing. We must stop the finger pointing, start acting like adults, and make Washington work for the people again.”

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio): His office said in a statement that the senator "will not accept his federal salary accrued during the government shutdown and will instead donate it to charity. In 2011, Brown pledged to forego his salary in the event of a government shutdown. Following the 1995 shutdown, Brown donated his salary to various charities in his then-House District." He will donate his salary this time to the Ohio-based Honor Flight Network.

Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.): "No small business would pay someone who refuses to do their job,” Buchanan said in a statement Tuesday.  “So why should Senators or House members be paid for failing to fulfill one of their most basic responsibilities?  They shouldn’t.”

Sen. Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.): The senator plans to donate pay earned during the shutdown to a Delaware charity, a spokeswoman said.

Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.): On his reelection campaign Facebook page, Castro said he would give up his pay in the event of a shutdown. "I hope you will ask Senator Ted Cruz why he refuses to give up his pay during a shutdown he pushed for," he added.

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.): The senator said Tuesday evening on CNN that he will donate earnings accrued during the shutdown to charity.

Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.): “The American people sent us to Washington to do a job,” he said in a statement. “If we cannot live up to that obligation, we should not be taking a pay check, a pay check that is funded by the taxes paid by our fellow hardworking Americans.  If the federal government is shutdown Members of Congress should not get paid, and we should not be held to a different standard when it comes to Obamacare, either.”

Sen. Christopher Coons (D-Del.): A spokesman said Tuesday that the senator is "going to send the Treasury a check for the salary he is paid during the shutdown."

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.): A spokeswoman says the senator "will not be paid during the federal shutdown. He donates to charity and does not believe a government shutdown should necessitate charitable contributions, compassion for fellow man should."

Rep. Steve Daines (R-Mont.): He will donate his salary during the shutdown to the Big Sky Honor Flight, his office said Tuesday.

Rep. Suzan DelBene (D-Wash): “For as long as this unnecessary shutdown occurs, hundreds of thousands of public servants will be working without pay," she said in a statement Tuesday. "When sequestration began earlier this year, I returned 8.2% of my salary back to the Treasury, and for the duration of this shutdown, I will return the remainder of my personal salary as well."

Rep. William Enyart (D-Ill.): He said late Tuesday that he is "donating my pay for the duration of this senseless shut-down to a food bank in Southern Illinois and call upon my colleagues in Congress to do the same."

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii): She said last Friday that "If a common-sense agreement is not reached, our hard-working troops, law enforcement and other essential personnel will continue to report for duty while receiving no pay, leaving their families at home with nothing but uncertainty. I sincerely hope a government shutdown does not occur, but if no deal is struck by next Tuesday, then Members of Congress should not be exempt from its very real, tough consequences."

Rep. Pete Gallego (D-Tex.): The freshman lawmaker said Monday, "I will be donating my salary to an organization that helps military men and women who are injured while serving their country. They have sacrificed - Congress should heed their example." On Saturday he also introduced the "Shutdown Member of Congress Pay Act," which would -- you guessed it -- withhold lawmaker pay in the event of a shutdown.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.): In a 40-second YouTube video statement, he said "I shouldn’t get a congressional salary while other federal employees are denied the ability to go to work. I'm going to take my salary during the government shutdown and donate it to the Wounded Warrior Project."

Sen. Kay Hagan (D-N.C.): A spokeswoman said Tuesday she plans to donate the pay she earns over the course of the impasse.

Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.): “During the shutdown of the federal government, I will donate my salary to a charity in North Dakota," she said in a statement. "Right now, federal workers across North Dakota and the country who chose to work in public service have been forced to go without pay – including my Senate staff.  It’s only fair that I not receive a salary during that time as well."

Rep. Randy Hultgren (R-Ill.): He said he'll revoke his salary "until Congress passes and the President signs an acceptable solution to fund the federal government."

Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.): She posted a picture on her Facebook page of the letter she sent to House officials requesting that her pay be withheld.

Rep. Derek Kilmer (D-Wash.): On his Facebook page, he said he would give up his pay "for the duration of a government shutdown. I am dead set against a shutdown because it will have serious effects on our economy and because many people rely on services provided by federal agencies. The fact that some in Congress would risk a shutdown in order to score political points demonstrates why Congress is currently held in lower regard than head lice."

Rep. Ron Kind (D-Wis.): He wrote on his Facebook page Tuesday that "As long as furloughed federal workers go without pay, I will not take my own salary."

Rep. Leonard Lance (R-N.J.): He formally requested Tuesday that his pay be suspended until a new spending bill has been passed.

Rep. James Langevin (D-R.I.): A spokesman said the lawmaker "will be splitting his earnings between the Rhode Island Community Food Bank and the Rhode Island Good Neighbor Energy Fund."

Rep. Frank LoBiondo (D-N.J.): He took to Twitter on Monday to say that "As US Constitution prohibits immediate changes in Members' pay, I've requested my pay suspended if #shutdown occurs."

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.): A spokesman said the senator "will not be keeping her salary. She will be writing a check to give it away."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.): In a statement, the Senate GOP leader said "the effects of this completely unnecessary shutdown will have a real impact on my constituents. And I will donate my paycheck to charity for as long as Senate Democrats deprive hardworking Americans of their paychecks during this completely unnecessary shutdown.” An aide said he plans to donate compensation earned during the shutdown to Wayside Christian Mission in Louisville.

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.): He announced he won't accept his pay in a statement sent to constituents Tuesday.

Rep. Markwayne Mullins (R-Okla.): He is donating his pay over the course of the shutdown, according to his office.

Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Tex.): He also posted a photo on his Facebook page of his request to have his path withheld.

Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Tex.): “As long as the shut-down continues, I will not accept my pay," he said in a statement Tuesday. " I will be donating my entire pay for the length of the government closure to veterans’ service organizations (VSOs) in El Paso." He added that "In order to continue to serve El Paso, my offices will remain open, but at a reduced capacity. I will continue to use my Facebook page to keep you posted.”

Rep. Gary Peters (D-Mich.): He announced last week via Twitter that he would donate his pay during the shutdown to charity.

Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.): He is likely to donate his salary for the duration of the shutdown, according to aides, who note that he already gives 15 percent of his salary back to the U.S. Treasury to help pay down the federal debt.

Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.): He announced about a week ago that he plans to donate his pay earned during the shutdown to charity.

Rep. Brad Schneider (D-Ill.): In response to a Twitter callout by The Washington Post, Schneider said via Twitter that "I will be returning my paycheck until Congress finds a sensible solution to this harmful shutdown."

Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.): He told constituents in a statement that "I firmly believe that if Members of Congress fail to perform their most basic duty in passing a budget, then they do not deserve to be paid. It is in that vein that I will be donating the congressional salary I collect during the shutdown to a local Oregon charity to be named later. It’s time for Congress to get its act together.”

Rep. Allyson Schwartz (D-Pa.): A spokesman said that she plans to "go without her paycheck during the government shutdown" and is working to determine where she will donate the earnings.

Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.): During a House floor speech he said he would defer his pay because "members of Congress are no better than anyone else."

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.): The senator said Tuesday evening on CNN that she will donate earnings during the shutdown to charity.

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.): The freshman announced Monday that he would refuse his pay "until federal employees who must work during the shutdown are paid."

Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-Mass.): In a statement issued Tuesday morning, she said she "will not accept a pay check for the duration of the government shutdown."

Rep. Ann Wagner (R-Mo.): On her Facebook page, she said "As a result of partisan bickering and gridlock, I have waived my salary for the duration of the government shutdown because Congress didn’t get the job done. Those who make the laws should have to live by those laws, and I will continue to fight for the people of Missouri’s 2nd District."

Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Va.): In response to a callout on Twitter by The Washington Post, Wittman said via Twitter that he would "donate my salary to charity for every day the government is shut down."
Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.): The Bluegrass State lawmaker has donated his entire annual salary to Louisville-area charities since he came to Congress in 2007, aides reminded us on Tuesday.

Rep. Todd Young (R-Ind.): He said Tuesday morning via Twitter that he wants his pay withheld.

Others who have said they will refuse their pay:
Rep. Ron Barber (D-Ariz.)
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.)
Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (D-Hawaii)
Rep. Bill Johnson (R-Ohio)
Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Fla.)
Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.)
Rep. Mike Coffman (R-Colo.)
Rep. Robert Pittenger (R-N.C.)
Rep. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.)
Rep. Bill Flores (R-Tex.)
Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-N.M.)
Rep. John Barrow (D-Ga.)
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 am

So, it seems a lot of folks will donate to charities.

Tax deductions come April?
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:48 am

Eric wrote:
So, it seems a lot of folks will donate to charities.

Tax deductions come April?
It's sad that so many know how to do the correct thing under these circumstance and yet they as a whole are or have been unable to come to a conclusion to end the nonesense...There have been so many stop gap measures that just prolong the agony until the next go round of inaction on budget talks that perhaps it's time for this to be seriously dealt with and the politicans are aware that they do not want the electorate getting too upset going into the 2014 elections because they'll get hammered at town hall meetings at home...Yesterday it was amazing to see the cowh call this a "Republican Shutdown"....So the republicans are in charge?...The unwillingness to negotiate/compromise is at a all time high and it takes more that one party to participate...Agree with Eric 100%....under this healthcare it is mandated under threats of punitive actions that all MUST participate...this is fundementally wrong.... It was hysterical that two reporters from CNN and MSNBC attempted to register but were unable to do so....
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm

The Tea party is getting blamed for a lot of the problem when a few major things they want is to stop the illegal aliens from getting benefits, limiting the time for drawing benefits, politicians following the same exact laws you and I do, politicians doing their jobs, NO more taxes, and no life long politicians.. The TEA party stands for Taxed Enough Already!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Jake, from what I have read in the last couple of days, the blame is square on the Tea Party and very conservative House Republicans that the Tea Partiers influence... and Speaker Boehner's precarious position with his own party. Speaker Boehner isn't as powerful as, say Tip O'Neal used to be, and the conservative Republicans threaten to remove him from his position if he doesn't toe the line on Obamacare. He could let a "clean" funding bill reach the floor of the House, and it would probably pass, but his tenure as Speaker would probably end.

His position is that precarious and he wants to remain in his position.

Of course, Obama should have built a consensus on Obamacare instead of ramming it through when the Democrats had control of both the House and Senate. Now that the Republicans have control of the House, they are delivering a bit of payback.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Clinton had a surplus and MOST things worked right because the Republicans had the Senate and House..  That is the way it's supposed to work but everybody says Clinton was the one that had the surplus, when it was really the republican house and senate that ran the country..

The mess we have now is caused by BOTH parties....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 8:59 am

Eric wrote:
Jake, from what I have read in the last couple of days, the blame is square on the Tea Party and very conservative House Republicans that the Tea Partiers influence... and Speaker Boehner's precarious position with his own party.  Speaker Boehner isn't as powerful as, say Tip O'Neal used to be, and the conservative Republicans threaten to remove him from his position if he doesn't toe the line on Obamacare.  He could let a "clean" funding bill reach the floor of the House, and it would probably pass, but his tenure as Speaker would probably end.

His position is that precarious and he wants to remain in his position.

Of course, Obama should have built a consensus on Obamacare instead of ramming it through when the Democrats had control of both the House and Senate.  Now that the Republicans have control of the House, they are delivering a bit of payback.
And yet Harry Reid....Nancy Pelosi..and others are the perfect examples of nonpartisianship that only want to do what is best for the nation.....and the cowh is a brilliant example of working with and including the republicans...The same Tea Party members that went to the WWII Monument and removed the police tape to allow WWII Vets from a FREEDOM FLIGHT to be able to visit for some perhaps the first and last time....WHAT RADICALS!!!!....And the DNC called this a 'petty stunt'...The RNC volunteered to pay to keep the monument open for thirty days...democrats said that was politics...and what is the entire shutdown?...Sick and tired of NO BLAME being given to the cowh and the democrat controlled senate...History---Last time...Similar conditions--when President Bush was in office and there was even talk of a shutdown...immediate talk of impeachment and blaming him and the republican congress....Once again if that was correct thinking then...why not now?...This is Harry Reids shutdown because he's failed to even begin negotiations on several House Bills but seems that there are very few that even want to consider Dirty Harry because the Tea Party is the politically correct punching bag....Come on...what has the Senate done?....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am

Please remember that the shutdown is due to budgetary reasons. Adding Obamacare to a budget bill is like adding a rider to a bill. It is not necessary. It reminds me of how Congress does things to pass unfavorable legislation... insert pork or a pet project into a bill that is too important to veto. I don't like that way of doing things, whether it is the Democrats doing that crap or the Republicans.

Don't blame the Democrats. They didn't put Obamacare provisos in a budget bill.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Eric wrote:
Please remember that the shutdown is due to budgetary reasons.  Adding Obamacare to a budget bill is like adding a rider to a bill.  It is not necessary.  It reminds me of how Congress does things to pass unfavorable legislation... insert pork or a pet project into a bill that is too important to veto.  I don't like that way of doing things, whether it is the Democrats doing that crap or the Republicans.

Don't blame the Democrats.  They didn't put Obamacare provisos in a budget bill.
?????....The democrats are the only ones responsible for [name] cowh healthcare...54% or higher disagree with this law of the land...Like the sequester...designed to inflict hurt onto citizens in order to feed the ego of the cowh...perhaps if it didn't have his name attached he might be more willing to compromise/negotiate but this is what he/his administration touts as their major accomplishment should it fail then it points out that the cowh has been a failure...Today the cowh sounded the scare tactic of saying social security checks may be effected if there is no agreement....no conscience whatsoever...now who's throwing a tantrum?...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

You are right that the Democrats are responsible for Obamacare. I have never said otherwise.

The way the Republicans are refusing to submit a clean budget bill is their fault... not the Democrats.

There are other ways to repeal Obamacare without holding the nation hostage until the tea party Republicans get their way.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Wasn't the Sequester a bipartisan effort? Why blame the Democrats on the Sequester?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Continue to show disrespect for President Obama by calling him COWH. Looks like coward to me.

Will you promise to call the next Republican President COWH too? I think not.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm

I liken this budget impasse to a combat situation: if you can't gain the advantage get away so you can fight a decisive battle later. Boehner - at this point - is simply trying to save his job. Too bad, put Americans first - the ones being hurt the most are lower level folks who can't afford to miss paychecks. Agree to a clean bill and fight the other issues later and they should be fought - just not at the expense of the country to make a point.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 1:51 pm

nochain wrote:
I liken this budget impasse to a combat situation: if you can't gain the advantage get away so you can fight a decisive battle later. Boehner - at this point - is simply trying to save his job. Too bad, put Americans first - the ones being hurt the most are lower level folks who can't afford to miss paychecks. Agree to a clean bill and fight the other issues later and they should be fought - just not at the expense of the country to make a point.
I agree 100%.

Obamacare is not well-liked (whodathunk?). I like it that some states like Florida refuse to play in the Obamacare sandbox. So, instead of waiting for Republicans to get control of the House & Senate (with enough for a veto override), how can we get Obama to eliminate the Affordable Care Act? Self-immolation might get his attention, but I have this thing about fire.

Sending more Obamacare "kill" bills from the House to the Senate don't seem to garner more than a yawn. At last count, wasn't this attempted over a hundred times? Whatever the number, it was a LOT.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Eric wrote:
Continue to show disrespect for President Obama by calling him COWH.  Looks like coward to me.

Will you promise to call the next Republican President COWH too?  I think not.
ONLY.....if there are members of the media...campaign staff...and other politicians that said that using the name of this cowh was racial in nature due to his middle name...These same people are some of the same that have said disagreement is also racially motivated...The use of cowh certainly is not disrespectfu and/or cowardly it's only in compliance of those that requested it in an attempt to not to be catagorized as being 'racially motivated'...Those were the rules that were set forth early in the initial campaign...If you and or anyone else say I'm showing disrespect then that's an assumption and we all were told what assuming is...how you came to the 'coward' comment is a little surprising because simple disagreement does not contstitute one being a 'coward'...but that's your opinion and certainly we all have opinions....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I said "coward" because COWH is close to it, and your obvious distain for President Obama makes me think you are saying it. Proper respect for a president is to call him by his title President. Current Occupant of the White House obviously expresses contempt for the person.

But that's okay, it's a free country.

By the way, calling him President Obama doesn't use his middle name.

I agree that to call him Barack Hoooosaaaiiin Obama sounds like a slur. When I first heard his middle name, I couldn't believe it was really his middle name. I figured that some talk show host had to have made that up because Obama's father was Muslim. Most people don't use their middle name very much, except for some uppity lawyers who use an initial for the first name, so, to me and obviously others, using his middle name seems to be an obvious attempt to paint him in negative light.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Eric wrote:
I said "coward" because COWH is close to it, and your obvious distain for President Obama makes me think you are saying it.  Proper respect for a president is to call him by his title President.  Current Occupant of the White House obviously expresses contempt for the person.

But that's okay, it's a free country.  

By the way, calling him President Obama doesn't use his middle name.  

I agree that to call him Barack Hoooosaaaiiin Obama sounds like a slur.  When I first heard his middle name, I couldn't believe it was really his middle name.  I figured that some talk show host had to have made that up because Obama's father was Muslim.  Most people don't use their middle name very much, except for some uppity lawyers who use an initial for the first name, so, to me and obviously others, using his middle name seems to be an obvious attempt to paint him in negative light.
Lets make this crystal clear....I have NO distain for the cowh on a personal or racial level and do not feel compelled to apologize and/or being labled as disrespectful....disagreements are with his policies and record on many issues during his first five years...Have disagreed with Bush...Clinton...Gore...Kerry...Edwards and many others and disrespect was never an issue...People can only be beaten over the head with being told they are 'racists' or 'racially motivated' simply for disagreeing...makes one wonder if those that throw around the 'race card' are themselves as innocent as they profess...Disagreed with HRC when she was involved in attempting government run healthcare so there is a record of policy disagreements...Guess in our society we haven't come as far as we think if those that disagree are labled as what they are not...This is the first time that I'm aware of when a name of any president or usuage of their name has been inapproprite...political correctness out of control....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Please don't get me wrong.  In no way do I believe your use of COWH is racially motivated.  That thought never crossed my mind... seriously.  

I was brought up by a hard-headed man that insisted I treat people with respect.  If someone earns the title of President, I was taught to refer to him as Mr. President.  I like President Obama less and less as time goes on, but, like it or not, he has still earned the title of President.

There are some judges and county commissioners that I write to, and even though I disagree with many things they do, I address them as "Honorable"... then finish with their name.  I'm far from spit-and-polish, but some things just feel better to me when I do it old-fashioned.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 4:04 pm

I always wondered what COWH meant..  I've always called them President, just like calling the CO of whatever command I was in either Skipper, Captain, or whatever rank they were, and it was THEIR choice what they wanted to be called..
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 8:46 am

Jake92 wrote:
I always wondered what COWH meant..  I've always called them President, just like calling the CO of whatever command I was in either Skipper, Captain, or whatever rank they were, and it was THEIR choice what they wanted to be called..
Sounds like you were Navy - what did you do in the service? I'm retired from the Navy, some good memories and some not so good ones too!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 9:06 am

I was a corpsman.. 9 yrs with the USMC, 3 at the P'cola hospital, and the rest on submarines..
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 am

Jake92 wrote:
I was a corpsman..  9 yrs with the USMC, 3 at the P'cola hospital, and the rest on submarines..  
Spent 4 years on a carrier and the rest carrying marines around on amphibs or working with them from a Beach Group command. I liked the Beach Group tour the best though. Only went on one sub, an Australian boat - the Fosters beer was exceptional!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I did a few floats with Marines on the Denver in 73 and Juneau in 77..  In between, I was at Quantico, pushing the boot OCS kids instructing a few things from first aid to snakes, to signals and flares..  They loved/hated me because I NEVER let them beat me..  If they ran 3 miles, I ran 4..  If they carried 60 pound packs, I carried 70 pounds..  My knees are normally killing me, but I handle it with a pillow under or between them and 800mg Motrin along with ice or a heating pad a few times a year..

I still have a TON of respect for the Marines....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?   So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So – who gets blamed if the government shuts down?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next