Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An interesting bit of internet trivia.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

An interesting bit of internet trivia. Empty
PostSubject: An interesting bit of internet trivia.   An interesting bit of internet trivia. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 am

The foundation for how the Google search engine works is called PageRank which is an algorithm created by Larry Page the co-founder of Google.

But here's the interesting thing. Neither Larry Page nor the Google company own the patent on it because Page developed the thing while he was still a student at Stanford.
Which means that Stanford owns the patent for this thing, and not Google.
SO, Google has to pay Stanford for a license to make use of it.

So how much is the algorithm worth to Google?

Answer: Google gave Stanford 1.3 million shares of Google stock for the license rights.
And Stanford sold the stock for $336 million.

One/third of a billion dollars for an algorithm!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An interesting bit of internet trivia.   An interesting bit of internet trivia. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 am

Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: An interesting bit of internet trivia.   An interesting bit of internet trivia. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:18 am

Considering their bottom line, it's a drop in the bucket.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: An interesting bit of internet trivia.   An interesting bit of internet trivia. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 am

Eric wrote:
Considering their bottom line, it's a drop in the bucket.

But when I was in business my philosophy was to avoid as much overhead expense as I could possibly avoid. I never could sleep well when I had overhead bills coming in, knowing I had to produce enough revenue first just to cover that. The thought of having one expense be 1/3 of a billion dollars gives me cold chills. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An interesting bit of internet trivia.   An interesting bit of internet trivia. Empty

Back to top Go down

An interesting bit of internet trivia.
Page 1 of 1