Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone Empty
PostSubject: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 am

Google Bans Selling or Lending of Glass
Gary Cutlack - Gizmodo UK

Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone Origin12

Quote :
If Google thinks any of its new Google Glass owners have been flogging them on eBay or loaning them their to friends it has the right to remotely deactivate the tech spectacles, according to the Ts & Cs in the contract this first wave of buyers have agreed to.

The oppressive Google Glass terms state that: "…you may not resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person. If you resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person without Google's authorization, Google reserves the right to deactivate the device, and neither you nor the unauthorized person using the device will be entitled to any refund, product support, or product warranty."

It's sad news for anyone who managed to bag one of the $1,500 devices in the hope of flipping them for a quick profit. One recent attempt at eBaying a retail Google Glass hit the highs of around £60,000, before the seller cancelled the auction in the face of mass public outrage at how he dared to sell the magical new glasses of power. [Wired]

Yeah, like Google is gonna keep people from selling their product. It is like the Apple iTunes contract where the music you purchased from them must be deleted when you die... yes, that is their official terms we agree to when we buy music from iTunes.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 am

Off-topic a bit, but a follow-up to my first post with some info you might find useful.

From Lifehacker website... http://lifehacker.com/desiccate-scrubs-personal-data-from-itunes-and-amazon-b-475802404

Desiccate Scrubs Personal Data from iTunes and Amazon-Bought Tunes

Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone Dessic10

Quote :
Windows: You may already know that when you buy music from iTunes, Amazon, and other digital music stores, some personal information like your account ID or username are embedded in the track metadata. Desiccate is a free Windows utility that scrubs them clean.

Desiccate is simple to use: as long as you have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed, you can launch it directly from the link below and run it against your files (it's deployed as a server-side app hosted by the developer). When you do run it, you're presented with three checkboxes that represent different types of data you can remove.

PRIV and COMM data are often used by Amazon and COMM and UFID are used by iTunes, but keep in mind that COMM will remove any comments from your music file's tags—including those you may have added yourself. You can even tell the app to take a test run against your files to log what it would remove before you commit to the changes. As always, make sure you have backups of your files before using an app like this: the dev notes that if your music files are corrupted, running any tool like this may corrupt them further. When I ran it however, it cleaned my music files with no issues at all.

It's worth noting that the personal info embedded in each track is how music retailers combat piracy: if the file appears on a file sharing network, it can be traced back to the person who uploaded it. Unfortunately, it could also put you in a bad position if your computer is lost or stolen, or if your computer is compromised and someone takes the opportunity to snag all of your music. Use your judgement, and it should go without saying: don't do anything illegal and/or stupid.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Screw Google. I am getting more and more leery of them as time marches on. It seems that they are taking every opportunity to peek into our lives for the purposes of datamining, and that makes me really uncomfortable. I have so far declined to join their latest attempt to look into my life, Google+. But that means that I can no longer, for example, review apps that I've installed on my Droid4, which irritates me. Yeah, I know I could probably set up a profile with the minimal possible information, but undoubtedly there are certain fields they require you to complete (for their datamining purposes), and it's the principle of the matter.

I feel like they're getting worse than Facebook, so far as privacy is concerned.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I haven't joined Google+ either, sweetie.

I check Facebook regularly, though... about once every 2 months.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Eric wrote:
I haven't joined Google+ either, sweetie.

I check Facebook regularly, though... about once every 2 months.

Have you not joined for the same reasons as me?

Same here w/Facebook. I log in very infrequently... usually to find that people have sent me messages inviting me to do things or to hang out. Puzzling since these are people who have my email address and phone number.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

riceme wrote:
Have you not joined for the same reasons as me?

Security, mostly. I don't stay logged in to Facebook because so many Facebook-friendly websites link your activities to Facebook... and I am basically PARANOID!

But there are tons of people that I have "friended" on Facebook... some are close friends, some are high school classmates, some from church, some are relatives, etc. I don't particularly want to deal with different friend lists and I don't want everybody to know what I am up to.

I am not going to join Google+, Google Play, (whatever).
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Eric wrote:

Security, mostly. I don't stay logged in to Facebook because so many Facebook-friendly websites link your activities to Facebook... and I am basically PARANOID!

But there are tons of people that I have "friended" on Facebook... some are close friends, some are high school classmates, some from church, some are relatives, etc. I don't particularly want to deal with different friend lists and I don't want everybody to know what I am up to.

I am not going to join Google+, Google Play, (whatever).

Same here. I never, ever post what I am doing, where I am going... nothing. Sometimes I wonder why I have a profile at all. I'm super paranoid about Facebook, the creeps.

Here's an edited-down list (because I know some of the Add-Ons you already have, like Adblock Plus, the equivalents of Ghostery and Track Me Not) of FF/Chrome Add-Ons that are either Facebook-specific or address issues specific TO Facebook that I have running on my machine, and which I recommend to anyone who ever logs in to that scary place:

• Ad-Bye For Facebook (Say goodbye to FB ads!)

• Dr.Web Anti-Virus Link Checker

• Facebook Blocker (Disables auto-submitting your data to Facebook. Does not block the program)

• Facebook Phishing Protector (must-have)

• FacebookBlocker (Blocks FB content from appearing on other websites)

• Redirect Remover (you can toggle on/off)

• ShowIP (customizable features)

• WorldIP (Worldwide ping and traceroute. Lots of info on current page, your IP and more)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone   Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone Empty

Back to top Go down

Google says you cannot sell or give your Google Glass to anyone
Page 1 of 1