Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Florida Sour Orange or Seville

Go down 
+2
riceme
stormwatch89
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

The Florida Sour Orange or Seville Empty
PostSubject: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:34 am

You may find this boring, but I've learned something recently that I find interesting.

A year ago I bought a house with a 20' orange tree and was excited until I tasted one of those buggers. It was awful! Made my friends and family taste as well to confirm my opinion. We all thought they were disgusting and I planned on having the tree removed.

Well, 2 days ago I had a landscaper doing some work here who was equally fascinated with this gorgeous tree and took a few oranges with him. Later he called saying he had stopped by a Thai restaurant and they went ballistic. It seems that these oranges are vital to Thai, Cuban, Mexican and Spanish cooking. Who would've known?

I've Googled them only to find out they are almost an extinct species. It seems that they were grafted with sweeter oranges, but when people didn't tend the tree well, the sour took over. Now, they are highly in demand.

Recipes provide substitutes for those who can't find them such as mixing orange,grapefruit and lime juices to simulate the flavor.

The stuff is great for salad dressings, marinades, mead making, wine making, baking and cocktails. Just don't try to eat them!

I even found a New York Times article about how great they are with recipes!

Just shows to go, the things you think are garbage may not be............point for you Bob!
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:42 am

If one wants to try pm me, and I'll send!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 pm

That is super cool, HG! I'm so glad you didn't rip out that poor ole tree... Tree Dude saves the day!!! Woop woop!!

Hey, I've an idear... why don't you get in nicey-nicey with your favorite local restaurant that might use your sour oranges and maybe you all can barter... sour oranges for tasty vittles! That's what mama would do! Wink

cheers
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:07 pm

riceme wrote:
That is super cool, HG! I'm so glad you didn't rip out that poor ole tree... Tree Dude saves the day!!! Woop woop!!

Hey, I've an idear... why don't you get in nicey-nicey with your favorite local restaurant that might use your sour oranges and maybe you all can barter... sour oranges for tasty vittles! That's what mama would do! Wink

cheers

Yeah, that sounds like it's a ticket...

Good discovery.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Ah Riceme, we think alike. Looks like I'll be eating Thai.

Made salad dressing with it today and it's good!

Yah!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:34 pm

I LOVE salad........ I usually use either Raspberry Walnut vinigarette, Greek, or Ginger dressing. All 3 are good..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Annie's Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette is my all-time favorite EVER... SOOOO delish!! YUM YUM YUM!! I'll hardly eat anything else anymore.

https://annies.alice.com/products/1276098

Why don't they have the ingredients?? Argh! Oh, I finded 'em:

Organic Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette

An organic version of Annie’s unique Asian dressing.

(8 oz. bottle)

Certified Organic
No Artificial Colors
No Preservatives
Vegan

Organic Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette

An organic version of Annie’s unique Asian dressing.

(8 oz. bottle)

Certified Organic
No Artificial Colors
No Preservatives
Vegan

INGREDIENTS: *EXPELLER PRESSED VEGETABLE OIL (*CANOLA, *SOY, AND/OR *SUNFLOWER), *APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, *SOY SAUCE (WATER, *SOYBEAN, SALT, *WHEAT, *ALCOHOL), WATER, *EXPELLER PRESSED TOASTED SESAME OIL, *TOASTED SESAME SEEDS, *SHIITAKE MUSHROOM, XANTHAN GUM.

*ORGANIC INGREDIENTS

CONTAINS SOY AND WHEAT INGREDIENTS.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 pm

riceme wrote:
Annie's Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette is my all-time favorite EVER... SOOOO delish!! YUM YUM YUM!! I'll hardly eat anything else anymore.

Think they might have it around here? Publix, maybe?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

Think they might have it around here? Publix, maybe?

They sho-nuff do sell it at Publix. Or you could pay double @Evryman's. Wink
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:55 pm

I'll take Ricey's word for it and get some to try this week.. For restaurant salad dressings, I LOVE the house Italian at Franco's and the ginger dressing at Yamato's..
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 pm

I have heard of a local orange called a satsuma. Is that what you have? I've never seen one just heard someone talking about satsumas.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 9:23 am

Satsuma, Alabama (a few miles North of Mobile) had lots of Satsuma Orange groves, but cold weather killed most of them and they eventually gave up on trying to grow them there.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 am

I'm glad you kept the tree, Stormy. As my neighbor often says, we must honor our trees. Every time I see a tree chopped down for whatever reason I remember her words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 pm

yelladawg wrote:
I have heard of a local orange called a satsuma. Is that what you have? I've never seen one just heard someone talking about satsumas.

No, Yella. The story I'm getting is that the satsuma was grafted to the Seville orange and when people let them run wild, the sour took over.

Why they would be rare, I have no idea.

I dunno, PB, I cut down any tree that looks hungry for my house after our storm history. Sorry. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Come to think of it I DID see some strange orange trees back in the seventies, they seemed okay since the sky was purple. Jimi Hendrix sounded like Mozart.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:31 pm

I found Ricey's special favorite dressing at Publics on 9 mile and Pine Forest . It's $4.19/bottle. I tried a little of it and will try it again after it gets cooled off in the reefer.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 pm

yelladawg wrote:
Come to think of it I DID see some strange orange trees back in the seventies, they seemed okay since the sky was purple. Jimi Hendrix sounded like Mozart.

Yellafeller, that was the variety called Purple Haze...
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Eric wrote:
yelladawg wrote:

Yellafeller, that was the variety called Purple Haze...

THAT was better'n any Mozart!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Florida Sour Orange or Seville   The Florida Sour Orange or Seville Empty

Back to top Go down

The Florida Sour Orange or Seville
Page 1 of 1