Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com Empty
PostSubject: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 pm

This is posted for Joanie's interest. ETI brand 8.5-watt omni-directional LED bulbs are on sale at 1000Bulbs.com. They say they can make 600 lumens. Price = $4.99 each, marked down from $15.99. I bought 5, even though I really don't need any new LED bulbs right now. I will find a use for them, and perhaps give a couple to my in-laws. $4.99 is a steal of a price!

https://1000bulbs.com/product/91139/ETI-520163MD.html/?utm_source=Email317&utm_medium=Hero&utm_term=ETI-LED-Reminder&utm_content=Email&utm_campaign=ETI-LED-Reminder_Email317_Hero
Back to top Go down
http://www.led-flashlight-reviews.com/
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 am

Thank you Z-man. I saw that and will probably order some for my kids. I have replaced all my inside bulbs with the LED's. I am waiting for outside LED flood lights to go on sale.....I need 10.

My electric bill is now running around $110.00 a month. It had been well over $200 and close to $300 or a little more in the summer.... the light bulbs, variable speed pool pump and a new high-efficiency heat pump (small industrial) and of course a hot water heater timer are responsible for the decrease.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 am

Z,

What wattage compact fluorescent bulb gives that same 600 lumens?

[edit] I just googled it. A 17 watt CFL outputs 800 lumens. So when you consider the price, the energy
savings, and the life of the bulb, it looks like LED is getting competitive at this discounted price anyway.

Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 8:56 am

By the way, this is what one website gives as the average rated life of the different bulbs.

Fluorescent 24,000-36,000 hours

Compact Fluorescent
Plug-in 10,000-20,000 hours
Screw-based 8,000-10,000 hours

Halogen 2,000-4,000 hours

LED 40,000-50,000 hours

"The Average Rated Life (ARL) is how long it takes for half the light bulbs in a test batch to fail. It’s also been called a half-life. For example if 100 bulbs are tested and have an ARL of 1000 hours, 50 of the bulbs had died when the test time reached 1000 hours. Some bulbs may have failed within 50 hours, some within 450 hours, some within 700 hours, etc. but half were dead within 1000 hours."
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am

Bob, that link Z provided says that bulb is equivalent to a 50-watt incandescent.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am

Eric wrote:
Bob, that link Z provided says that bulb is equivalent to a 50-watt incandescent.

True but I stopped using incandescents and went all CFL quite a while back. So it's only the comparison between
CFL and LED which matters to me.
It only happened because I was at a yard sale and someone had a big basket full of CFL's for a few dollars. They had been bought
for a business that closed and one of the employees took them home and then just decided to dump
them in his yard sale. When I got home I immediately replaced all the incandescents with them and have
been using them out of that basket ever since. And still have 15 or 20 of em left.
I like the idea of going LED but until those CFL's are used up I just have no need to make the change yet.

I did learn something important from this though. That webpage Z linked us to says "this bulb is UL listed for dry locations".
That explains why I had a bad experience with LED. I bought one a few years ago (when they were still expensive) and
installed it in a porch light fixture. The damn thing died after a couple weeks. That mislead me into thinking the claims
about the longevity/reliability of these things is exaggerated. But that quote from that web page probably explains it.
Mine probably died because these things have electronics in them to step down the voltage and that electronics is probably not
designed to be protected from extended outdoor humidity. So when I buy one again I'll know to avoid that.

By the way, the ground shipping cost for these is ten bucks regardless if you buy one or a dozen.

Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
Thank you Z-man. I saw that and will probably order some for my kids. I have replaced all my inside bulbs with the LED's. I am waiting for outside LED flood lights to go on sale.....I need 10.

My electric bill is now running around $110.00 a month. It had been well over $200 and close to $300 or a little more in the summer.... the light bulbs, variable speed pool pump and a new high-efficiency heat pump (small industrial) and of course a hot water heater timer are responsible for the decrease.

FYI, there is no such thing as a "hot water heater"........................ Razz
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 pm

That also makes me want to do a little prognosticating.
If and when LED becomes the standard for lighting, I think it's likely that home electrical wiring will undergo a transformation.
Of course an LED is nothing but a diode. Diodes operate on very low voltage DC.
The 110 volt AC LED bulbs made now all require the extra expense of onboard voltage conversion inside each bulb package.
Once LED becomes a mainstay in household lighting, I think it's likely that we'll see houses built with low voltage electric supply circuits to avoid the need for all that. And an added benefit of that is those low voltage circuits will be a lot less of a potential fire and shock hazard. Not to mention the lighter gauge wiring required will be less expensive as well.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

FYI, there is no such thing as a "hot water heater"........................ Razz

Unless you leave it on all the time... cheers
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

LOL....my pet-peeve is when someone says....elevated up.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 pm

the LED bulbs I have are 7 watt....To me, they are equivalent to the 60 watt bulbs I that I replaced. Mine are the white light and appear to be much brighter.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

LOL....my pet-peeve is when someone says....elevated up.

I had a plumber doing some work one day and I mentioned hot water heater. He said the exact same thing and we commenced to argue about it. Finally he said that cold water comes in and hot water comes out, therefore it is heating cold water not hot water. Since then, I have referred to them as water heaters instead of hot water heater.

Oh Eric! It still doesn't heat hot water. It just maintains the water at thermostat temperature.................... bounce
Back to top Go down
ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Eric wrote:

I find that the luminosity on LED bulbs is always understated on the package. I intend to use these bulbs to replace 60 and 75-watt applications. I haved not yet used this brand, but 8.5 watt LEDs will be at least as bright as a 60-watt bulb, and might come close to a 75-watt incandescent.

Mine shipped today via FEDEX from Hutchins, TX, so I expect I will see them Monday; Tuesday latest.
Back to top Go down
ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 pm

All right, I just had to post a photo of one of these Eti multi-directional LED light bulbs here. This is the lamp on my bedstand:

New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com Eti_210

This is what they look like up close:

New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com Eti_110

The box says they are for replacing 50 watt incandescent bulbs, but they are much brighter than that. Easily replaces 60 watt and maybe even 75 watt incandescent bulbs.

I had to add this one to my LED light bulb review website.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com   New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com Empty

Back to top Go down

New LED Bulb Sale at 1000Bulbs.com
Page 1 of 1