Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' Empty
PostSubject: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 am

WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? WHO would DO such a thing to a helpless animal?? This make me SO angry. I hope someone finds who did this to this poor, sweet little kitty and they get what they have coming to them before their behavior escalates. It seems suspicious to me that no one has come forward even to claim the kitty as their own... that would indicate to me that whoever did this might well live in the home where this poor kitty also lived.
Mar. 20, 2013 7:59 PM
WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' Valiente_BurnedKitty
Valiente is the young, female cat that was set on fire and bound with zip ties. She is expected to live, according to Humane Society of Pensacola staff. / Rhema Thompson/rthompson3@pnj.com

Four days after being found bound and burned along Mobile Highway in Escambia County, a young cat appears to be living up to her new name: Valiente, which is Spanish for “brave.”

The friendly black and white feline was all purrs Wednesday as she waited for a can of cat food at the Humane Society of Pensacola.

“She is just an amazing cat and she has clearly been through a lot of horrible things,” said kennel technician Bethany Rittenhouse as she petted and played with the cat.

A couple who found the 8-month-old kitty limping around their neighborhood on Saturday brought her to the Humane Society, where she is now on the road to a lengthy recovery.

Her fur was charred from apparently being set on fire, according to the Humane Society. She had second-degree burns to her back, lacerations to her side and zip ties binding her feet.

Rittenhouse named the cat Valiente because of how well she’s handled the injuries.

“Ever since she came in, she’s always been very sweet. When we first took her out of the kennel on Saturday afternoon, she immediately was purring,” Rittenhouse said.

The cat suffered burns to her neck, shoulders, ears, forehead and around the eyes, said Dr. Mark Sprayberry of Olive Branch Pet Hospital on North Davis Highway.

Sprayberry, who examined her Saturday evening, said the burns appear to be worst around the eyes, where contracting tissue has affected her vision, particularly in the left eye. However, the cat’s eyeballs and ear canals appear to be functioning normally, he said.

He plans reconstructive surgery on Valiente’s eyes and ears in the next couple of weeks, depending on the way the injuries heal on their own.

“Reconstruction is a patience thing,” he said. “My goal is to perform one major surgery.”

For now, the little cat has been prescribed antibiotics and pain medication.

Sarah Humlie, managing director of the Humane Society of Pensacola, said no one has come forward with information to help authorities find who is responsible for the abuse.

“It just makes me sick that somebody is capable of that kind of cruelty,” she said. “I feel like if you can do terrible acts like that to an animal, you’re one step away from doing that to a human.”

Humlie said Valiente should be adoptable as soon as she is well again.

“We have somebody that’s going to foster her in their home so she’s comfortable and gets lots of attention and love while she heals,” Humlie said.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130321/NEWS01/303210018/Kitten-found-burned-bound-expected-to-make-recovery
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 am

This upsets me so much I can hardly bear to think about it. I had to force myself to read the initial article on the news.

A large part of me wishes I could face this person or persons alone in a deserted alley. The wise part of me knows I had best hope I never do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 am

This is the type of cruelty that will most likely lead to murder. I had to walk away from the computer yesterday when reading the article about the cat and the article regarding the severe child abuse suffered by one year old Destiny Johnson, she died 2 weeks later.

I can not stand cruelty towards humans or animals. BUT....as a society are we numb to the horrible conditions suffered by infants and children? While reading the stories.... only 1 reader commented about the inexcusable death of an infant while numerous comments were posted deploring the cruelty done to an 8 month old kitten. Children are just as defenseless as pets.

From the PNJ.........A Pensacola man who allegedly threw an infant into a bed when she wouldn't stop crying is now charged with second-degree murder following the baby's death last week.

Jeffrey Simmons, 29, is in the Escambia County Jail on no bond, Assistant State Attorney Bridgette Jensen said. The murder charge was filed today, and he will be arraigned on Thursday morning by Circuit Judge Ross Goodman. He also faces an aggravated child abuse charge. Destiny Johnson, 1, succumbed to her injuries on March 12 at Sacred Heart Hospital, about two weeks after she was abused. Simmons, along with the infant's mother, Demetria Johnson, were arrested at the hospital on Feb. 27.

Demetria, 27, now faces a charge of child neglect with great bodily harm, as well as another charge of neglect without great bodily harm, stemming from an alleged incident where Simmons, her boyfriend, used excessive physical punishment on her 7-year-old daughter.

Demetria is in the Escambia County Jail on $30,000 bond. She will also be arraigned Thursday.

Demetria Johnson’s other children said Simmons picked Destiny up by her neck and threw her onto her bed at their home on Srant Drive, an arrest report says. The infant was severely injured on her neck, face and head, and she had bleeding in the brain and an injured liver.

Demetria, according to the report, was in the room when Simmons threw the baby.

The state Department of Children and Families is looking into the case. Demetria's other children are being cared for by their father.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 am

I makes me sick about the kitty. Only an evil and dangerous person would do this to a defenseless animal. WHY??? What kind of sick mind gets a thrill out of this?

Joani, I agree with you too. I get the feeling sometimes that pets/animals are put above children.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 am

Joani, when I first read the article about that poor baby I also had to walk away. It was before they'd added the additional charge of murder and revoked bail. That was just too much for me to envision or imagine. He should get put down.

One of the security add-ons I have installed on FF prevents me from being able to view the comments @PNJ....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

It is a damn shame that we even HAVE people so deranged that they kill their children and torture defenseless animals.

Words cannot express the disgust...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 3:15 pm

I have seen many cases of child abuse.....One such case was child abuse toward an infant...The children in the home were removed for several weeks and returned to the home after the parent (father) attended a few mandatory parenting classes. The grandparents vehemently protested the return of the infants (twins). I watched the infant's autopsy....the infant had been taken by the legs and slammed into a wall repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
I have seen many cases of child abuse.....One such case was child abuse toward an infant...The children in the home were removed for several weeks and returned to the home after the parent (father) attended a few mandatory parenting classes. The grandparents vehemently protested the return of the infants (twins). I watched the infant's autopsy....the infant had been taken by the legs and slammed into a wall repeatedly.

I have a pretty strong stomach, as I imagine you do having been a nurse for so many years. But, those sorts of stories... they just make me feel sick and tears spring to my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'   WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties' Empty

Back to top Go down

WTF is wrong with people??! 'Cat found burned, bound with zip ties'
Page 1 of 1