Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. Empty
PostSubject: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Iran is suing the movie...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/world/meast/iran-argo-response/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

and the hostages are suing Iran...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/25/us/argo-iran-hostages-reparations/index.html
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. Empty
PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 am

Well, I have not yet seen the movie and I cannot say that I remember the hostage crisis since I was seven when it began and I was super busy out playing street hockey on roller skates and raising whatever variety of hell I could manage to get into.

However, of course we studied it in Poli Sci and I've read a fair amount about it over the years, but that is certainly not the same as watching it all go down on the news. Anyhoo...

It will be interesting to see how both of these lawsuits shake out. I certainly hope that the hostages receive reparations. Those poor folks... What an utter hell they must have endured.

Hey, here's a good article with a good deal more detail with respect to the 2nd article you posted, Bob.

Quote :
Isakson Introduces Legislation to Compensate Iran Hostage Crisis Victims
By Rome Newswire Staff Reports on Mar 13, 2013

U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson today introduced legislation that would properly compensate the 52 victims of the Iran hostage crisis for the 444 days they were held captive. The compensation would come from fees collected from violations of Iran sanctions.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., has signed on as the lead Democratic co-sponsor, making this legislation a bipartisan effort.

Isakson believes the 52 Americans who were held hostage for 444 days when Iranian radicals seized the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, Iran, in 1979 deserve more than the small compensation they received upon their release more than 30 years ago. Many of the hostages were terrorized and subjected to torture while held captive. In 1981, the hostages were freed by the Algiers Accords—an agreement between the U.S. and Iran that settled the crisis—that barred hostages from seeking damages for their imprisonment.

A group of 45 former hostages have sought to collect damages in court challenges over the years, but their efforts have been halted by the Algiers Accords, which was the deal brokered between the United States and Iran to release the hostages and prohibits the hostages from suing Iran. Isakson’s legislation provides an alternative avenue for the victims to collect compensation without violating the Algiers Accords. Three of the former hostages live in Isakson’s home state of Georgia.

“The 52 men and women victimized by the Iran hostage crisis experienced unimaginable fear, despair and torture while being held captive for 444 days. It is unacceptable that this group has not received meaningful compensation for what they went through,” said Isakson. “The Oscar-winning film Argo has reminded us all of the sacrifices and risks that members of the Foreign Service make to serve our country overseas in some dangerous places. The Iran hostages sacrificed mightily for our country, and I urge Congress to pass this legislation to demonstrate our support the brave men and women represent our country abroad.”

Currently, the Department of Treasury enforces U.S. sanctions on Iran. Isakson’s legislation would direct the secretary of the Treasury to establish a fund that would be used to pay the claims to the hostages. The fund would be financed from a surcharge added to fines and penalties assessed on any business or person that does business with Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions. Isakson’s bill would allow hostages or their family members to collect damages amounting to about $4.4 million each, or $10,000 for each day they were held captive. Five years after their release from Iran after being held for 444 days, the hostages received approximately $22,000 each, or $50 for each day held captive, from the U.S. government.

The Oscar-winning film Argo, which tells the story of how a CIA operative led the rescue of six U.S. Embassy employees from Iran during the Iran hostage crisis, has recently generated enormous public interest in the Iran hostage crisis. Isakson hopes to build on the momentum of the film to help the victims receive the compensation that they deserve.

http://romenewswire.com/2013/03/13/isakson-introduces-legislation-to-compensate-iran-hostage-crisis-victims/
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:12 am

I think I will sue Bob for posting the thread.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:24 am

I think I'll sue Bob for that Avatar he's using.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 2:03 pm

The most discouraging thing of all about that avatar is I put it as my profile picture on my facebook page and at least one person thought it had enough resemblance to me to be my actual picture when I was young. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Well, you wuz an ugly mofo. Razz
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 pm

It's not you?
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Actually it is me. I was just too embarrased to admit it but what the hell, I'm too old to care anymore. lol
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Thank God you don't look like that now, Bobaroonie!

(You looked very unhealthy)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.   For those who have seen the movie Argo.  And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis. Empty

Back to top Go down

For those who have seen the movie Argo. And those who remember the Iranian hostage crisis.
Page 1 of 1