Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... Empty
PostSubject: Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...   Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Create a System Restore Point. You can do it with Windows ME, XP, Vista, and 7.

An issue with Yella prompted me to say this. If you totally screw up your computer... And you have a recent Restore Point on your Windows computer, you can select a restore point and roll your computer back to a point where everything is good. When you select a previously set Restore Point, the system will remove all software, settings and Registry entries that were made since that restore point. It does NOT delete your data files, like Word Documents, Excel files, pictures, etc. Any good software package that's worth it's salt will create a Restore Point as part of the install routine, so you may have some already.

It doesn't hurt to create a new Restore Point say, every month or so. I don't recommend using a restore point that is old, so Create A Restore Point! If you don't create a Restore Point, you may have no Restore Point to fall back to if you have a problem.

Google Restore Point for your operating system for instructions on how to do it. I have Windows7 and here's what it looks like:

I hit the START button, and typed "Restore Point" (see first graphic) then hit the Enter key

Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... Restor10

Then the window in the graphic below opens. I drew a box around the button to highlight "Create a new Restore Point". I clicked there and it wanted me to put a description, so I typed the word "Manual" in the blank and hit Enter again. If a few seconds, it should say it is complete... Voila

Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... Restor11

Last edited by EricEricson on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...   Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 am

Great Idea. I just did it. Thanks for the reminder.
Back to top Go down
ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PostSubject: Re: Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...   Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm

I have had to use System Restore a number of times; most recently about a month ago.

I am still using Windows XP, 32 bit version, with SP-3. I bought the disk from an online vendor in 2003. There was no way I was going to upgrade to Vista, and XP meets all of my needs, so why bother upgrading to Windows 7? Windows 8 will be out soon, and maybe I will wait and see how it runsl.

I am still using Quicken 2000, too. Intuit has asked me to upgrade several times, but why bother when all I use it for is a checkbook register?
Back to top Go down
http://www.led-flashlight-reviews.com/
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...   Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
I have had to use System Restore a number of times; most recently about a month ago.

I am still using Windows XP, 32 bit version, with SP-3. I bought the disk from an online vendor in 2003. There was no way I was going to upgrade to Vista, and XP meets all of my needs, so why bother upgrading to Windows 7? Windows 8 will be out soon, and maybe I will wait and see how it runsl.

I am still using Quicken 2000, too. Intuit has asked me to upgrade several times, but why bother when all I use it for is a checkbook register?

I still use FrontPage2000 for my web stuff. It's quirky, but I like the way it remembers links. For instance, if I change a link, it'll pop up a window and say I have 5 pages that reference that link "want to update them?" And, I like the way it analyzes the pages for bad links... although I haven't used that lately. I know that Microsoft isn't doing anything with FrontPage anymore... and it seems they have gone to CSS. Maybe I'll look into CSS one day... or not.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...   Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 am

If your system is running fine, create a restore point. Just a friendly reminder. If your system "goes South", you'll be glad you did...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...   Your Windows machine running fine?  NOW is the time to... Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Windows machine running fine? NOW is the time to...
Page 1 of 1