Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anybody use an Airport Express?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Anybody use an Airport Express? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody use an Airport Express?   Anybody use an Airport Express? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I bought one about a month ago, used it for a day, then it quit working. Traded it for a new one at Best Buy, where I bought the original one.

In the past I have hooked the headphone slot in my laptop to connect to my stereo receiver. This means I must have the laptop running next to the receiver. So, when I wanted to play music via remote control, I would start the laptop, load iTunes on it and control the laptop's iTunes with the iPad over wifi using an app called "remote". Alternatively, I would use an app called "Logmein" to control the whole laptop (not just iTunes) via wifi with the iPad.

Both of those apps had unacceptable lags just felt kinda clumsy. So, I bought an Apple Airport Express ($99). It is a router that has a printer port and more importantly, a stereo audio out that I can run into my receiver. You fire up the iPad's iTunes, you play the songs on your iPad directly (no lag, control volume, etc.) but, click an icon in iTunes that makes it stream via wifi to the Airport Express and out to the receiver. It communicates with the iPad via 802.11(n) at 300 Mbps at 5GHz AND 150 Mbps at 2.4GHz, so bandwidth isn't a problem.

Here's a pic of the connectors on the box, which is a little larger than a cigarette package.
Anybody use an Airport Express? Airpor10

It is designed to connect to the internet (via your cable modem, DSL box... whatever), but I don't have ethernet connections in the room with the receiver. I just want it to stream audio to the receiver, which it will do without having to use it as a router.

The question: Does anybody else use one of these? If so, will it last? I ask this because my first one quit working. I also had trouble connecting my laptop to it directly via wifi, and it is supposed to work. Anybody else get a PC to connect to one?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Anybody use an Airport Express?
Page 1 of 1