Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits Empty
PostSubject: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 am

This story sickened me. To think of all the rape victims went through at the hospital in hopes the perpetrator would be caught and convicted.....the evidence-collecting, the testing, the interviews.....and then the rape kits were filed away and forgotten?

http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/15/15848051-prosecutor-leads-effort-to-test-long-abandoned-rape-kits-brings-justice-to-victims?lite
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 10:12 am

Frightening...
So far, 600 kits have been tested, and investigators say that they have discovered evidence of 21 serial rapists.

One kit from 2002 revealed DNA belonging to a man who was in prison for the murder of three women. The murders had been committed during the seven years the rape kit sat on a warehouse shelf.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 pm

I doubt this is a Detroit-only problem. I have read about this before... and it probably wasn't about Detroit... although it could have been.

What a sad state of affairs it is when women, having been subjected to the trauma of rape, undergo the humiliation of having a rape kit sample taken... only to have the damn kit sit on a shelf somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Not to mention the other rapes and murders that occurred.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 pm

This makes me sick.

Obviously women who are raped are traumatized. The few who choose to press charges usually describe that process as being traumatized all over again or traumatized a second time. To go through that then find out someone stuck your rape kit on a shelf in a warehouse instead of taking it to the lab to get it tested... completely unfathomable to me.

I can't understand how this happens. I can see how someone could make a human error if it happened once, but ELEVEN THOUSAND TIMES?? There is something systemically wrong there. And where the hell is Internal Affairs??
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 am

It sickens me too, Rice. Unbelievable.

Kudos to the female prosecutor who exposed this!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits   Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits Empty

Back to top Go down

Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape test kits
Page 1 of 1