Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Anti-Trumpers Are Reclaiming the American Flag

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wilburforce

wilburforce

How Anti-Trumpers Are Reclaiming the American Flag Empty
PostSubject: How Anti-Trumpers Are Reclaiming the American Flag   How Anti-Trumpers Are Reclaiming the American Flag EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 6:32 pm

About a month before the election, Curtis Woodall logged onto Amazon and ordered an American flag. The 72-year-old Vietnam War veteran and retired infantry soldier had taken his old flag down about a year into the Trump administration. “It hurt. It did,” Woodall said. But he didn’t want anyone in his neighborhood outside Columbia, South Carolina, to associate him with President Donald Trump’s racial rhetoric or anti-immigrant policies. He grew angry when he saw American flags on pickup trucks around town. “They’ve always got a Trump flag and the American flag,” he said. “And I said, ‘That’s bull. That is desecrating the flag that I served over 20 years with.’”

Now, at last, it looked like Trump might lose, so Woodall set his new flag on the dining room table and waited. When the election was called for Joe Biden, “I said, ‘Time for my flag to go up,’” Woodall told me by phone, a couple of weeks later. He sent me a photo of the flag, still hanging beside his garage, his own Dodge Ram pickup in the foreground.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/29/politics-capture-the-us-flag-trump-maga-symbol-440374
Back to top Go down

How Anti-Trumpers Are Reclaiming the American Flag
Page 1 of 1