Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? Empty
PostSubject: SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?   SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 3:41 pm

I just got a new laptop (my POS HP crapped out on me, no surprise!) and there is a setting that is driving me insane that I can't seem to change. I think it's a Windows 8 thing, but who knows, it could be a Dell thing...

When I make a certain (unidentifiable) gesture on the mouse pad, a vertical bar on the right side panel and a rectangle on the lower left pop up. The one on the right side has a few icons... search, share, start, device, and settings. The one on the lower left has the date & time, how many bars I have, and the battery/AC indicator.

These little screens constantly pop up while I am typing, scrolling, or otherwise using my mouse pad, and when they do, the screen and mouse freeze until I can get out of this mode. I cannot make this happen on purpose. I have no idea what gesture it is I am swiping or whatever that's making this happen, but it is driving me absolutely batshit insane.

There was one setting that I already disabled (see below) to prevent some other "charms" horseshit from popping up on my screen.

SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? Navigation

Evil or Very Mad   scratch  confused  Neutral  Mad

Oh, I just disabled Windows "animations"... maybe that will do it?? Somebody, please help me. And by "somebody" I mean you, Eric. lol. Kidding, I don't care who helps me I just need this nonsense disabled.

Last edited by riceme on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?   SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 5:25 pm

So, this is the irritation:

SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? Charms

And although I thought I disabled the stupid "charms" via above method, clearly I did not. The below methods also failed to disable the charms.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/how-to-disable-the-charms-bar-gesture-none-of-the/ba1f906f-da26-4dbd-a19d-afd8bdf8c94f?auth=1

I first tried just the 'right-edge swipe" and that didn't work, so then I disabled all gestures. Still failed to disable this stupid fing function.

SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? Gestures

Back to top Go down
Nosyarg

PostSubject: Re: SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?   SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 pm

I advise you to upgrade to Windows 10. Almost everything about Windows 8 is irritating.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?   SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 6:21 am

I hate trackpads. Mine is almost always disabled. If mine is enabled, I inadvertently touch the trackpad while typing, the cursor jumps somewhere else and I find out that I am typing in the wrong spot.

There are no charms in Windows 10 that I know of. Download it while it is still free.

Sorry, Ricey. I don't know how to kill the charms bar. Keep at it until you achieve your goal. (I'm persistent.)
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?   SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Okay, well you've convinced me to go to Windows 10. My experience with "upgrades" is that they are not upgrades at all (let's hear it for XP Professional!!)), so my go-to response is to block them or ignore them for as long as possible. Perhaps not the solution in this case.

Thanks, guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?   SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue? Empty

Back to top Go down

SOS, please send help... Windows 8 or Dell issue?
Page 1 of 1