Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help Empty
PostSubject: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm pretty adept with Excel... I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm an expert, but I can do everything my job requires and then some. I love the program... it's super nifty for all sorts of things, and I use it to track my personal finances as well as at using it daily for work. I worked a couple regular days then a couple 14-hr days this week, so I'm catching up on some personal finance malarkey today.

Anyhow, I came across an issue in .xlxs Excel today that I cannot seem to troubleshoot... in the very simplest of functions, no less! I went to SUM a column of + and - transactions and the SUM came out to a very obviously too large number. I went to the previous month and performed the same function and got the same (or similar) result at which time I realized that Excel was reading the - transactions as +'s. ???!!!

I have never before seen or heard of this, and went through to ensure there were no accidental spaces or anything hinky, and there isn't... Any ideas from our Excel users? I'd surely appreciate it.

Like a Star @ heaven Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Huh. Well I figgered it out. I went into Format Cells and changed the column/s to Currency :: $USD and that resolved the issue.

Weird... like I said, I've never before had an issue with SUMming data that was in the GENERAL format that I recall... but then, I seem to recall that I recently had a Windows Update that effected Excel, and maybe that was the issue.

Anyhoo, thanks anyhow! Wink

Figure I'll leave this here for others knowledge and/or commentary.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

riceme wrote:
Huh. Well I figgered it out. I went into Format Cells and changed the column/s to Currency :: $USD and that resolved the issue.

Weird... like I said, I've never before had an issue with SUMming data that was in the GENERAL format that I recall... but then, I seem to recall that I recently had a Windows Update that effected Excel, and maybe that was the issue.

Glad you found the problem. I was going to ask you to make sure that your number format was correct.

I am some what an expert with Excel. I have developed spreadsheets using them for years. I have a few that have been copyrighted and are proprietary.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
riceme wrote:

Glad you found the problem. I was going to ask you to make sure that your number format was correct.

I am some what an expert with Excel. I have developed spreadsheets using them for years. I have a few that have been copyrighted and are proprietary.

Thanks, GR... I appreciate it. I've been using Excel pretty much all day every day for about 14-years and have learned by doing for the most part, which is how I learn best.

Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but I don't recall that I've ever before had an issue w/SUM in General format. However, I did only get a few hours sleep last night... damn insomnia! So, who knows!? lol.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 pm

I used to use Excel a lot back in the 1990's, but have forgotten a bunch of it. I was thinking it was a column definition problem, but I was just taking a SWAG.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Yer SWAG was right on. I musta been having a brain fart. I's needs sum sleeps before I go out to watch the Friday night fights!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 am

I have no expertise whatsoever with Excel, but I know someone who does. If you encounter any other problems, Riceme, I'll ask him next time I see him. (EDIT: It looks like Ghost and Eric can handle any problems. Just another reason I love our forum!)

I need to get in there and teach myself Excel. We use it at work, but I've always depended on our resident Excel guru to solve any problems. I do delegate well. silent
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am

PBulldog2 wrote:
I have no expertise whatsoever with Excel, but I know someone who does. If you encounter any other problems, Riceme, I'll ask him next time I see him. (EDIT: It looks like Ghost and Eric can handle any problems. Just another reason I love our forum!)

I need to get in there and teach myself Excel. We use it at work, but I've always depended on our resident Excel guru to solve any problems. I do delegate well. silent

PB that's the way it usually happens. Someone designs the database to suit the needs of the client/office and then entering/changing the data then becomes a piece of cake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help   Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help Empty

Back to top Go down

Issue w/Excel (.xlxs)... looking for some help
Page 1 of 1