Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Thursday's Debate Participants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 66
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Thursday's Debate Participants   Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 pm



CLEVELAND (AP) — Ten candidates have made the cut for the first Republican presidential debate Thursday, with polling front-runner Donald Trump hoping for a civil evening but ready to pounce if attacked.

Debate field is set: Trump, Bush in; Santorum, Fiorina out Associated Press
Debate Field Set: Trump, Cruz In; Perry, Fiorina Out CBS Dallas Fort Worth (RSS)
Fox News Announces Prime-Time GOP Debate Lineup; Rick Perry Out The Wall Street Journal
Who's in and who's out at the first GOP presidential debate Associated Press
GOP Awaits Top 10 Announcement For First Debate CBS Dallas Fort Worth (RSS)
The seven others lagging in the polls and relegated to an afternoon forum? Call them the not-ready-for-prime-time players, at least in the eyes of debate organizers.

Sharing the Cleveland stage with the billionaire businessman will be former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

Candidates with time to watch that debate are former tech executive Carly Fiorina, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, former New York Gov. George Pataki and former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore.

The largest field of contenders in modern memory challenged debate organizers. Fox News relied on an average of five national polls to decide the lineups for the prime-time debate and the forum four hours earlier.

"We never ever envisioned we'd have 17 major candidates," said Steve Duprey, New Hampshire's representative to the Republican National Committee who helped craft the debate plan. "There's no perfect solution."

Republican officials were particularly concerned about Fiorina's status, hoping she would help balance Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton's push to rally women. Trump's recent surge in the polls, a surprise to many Republican officials, damaged Fiorina's chances.

Some Republicans fear that Trump's rhetoric on immigration and other issues could hurt the party.

"I probably am the target," he said Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America." He said he did not want to attack any of his rivals and preferred to "just discuss the issues" in the course of a "very civil" debate. Still, he made clear that if attacked, he would have "to do something back."

Trump was far and away the front-runner in the five most recent national polls that determined the debate lineup. Several candidates were grouped together in the single digits, most separated by a number smaller than the margin of error.

For example, in a Monmouth University survey released Monday, Kasich was the 10th candidate with the support of 3.2 percent of voters. But after taking the margin of error into account, Monmouth noted that Kasich's support could be as low as 1.5 percent, while almost any of the candidates who polled lower could be that high or higher.

Five more party-sanctioned debates are scheduled before primary voting begins in February.

"This first debate is just one opportunity of many," Amy Frederick, an aide to Fiorina, wrote supporters. "With many more debates to come, we fully expect that Carly will soon stand on the stage and show America what real leadership looks like."

Jindal spokeswoman Shannon Dirmann issued a challenge of sorts: "The governor will debate anyone anywhere at any time."

Candidates already began to turn their attention toward Trump.

Asked about Trump while courting religious conservatives on Tuesday, Bush said the businessman's rhetoric on immigrants is "wrong." ''We have a different tone and a different view," he said.

"I respect the fact that he's the front-runner for the Republican nomination," Bush continued. "This is a serious thing. But I think to win and govern the right way — we have to unite rather than divide."

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:44 am

Eric wrote:


CLEVELAND (AP) — Ten candidates have made the cut for the first Republican presidential debate Thursday, with polling front-runner Donald Trump hoping for a civil evening but ready to pounce if attacked.

Debate field is set: Trump, Bush in; Santorum, Fiorina out Associated Press
Debate Field Set: Trump, Cruz In; Perry, Fiorina Out CBS Dallas Fort Worth (RSS)
Fox News Announces Prime-Time GOP Debate Lineup; Rick Perry Out The Wall Street Journal
Who's in and who's out at the first GOP presidential debate Associated Press
GOP Awaits Top 10 Announcement For First Debate CBS Dallas Fort Worth (RSS)
The seven others lagging in the polls and relegated to an afternoon forum? Call them the not-ready-for-prime-time players, at least in the eyes of debate organizers.

Sharing the Cleveland stage with the billionaire businessman will be former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

Candidates with time to watch that debate are former tech executive Carly Fiorina, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, former New York Gov. George Pataki and former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore.

The largest field of contenders in modern memory challenged debate organizers. Fox News relied on an average of five national polls to decide the lineups for the prime-time debate and the forum four hours earlier.

"We never ever envisioned we'd have 17 major candidates," said Steve Duprey, New Hampshire's representative to the Republican National Committee who helped craft the debate plan. "There's no perfect solution."

Republican officials were particularly concerned about Fiorina's status, hoping she would help balance Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton's push to rally women. Trump's recent surge in the polls, a surprise to many Republican officials, damaged Fiorina's chances.

Some Republicans fear that Trump's rhetoric on immigration and other issues could hurt the party.

"I probably am the target," he said Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America." He said he did not want to attack any of his rivals and preferred to "just discuss the issues" in the course of a "very civil" debate. Still, he made clear that if attacked, he would have "to do something back."

Trump was far and away the front-runner in the five most recent national polls that determined the debate lineup. Several candidates were grouped together in the single digits, most separated by a number smaller than the margin of error.

For example, in a Monmouth University survey released Monday, Kasich was the 10th candidate with the support of 3.2 percent of voters. But after taking the margin of error into account, Monmouth noted that Kasich's support could be as low as 1.5 percent, while almost any of the candidates who polled lower could be that high or higher.

Five more party-sanctioned debates are scheduled before primary voting begins in February.

"This first debate is just one opportunity of many," Amy Frederick, an aide to Fiorina, wrote supporters. "With many more debates to come, we fully expect that Carly will soon stand on the stage and show America what real leadership looks like."

Jindal spokeswoman Shannon Dirmann issued a challenge of sorts: "The governor will debate anyone anywhere at any time."

Candidates already began to turn their attention toward Trump.

Asked about Trump while courting religious conservatives on Tuesday, Bush said the businessman's rhetoric on immigrants is "wrong." ''We have a different tone and a different view," he said.

"I respect the fact that he's the front-runner for the Republican nomination," Bush continued. "This is a serious thing. But I think to win and govern the right way — we have to unite rather than divide."


With ten candidates they'll barely have time to get through the opening and closing statements of each....Telling a politician to limit their responses is laughable...
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 am

What a circus act......
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:49 am

nochain wrote:
What a circus act......

Always makes me laugh when the questioner asks...Explain your immigration policies/ideas....You have 90 seconds...
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:20 am

I wonder if the Dems will make Billary debate herself.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:41 am

nochain wrote:
I wonder if the Dems will make Billary debate herself.

The Dems don't even want her on the stage with Sanders...Webb...and O'Malley!....Now with the NY Post article saying the FBI Probe is definitely a Criminal Investigation sure she'll become more of a recluse...Wonder if she's being fitted with a jumpsuit with a number on it?....The was an eagerness on the part of the Dems to go after Gen Petraeus let's see if they have the same drive in this case....
Back to top Go down
Linda

avatar

Posts : 554
Join date : 2014-11-22
Age : 56
Location : FL

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:45 pm

"Happy Hour" debate was best with Carly Fiorina. I think the cream will come to the top. Trump will be ousted from the clown car, Fiorina will refuse to climb aboard and will continue to be her own woman.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:12 am

Linda wrote:
"Happy Hour" debate was best with Carly Fiorina.  I think the cream will come to the top.  Trump will be ousted from the clown car, Fiorina will refuse to climb aboard and will continue to be her own woman.  

She stood far above the others in her ability to be clear...concise...and thinking on her feet....Personally feel she would shred hrc in a debate....

In the evening debate...thought that Kasich proved that he belonged in the top tier and hopefully as you stated it will decline in numbers before the second round of debates. Rubio also gave the appearance of being presidential and would also display a great contrast on the same stage with hrc...Thought that Trump came off just as many expected...he's a soundbite candidate with no substance and as always aiming for the outrageous/self-promoting.....
Back to top Go down
Linda

avatar

Posts : 554
Join date : 2014-11-22
Age : 56
Location : FL

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:16 am

Yes, Kasich, seems to be a good choice. Experienced.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:28 am

Linda wrote:
Yes, Kasich, seems to be a good choice.  Experienced.

He's not the most dynamic speaker but we've had dynamic speakers....Kasich does come off as humble and honest--two qualities that have been missed the last six almost seven years....
Back to top Go down
polecat

avatar

Posts : 361
Join date : 2013-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
I wonder if the Dems will make Billary debate herself.

    The Dems don't even want her on the stage with Sanders...Webb...and O'Malley!....Now with the NY Post article saying the FBI Probe is definitely a Criminal Investigation sure she'll become more of a recluse...Wonder if she's being fitted with a jumpsuit with a number on it?....The was an eagerness on the part of the Dems to go after Gen Petraeus  let's see if they have the same drive in this case....

The was an eagerness to get Hillary any way they can.
The was a ''unknown sources'' that told NY comPost that it was a definitely a Criminal Investigation, not the FBI but a unknown source and if there is anybody that is trustworthy it is definitely ''unknown sources''

The was Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi affraid
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

avatar

Posts : 1017
Join date : 2013-02-14
Location : 45th Parallel

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

It's cute that your devotion is unwavering while she gets away with something that you never could. Try destroying evidence if you are ever being audited or investigated... you won't find any mercy comrade.
Back to top Go down
polecat

avatar

Posts : 361
Join date : 2013-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:07 pm

PkrBum wrote:
It's cute that your devotion is unwavering while she gets away with something that you never could. Try destroying evidence if you are ever being audited or investigated... you won't find any mercy comrade.

You might get your own show on foxx news... Ollie North
Back to top Go down
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 66
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:08 pm

I like quotes by Ollie North.

Quote :
I was provided with additional input that was radically different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that version.

Quote :
If you could have imagined that someone is happy that Obama is president, it has to be Jimmy Carter because he is no longer the worst president in our history.

Quote :
It's one thing to say don't commit atrocities on the battlefield. It's another thing to say don't get caught doing atrocities.

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:20 am

PkrBum wrote:
It's cute that your devotion is unwavering while she gets away with something that you never could. Try destroying evidence if you are ever being audited or investigated... you won't find any mercy comrade.

Well stated....Do as I say [campaign] not as I do or have done---Perfect for hrc and her supporters...Guess with the turning over of her server those unnamed sources have some credibility....Those witch hunters and right wing conspiracy theories were all dismissed as liars against bubba too....well, until Monica broke out the stained blue dress....today it just might be a stained server...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Thursday's Debate Participants   

Back to top Go down
 
Thursday's Debate Participants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Politics-
Jump to: