Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....

Go down 
+2
riceme
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Empty
PostSubject: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 1:48 am

http://deadmalls.com/stories.html

Florida

Colonial Plaza Mall: Orlando, FL
Crossroads Mall: Clearwater, FL
Crystal River Mall: Crystal River, FL
Festival Bay Mall: Orlando, FL
Gulfgate Mall: Sarasota, FL
The Mall At 163rd St: North Miami Beach, FL
Miracle City Mall: Titusville, FL
Omni International Mall of Miami: Miami, FL
Osceola Square Mall: Kissimmee (Orlando), FL
Palm Beach Mall: West Palm Beach, FL
Seminole Mall: Seminole, FL
Tampa Bay Center: Tampa, FL
Tallahassee Mall: Tallahassee, FL
Winter Park Mall: Winter Park, FL
University Mall: Pensacola, FL <---when did this close ? HUMMM

Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 1:53 am

List of defunct stores courtesy of wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_retailers_of_the_United_States
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
List of defunct stores courtesy of wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_retailers_of_the_United_States

I'm not going to go back through to list them all, but we still have quite a few of these defunct retailers in Alaska, but it's okay, we already know that we don't count and we're okay with it.

I love you
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 am

Deadmalls?
you ever heard of the internet, Amazon or eBay?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 10:34 am

Yes maybe you can buy a hambuger with tomato off the internet and have it delivered by a drone...I am sure the internet will take your food stamps...
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Retail and marketing...for every dead mall there is mostly likely a thriving outdoor mall area. In Pensacola we went from downtown shopping on Palafox and Town and Country Plaza type shopping areas to Cordova and University Malls. What happened? The downtown area and other shopping plazas died. The pendulum swings...ebb and flow...you get the picture.

In my opinion, the only reason Cordova is still in business is because of the anchor stores of Dillards and Belk and then outside shopping with electronics, home goods, and restaurants.

People who enjoy shopping like the total experience. People who don't shop from the internet.

University Mall's attempt at revival doesn't seem too great. The restaurants on the outskirts seem to be doing well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 pm

polecat wrote:
Deadmalls?

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRZpFrtf36BmRbDI1484YdPw61t4teylb4WWTWvq-ipbsWQCaS1g

Yeah... Buying from people who probably don't have a retailer license, much less not buying from a local retailer, really persuades those local merchants to support raising taxes... Which those internet sellers most likely don't pay any taxes on the merchandise they sell at all. That really supplies the revenue for your new school, library, football stadium, skate park, etc..... Not to mention revenue for your SSDI payments as you sit at home waiting for mom to bring you lunch.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-R8gHj_7v8

Smile
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:24 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Yes maybe you can buy a hambuger with tomato off the internet and have it delivered by a drone...I am sure the internet will take your food stamps...

you do your grocery shopping at the mall do ya...
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Damaged Eagle wrote:
polecat wrote:
Deadmalls?

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRZpFrtf36BmRbDI1484YdPw61t4teylb4WWTWvq-ipbsWQCaS1g

Yeah... Buying from people who probably don't have a retailer license, much less not buying from a local retailer, really persuades those local merchants to support raising taxes... Which those internet sellers most likely don't pay any taxes on the merchandise they sell at all. That really supplies the revenue for your new school, library, football stadium, skate park, etc..... Not to mention revenue for your SSDI payments as you sit at home waiting for mom to bring you lunch.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

So you buy all your stuff from local merchants do you? Raising taxes? around here? to many republicans in this area to worry about that. SSDI? you mean the government checks delivered to all those republican white trash trailer park romeos with there neck tattoos.
I'm at work and my mother is dead FYI. I thought we were talking about Malls. How many local merchants operate out of malls?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Mall "anchors" are almost always national-level chains, and a high percentage of non-anchor tenants are chains as well, but not all of 'em.

The problem with the malls is that the lease payments are astronomical. It doesn't surprise me that businesses choose to locate on cheaper properties... away from malls. Some malls (like Cordova) will do well, but many will fail.

It is encouraging to see that Downtown Pensacola (Palafox in particular) seem to be prospering.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 10:13 pm

polecat wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
polecat wrote:
Deadmalls?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

So you buy all your stuff from local merchants do you? Raising taxes? around here? to many republicans in this area to worry about that. SSDI? you mean the government checks delivered to all those republican white trash trailer park romeos with there neck tattoos.
I'm at work and my mother is dead FYI. I thought we were talking about Malls. How many local merchants operate out of malls?  

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR8Tmok4bsYDxlA7pcv8X96rXh3EPTksw4LP5U8rK48fQc4re31Q

So now all Republicans are white trash instead of the super rich eh?... I do wish you'd make up your mind about what represents the demographics of Republicans... Are they avoiding taxes by being poor trailer trash or are they avoiding taxes by being super rich?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 am

Eric wrote:
Mall "anchors" are almost always national-level chains, and a high percentage of non-anchor tenants are chains as well, but not all of 'em.

The problem with the malls is that the lease payments are astronomical.  It doesn't surprise me that businesses choose to locate on cheaper properties... away from malls.  Some malls (like Cordova) will do well, but many will fail.  

It is encouraging to see that Downtown Pensacola (Palafox in particular) seem to be prospering.

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI0l2RlVY762mhRpWGRj0z-x0clcbsnCh16HdD9IYL3Lnb3XHSuA

Actually Southdale Mall in Minneapolis MN (Which BTW is the oldest mall in the US), Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines IA, and Mall Of the Bluffs in Council Bluffs IA, are all pretty much privately owned independent merchants inside... Something about the malls being to old and out of date for those big retail chains.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7BAfXn85Y

Smile
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 am

Damaged Eagle wrote:
Eric wrote:

The problem with the malls is that the lease payments are astronomical.  It doesn't surprise me that businesses choose to locate on cheaper properties... away from malls.  Some malls (like Cordova) will do well, but many will fail.  

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI0l2RlVY762mhRpWGRj0z-x0clcbsnCh16HdD9IYL3Lnb3XHSuA

Actually Southdale Mall in Minneapolis MN (Which BTW is the oldest mall in the US), Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines IA, and Mall Of the Bluffs in Council Bluffs IA, are all pretty much privately owned independent merchants inside... Something about the malls being to old and out of date for those big retail chains.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7BAfXn85Y

Smile

That may be true. However, every mall I have been in has been anchored by chains and is mostly chains inside. I suspect malls with a majority of local businesses are rare indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:44 pm

http://wolfstreet.com/2015/04/16/bankruptcies-soar-across-corporate-america-not-just-oil/

Bankruptcies Suddenly Soar Across Corporate America, Worst First Quarter Since 2009
by Wolf Richter • April 16, 2015

Come down to Houston,” William Snyder, leader of the Deloitte Corporate Restructuring Group, told Reuters. “You’ll see there is just a stream of consultants and bankruptcy attorneys running around this town.”

But it’s not just in Houston or in the oil patch. It’s in retail, healthcare, mining, finance…. Bankruptcies are suddenly booming, after years of drought.

In the first quarter, 26 publicly traded corporations filed for bankruptcy, up from 11 at the same time last year, Reuters reported. Six of these companies listed assets of over $1 billion, the most since Financial-Crisis year 2009. In total, they listed $34 billion in assets, the second highest for a first quarter since before the financial crisis, behind only the record $102 billion in 2009.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:50 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm

nochain wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

LOL!

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP_oEQ7ZNnHEQ4hUiEFNkKBAjwcG8CygNipn5ir2ceLM4-vCniEg

I do admit that Teo has shown special artistic humor in his statement and I did want to comment on it earlier...

Teo. I bestow on you the honorary title of...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9KWU-ntBk

pirat
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:18 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
http://wolfstreet.com/2015/04/16/bankruptcies-soar-across-corporate-america-not-just-oil/

Bankruptcies Suddenly Soar Across Corporate America, Worst First Quarter Since 2009
by Wolf Richter • April 16, 2015

Come down to Houston,” William Snyder, leader of the Deloitte Corporate Restructuring Group, told Reuters. “You’ll see there is just a stream of consultants and bankruptcy attorneys running around this town.”

But it’s not just in Houston or in the oil patch. It’s in retail, healthcare, mining, finance…. Bankruptcies are suddenly booming, after years of drought.

In the first quarter, 26 publicly traded corporations filed for bankruptcy, up from 11 at the same time last year, Reuters reported. Six of these companies listed assets of over $1 billion, the most since Financial-Crisis year 2009. In total, they listed $34 billion in assets, the second highest for a first quarter since before the financial crisis, behind only the record $102 billion in 2009.

Our entire economy is built on oil and mining, so things are tough up here... layoffs on the slope, in the steel industry, in government, the universities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....   Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Deadmalls.com..but I thought the economy was great !..just heard 200 Walgreens to close now.....
Page 1 of 1