Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A really interesting helpful survival website

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

A really interesting helpful survival website Empty
PostSubject: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 8:26 pm

http://thekeytosurvival.com/default.htm

I love this topic because I love the outdoors.

I dont go camping as much as I used to, or anything else for that matter. Neutral

But I enjoy learning all the amazing tricks to surviving in the wilderness.

I grew up camping. That was probaly the one thing that we did as a family. Not just my parents, but sometimes aunts, uncles etc. Great times with the cuzes.

One thing that I have been thinking about lately is "writings".

Everything is electronic. Even in schools they are going to electronic.

Wonder if something happened and we were not able to access this valuble data to survive. Even simple things like water distilation or how to preserve foods, grow foods, which plants to eat,make simple things such as fish nets hooks, traps, medicines.. so many things that we rely on others to do for us.

its a shame that people who want to be educated in this area and stay prepared are now looked down upon in society. They used to be reverned.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 pm

If someone starves to death because they don't know how to grow and put up food or because they don't know what can and cannot be eaten in nature that's their own damn fault. Darwin's theory of natural selection hard at work. But you have to bear in mind that if the shit hits the fan we could be in a situation where we cannot grow, gather or hunt our food in very large regions for many years. That's why the preppers put up all the water, dry and canned goods in their hidey-holes.

I have decided that we're pretty much screwed up here if the shit hits the fan and hunting/gathering/growing is a no-go. We'd either die from dehydration, starvation or we'd freeze to death... eventually. But there would be a lot of fighting first. We are the most heavily armed county in the nation. Our winter is way too long, any potential water source is frozen solid for way too much of the year, snow would be contaminated, few people have woodstoves,... bad situation.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:09 pm

On the up side people taste good and they are slow and easy to kill.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:13 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
On the up side people taste good and they are slow and easy to kill.

Always looking on the bright side. I'm pretty sure I would eat the other white meat if I got hungry enough. pirat
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:26 pm

I doubt I would but then survival is about doing what it takes to live. Women would be of little power in a total meltdown. They would have to use cunning and deceit to survive. Perhaps women need to learn to shoot well.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
I doubt I would but then survival is about doing what it takes to live. Women would be of little power in a total meltdown. They would have to use cunning and deceit to survive. Perhaps women need to learn to shoot well.

Then women would rule the world because most of the women I know are the very definition of both cunning and deceitful. 90% of the women I know are excellent shots. You need to up the quality of gals you hang with, T. Either that or go west then hang a far north.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Well I know a lot of women and few of them could survive without a man to protect them. That said I know you have had a special ed class in survival all your life... There are exceptions to every rule.

A really interesting helpful survival website ?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-sKZHwzf61j4%2FT3tZYjinEJI%2FAAAAAAAADZw%2FOO8sEY2WHOU%2Fs1600%2Fcrazy%2Bwomen%2Bin%2Bwalmart
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:48 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Well I know a lot of women and few of them could survive without a man to protect them. That said I know you have had a special ed class in survival all your life... There are exceptions to every rule.

Yeah, you're right. I've had the remedial course in survival but that doesn't mean I would not want a good man by my side if shit went down. Even if I had one of my own I would take him and go be with my cousin and his family. But really, Alaska breeds tougher women than the lower 48. Nearly all women here hunt and are great shots. Err, the women I know anyways.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Alaska is where those that want to survive should be....no weaponized virus would show his face there. It would also be too costly and difficult to target the people in such a large state. Nuther factor is the lower 48 would run out of deer and rabbits instantly. Alaska has a much better ratio of natural food to people. Also it's hard to get to from the lower 48..Thing is, if you don't know how to survive Alaska itself you are bear bait or will just become a Popsicle.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:29 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Alaska is where those that want to survive should be....no weaponized virus would show his face there. It would also be too costly and difficult to target the people in such a large state. Big plus is the lower 48 would run out of deer and rabbits instantly. Alaska has a much better ratio of natural food to people. Also it's hard to get to from the lower 48..

Well, I hear what you're saying but we have a shit-ton of military installations (one is a few miles from me, a second is about 15-miles from me, and so on). But I get your point that we would not be an obvious first, second or third target. However, if something nuclear went down and by way of wind, water or otherwise we were not able to hunt, gather or grow, we would be totally screwed.

As far as meat goes, yes, we have much more food than people. There is one person per square mile in Alaska whereas you all have 353 people per square mile (god, no wonder I hated it there!). But our average growing season in North Pole is 68 days. For comparison, your growing season is 292 days. I agree that the more densely populated areas in <48 would run out of game / food instantly, but the preppers, hillbillies, the rednecks out in the country and even the back to the land hippies would survive... for a while.

You're right... it is hard to get here by boat or OTR via Canada. Neither is a quick trip. Hell, without a steady supply chain of fuel you couldn't get here, so it's a moot point. Long trip on a horse, I guess. I don't know. Where is Jeremiah Johnson when you need him, huh?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 am

Chrissy mentioned that we would be in a world of hurt if we lost the ability to access our digital files.

That reminded me of a book that we have. It contains formulas on how to make all kinds of common things... products we take for granted, but would be sorry if we didn't have them around anymore.

Sadly, I cannot find the book for examples to post here, but Christine stumbled across it last week. She said that this is one book we will NEVER get rid of.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Found the book I was talking about - "Henley's Formulas".

An easy formula... stains for patent leather:

Black stain:
vinegar one gallon
ivory black (bone charcoal) 14 oz.
ground iron scales 6 lbs.
mix well and let stand for a few days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 5:09 pm

all good stuff.

I'm pretty sure I could survive a SHTF unless someone outright just shot me, and that could happen to anyone.

Growing up in the streets enabled me to be cunning, and growing up with crazy assed dad who I am sure was trying to kill me, helped a lot.

We were talking about this topic on the way home today. How to store vegetables in the ground, how to make meal or medicines. Or what items to store for bartering etc.

Would you make this and save it or use it now?  
http://www.askaprepper.com/make-penicillin-home/

and also, even if we had stuff, would we have the knowledge to use it. do we know what to gather and keep?

One thing we should try to do for our children and grandchildren is to save hard copy books for them. If the SHTF in their day and not ours. I fear books are going by the wayside and that's very dangerous.

Remember, knowledge is power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 5:41 pm

rendering sterile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_(microbiology)

Wine makers are a good source for sterilizing bottles, as you know you can boil glass to make it sterile

If your not using glass you'll need to purchase a chemical

Bleach would do it but you would have to rinse with boiled water. Probably the most cost effective

I am sure all of you know this, but it is surprising how many people do not think about this when making a prep package. BLEACH is KING. You can even rinse a wound with it. It does not hurt. It feels warm. Of course if you rinse a wound with it, you have to rinse well with sterile water.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Eric wrote:
Found the book I was talking about - "Henley's Formulas".

An easy formula... stains for patent leather:

Black stain:
vinegar one gallon
ivory black (bone charcoal) 14 oz.
ground iron scales 6 lbs.
mix well and let stand for a few days.

I looked up that book and some criticize that because it was written so long ago some of the things might be hard to find and/or people might not know what they are. I saw this book is written by the same guy... published in 1990

Survival Chemist:

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Chemist-C-562-David-Howard/dp/0879470593/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N7CCD7H3PF8MAZ4NCQK
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:53 am

It might be difficult to obtain the ingredients after an "event". Some of the ingredients are easily obtained, some are not so easy to get.

There might be problems storing the product, but you don't want to get sick as a dog and then start the process of making it. You'd be on the wrong side of the grass when it was ready to try out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 10:21 am

Eric wrote:
It might be difficult to obtain the ingredients after an "event".  Some of the ingredients are easily obtained, some are not so easy to get.

There might be problems storing the product, but you don't want to get sick as a dog and then start the process of making it.  You'd be on the wrong side of the grass when it was ready to try out.

I looked at the links provided on the penicillin post and it appears you can get all of these basically off amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I31TB80/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00I31TB80&linkCode=as2&tag=askapre-20&linkId=CI7TVSMYJIFYSCLV

You could probably find many o the ingredients at cvs or a health food store. You just have to look at the active ingredient to some things, such as the magnesium sulfate is aka Epsom salt.

Im willing to try this. Cant be anymore dangerous than drinking my home made wine LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 pm

I just vacuum sealed about 250lbs of food........ im pooped

need funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A really interesting helpful survival website   A really interesting helpful survival website Empty

Back to top Go down

A really interesting helpful survival website
Page 1 of 1