Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tetrachromacy - learn something new every day

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nochain

nochain

tetrachromacy - learn something new every day Empty
PostSubject: tetrachromacy - learn something new every day   tetrachromacy - learn something new every day EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am

As Concetta Antico took her pupils to the park for an art lesson, she would often question them about the many shades she saw flashing before her eyes. “I’d say, ‘Look at the light on the water – can you see the pink shimmering across that rock? Can you see the red on the edge of that leaf there?’” The students would all nod in agreement. It was only years later that she realised they were just too polite to tell the truth: the colours she saw so vividly were invisible to them.

Today, she knows that this is a symptom of a condition known as “tetrachromacy”. Thanks to a variation in a gene that influences the development of their retinas, people like Antico can see colours invisible to most of us. Consider a pebble pathway. What appears dull grey to you or me shines like a jeweller’s display to Antico. “The little stones jump out at me with oranges, yellows, greens, blues and pinks,” she says. “I’m kind of shocked when I realise what other people aren’t seeing.”

Tetrachromats are rare enough, but Antico is particularly remarkable, since, as an artist, she is able to give us a rare view into that world. “Her artwork might tap into a structure that all of us can appreciate,” says Kimberly Jameson at the University of California, Irvine, who has studied Antico extensively. It’s even possible that she might suggest ways for more people to see the same way.

(the tree on the left is what she see's, compared to the right that "we" see

tetrachromacy - learn something new every day P0267p60

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140905-the-women-with-super-human-vision
Back to top Go down

tetrachromacy - learn something new every day Empty
PostSubject: Re: tetrachromacy - learn something new every day   tetrachromacy - learn something new every day EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Amazing!

Perhaps she is the only one to really see.

What a splendid gift.

The Humans With Super Human Vision

An unknown number of women may perceive 
millions of colors invisible to the rest of us. One British scientist is trying to track them down and understand their extraordinary power of sight

An average human, utterly unremarkable in every way, can 
perceive a million different colors.

Researchers suspect, though, that some people see even more. Living among us are people with four cones, who might experience a range of colors invisible to the rest. It’s possible these so-called tetrachromats see a hundred million colors, with each familiar hue fracturing into a hundred more subtle shades for which there are no names, no paint swatches. And because perceiving color is a personal experience, they would have no way of knowing they see far beyond what we consider the limits of human vision.

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul-aug/06-humans-with-super-human-vision
Absolutely fascinating. Cool

Thanks for posting this
Back to top Go down

tetrachromacy - learn something new every day
Page 1 of 1