Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... Empty
PostSubject: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 6:57 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/03/us/philadelphia-drug-bust-house-seizure/

"I'm a working guy. I work every day, six days a week, even seven if I have to," Sourovelis says. One day this past March, without warning, the government took his house away, even though he and his wife, Markella, have never been charged with a crime or accused of any wrongdoing.

"I was so upset thinking somebody's going to take my house for nothing. That makes me crazy," Sourovelis says, shaking his head.

The nightmare began when police showed up at the house and arrested their 22-year-old son, Yianni, on drug charges -- $40 worth of heroin. Authorities say he was selling drugs out of the home. The Sourvelises say they had no knowledge of any involvement their son might have had with drugs.

A month-and-a-half later police came back -- this time to seize their house, forcing the Sourvelises and their children out on the street that day. Authorities came with the electric company in tow to turn off the power and even began locking the doors with screws, the Sourvelises say. Authorities won't comment on the exact circumstances because of pending litigation regarding the case.

Police and prosecutors came armed with a lawsuit against the house itself. It was being forfeited and transferred to the custody of the Philadelphia District Attorney. Authorities said the house was tied to illegal drugs and therefore subject to civil forfeiture.

......In two years, nearly 500 families in Philadelphia had their homes or cars taken away by city officials, according to records from Pennsylvania's attorney general.

Authorities use a civil forfeiture law that allows them to seize people's property when that property is connected to the sale of illegal drugs.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:03 pm

http://www.ij.org/asset-forfeiture-report-florida

Florida’s civil forfeiture laws provide some protections for property owners but also give law enforcement a large incentive to use forfeiture—and agencies appear to do just that. The government must prove by clear and convincing evidence that the property was related to criminal activity and thus can be forfeited, a higher standard than most states but still less than the beyond a reasonable doubt standard required for a criminal conviction. Also, in Florida owners are not presumed guilty; instead, the government bears the burden in an innocent owner defense.

Unfortunately, though, law enforcement in Florida still receives 85 percent of the funds generated from civil forfeiture. As a result, Florida law enforcement makes substantial use of civil forfeiture at the state level, just as it does through equitable sharing. In a mere three-year period (2001-2003), the state took in more than $100 million in forfeiture, and Florida law enforcement received anywhere from $16 million to $48 million per year in the 2000s through equitable sharing. (These counts may overlap, as it is not clear whether Florida included equitable sharing revenue in its response to information requests.)

This expansive use of civil forfeiture has not only benefitted law enforcement institutionally, it has also led to personal gain. In 2003, for instance, it was reported that top Tampa Bay police brass were keeping seized cars for their own use. The seized fleet consisted of some 42 cars, including a Lincoln Navigator, a Ford Expedition, and, Police Chief Bennie Holder’s favorite, a $38,000 Chevy Tahoe.[1]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Let me get this right.

You hate police

You hate doctors

you hate all forms of gov

You cowboy you.... Razz

Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Don't get me wrong I like the cowboy code and way of life but I would rather be a mountain man.....
Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... MOUNTAIN_MAN_OF_CASTLE_ROCK_by_buffalographics
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Or even better and freer a sailor...

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... Popeye20the20sailor20man1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 8:35 pm

is that a duck billed platypuses on his head? lol

Here you are. Getting us some wood for the fire....

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxxWY5BXd7UmzXSxV7Zz2I01TC7HukYsJHKNeBNlNQvrlzLi4k
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... Me10

Oh hell just get on and we'll be free for a few miles or until we hit a check point....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Make sure you bring your papers, comrade.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Hey I had to go to the DMV and get a replacement registration and guess what...It was free...it used to cost $2.50. Our keepers are feeling some compassion for our plight.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Ever watch Jeremiah Johnson, T?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 pm

riceme wrote:

One of my old favorites...here Pilgrim you skin this one and I'll go get you another...LOL

FOUND IT....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
[

Oh hell just get on and we'll be free for a few miles or until we hit a check point....

Teo, that's a awesome pic of you. Smile

For you

Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Wish i had joined them instead of going to Vietnam....born to be wild....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:46 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Hind sight is 20/20 my friend

Live for who you are now. You cant change the past. Smile

Sometimes people who have bad experiences in the past utilize those memories to be a better person. As I know you have. I know its hard to reconcile with those days, but perhaps you would not be the wonderful person you are today had you not experienced those life lessons.

You can let go of the past. I have. I think of my past as another person. Because its not who I am today as with you. That is not who you are today.

Be free. And I mean that. As long as I have known you here and you know I love you. I wish for you to be free inside of yourself, with yourself about that.

Now Happy Friday night..... Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhfFXEMMI4

Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:56 pm

You have a brilliant mind Chrissy...take good care of it, the world needs your input.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 5:10 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
You have a brilliant mind Chrissy...take good care of it, the world needs your input.

ah shucks. thanks. Im having coffee now, that might help. scratch

Back at ya btw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 11:40 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
riceme wrote:

One of my old favorites...here Pilgrim you skin this one and I'll go get you another...LOL

FOUND IT....

Mine, too. Tombstone is my favorite... Jeremiah Johnson is in the top 5... My cousin and I watch it all the time Smile
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Chrissy* wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Hind sight is 20/20 my friend

Live for who you are now. You cant change the past. Smile

Sometimes people who have bad experiences in the past utilize those memories to be a better person. As I know you have. I know its hard to reconcile with those days, but perhaps you would not be the wonderful person you are today had you not experienced those life lessons.

You can let go of the past. I have. I think of my past as another person. Because its not who I am today as with you. That is not who you are today.

Be free. And I mean that. As long as I have known you here and you know I love you. I wish for you to be free inside of yourself, with yourself about that.

Now Happy Friday night..... Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhfFXEMMI4

I refer to it as my past lives.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 11:57 pm

My son's favorite movie is tombstone..he can quote every line....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...   Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them... Empty

Back to top Go down

Cops seize couple's home because son sold $40 worth of drugs...unknown to them...
Page 1 of 1