Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  Empty
PostSubject: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Thousands of fast-food workers are planning to strike and take to the streets in 150 cities Thursday to protest income inequality and demand higher wages. The fast-food employees, some of whom work for as little as $7.25 an hour, want their pay bumped up to $15 an hour so they can make ends meet.

Hours before a rally was scheduled to start Thursday in New York City, about 25 protesters were arrested for blocking traffic while demonstrating outside a McDonald's in Times Square, NYC Fox affiliate WNYW reported.
http://www.ibtimes.com/fast-food-strike-september-2014-workers-seek-15-minimum-wage-right-unionize-1678354

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Jake92

Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 6:15 pm

They will cry when the cost of a Big Mac goes over $8-9 and people stop going to get a quick/cheap burger which will close a lot of fast food places and cost a lot of jobs....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Jake92 wrote:
They will cry when the cost of a Big Mac goes over $8-9 and people stop going to get a quick/cheap burger which will close a lot of fast food places and cost a lot of jobs....

I think asking for $15 is a bit insane. There are lots of educated people who don't make that or much more. And there are lots of very educated people who would barely make much more than that. I'm sure that would inspire people to get a education and better themselves. Just work at a fast food place. And eat fast food. Yep, this idea should create a perfect society of fat, dumb people who have little drive to better themselves. exciting Neutral

And I bet your right. Im not happy with how much it is now. Its $7 bucks for a burger meal at mcd's now, hell id rather go to jimmy johns or jasons deli for that
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 11:44 pm

Even when I was making next to nothing working the night shift at the grocery store, freezing half to death because I could not afford to pay my rent, buy groceries AND pay for heating fuel, gasoline and medication I was against raising minimum wage. Don't even get me started. I now bring home more in a day than I did in a whole week. True story.

$15/hr?? What are they smoking?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 am

Well you know they probably got passing grades in school because the teachers and school didn't want to hurt their feelings. You know everyone's a winner baby. So now that they are grown up with all their blue ribbons of equality and trophies of participation they probably feel they have worked just as hard as anyone else and they want to being ing more of a middle class lifestyle . After all they have been participating and now they want their trophy
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 9:34 am

My granddaughter works part time at McDonalds. She is in high school and desperately needs the job for extra gas money. She uses up her provided gas allowance quickly drivingher friends all around.

But......as cute as she is..... her position is NOT worth $15.00 an hour.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am

Those fast food places give a lot of kids and young adults a taste of the job life... a sucky, low-paying job.

That'll teach them to get off their rusty-dusty and get a better education at college or to learn a trade.

One of my sons is a civil engineer and one is a Journeyman electrician. Both are happy in their jobs, but both started out in low-paying jobs.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:38 am

My youngest daughter went through the phlebotomy program at Baptist which is known state wide as one of the best programs for that. It allows her to be nationally ( ASCP ) certified which is rare for phlebotomist.

That is a dangerous job as any nurse will tell you. Rate of exposure is high. Especially now that they want you and train you to use vacuum tube method over a butterfly which are more expensive.

She makes $10 an hour for quest.

If anything, phlebotomist should be picketing for higher wages. But I'm sure the public would cry because that's a healthcare job.

This whole uproar is a political movement to get the voters to the ballot box anyway.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 11:54 am

A *phlebotomist* only makes $10/hr???
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 12:54 pm

I think they should be paid more but how many of them draw more than 2-3 patients/hr for 8 hrs a day?? Many of them might draw 10/hr for 2-3 hrs, then do something else the rest of the day..
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 12:57 pm

The upside of McDonalds employment......workers are qualified to move into a position of rapid fast food identification recognition. Thanks to the picture only cash register.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 1:01 pm

riceme wrote:

sure do, starting out and not much more after. Especially at places I call "Walmart labs".

She'll probably move up to $12 an hour in a couple months. looking forward to $14 max an hour

Unless she aspires to become the supervisor. Which Ive encouraged her to do, but that comes with a lot of personal sacrifice such as insanity, crazy hours, constant abuse by the higher ups and a constant hate by the public of all healthcare professionals that our public has seemed to acquire as of late.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Jake92 wrote:
I think they should be paid more but how many of them draw more than 2-3 patients/hr for 8 hrs a day??  Many of them might draw 10/hr for 2-3 hrs, then do something else the rest of the day..

my daughter draw about 7-8 patients or more an hour. Its QUEST
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 7:07 am

Chrissy* wrote:
Thousands of fast-food workers are planning to strike and take to the streets in 150 cities Thursday to protest income inequality and demand higher wages. The fast-food employees, some of whom work for as little as $7.25 an hour, want their pay bumped up to $15 an hour so they can make ends meet.

Hours before a rally was scheduled to start Thursday in New York City, about 25 protesters were arrested for blocking traffic while demonstrating outside a McDonald's in Times Square, NYC Fox affiliate WNYW reported.
http://www.ibtimes.com/fast-food-strike-september-2014-workers-seek-15-minimum-wage-right-unionize-1678354

What do you think?

On the same day...there were articles that there was a 'robotic' type burger machine that has the ability to produce 300 burgers an hour that is being tested by several fast food restaurants.... Where do you suppose this is heading?....

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 10:59 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Chrissy* wrote:

What do you think?

On the same day...there were articles that there was a 'robotic' type burger machine that has the ability to produce 300 burgers an hour that is being tested by several fast food restaurants.... Where do you suppose this is heading?....

They'll probably have to hire a mechanical engineer to run that machine.

And (deja vu here) the machine doesn't care if it cooks roaches or rat parts.

At least I won't find a curly hair on my burger, lol.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 11:48 am

The workers will complain about paying too much for taxes if they get a raise..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Eric wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
Chrissy* wrote:

What do you think?

They'll probably have to hire a mechanical engineer to run that machine.

And (deja vu here) the machine doesn't care if it cooks roaches or rat parts.

At least I won't find a curly hair on my burger, lol.

:pale:curly hairs. They always show up in the places you don't want them too. Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  Emot-barf
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am

Chrissy* wrote:
riceme wrote:

sure do, starting out and not much more after. Especially at places I call "Walmart labs".

She'll probably move up to $12 an hour in a couple months. looking forward to $14 max an hour

Unless she aspires to become the supervisor. Which Ive encouraged her to do, but that comes with a lot of personal sacrifice such as insanity, crazy hours, constant abuse by the higher ups and a constant hate by the public of all healthcare professionals that our public has seemed to acquire as of late.

I had the misfortune of being in the ER on Sunday and I believe I had one of the $10/hr jobbers. She fished around for a vein while I continuously vomited up my guts. After an hour she FINALLY called in one of the older gals, who put a line in my right away. Now, the fisher-phlebotomist might deserve $10/hr... I don't know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 4:26 am

Let's be very careful here and not insult $10 an hour phlebotomist. I'm sure there are bad ones along with good ones as in every profession. My daughter happens to be exceptionally good. Patients ask for her. But she is under paid. I used this as a example to compare to burger flippers, not to have phlebotomist criticized. But I digress maybe not everyone appreciates a persons who has to delicately shove a sharp object in every single sick person that comes through the door. A profession with the highest exposure rate of all healthcare workers. I guess that risk isn't worth much ?

Anyway, sorry your sick. Hope your doing ok this seems like the 2 nd or 3rd time in last few months you been to doctor. Are you getting sick or hurt? Either way geesh, becareful cutety pie Smile
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 4:56 am

Jake92 wrote:
The workers will complain about paying too much for taxes if they get a raise..

Remember your first job....first check?.....Thought was WHO the hell is this FICA that's taking a huge chunk of my check...Life lessons learned early... Suddenly it becomes MY money that I worked the hours for [entitlements become less important] ...Second---entry level jobs are ok but perhaps need to think about moving up...
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 am

I remember my first 3 jobs, all before I was out of high school.. 1st was a paper boy.. 2nd was when I was 15 and started working in a grocery store.. 3rd was in a diner washing dishes and waiting on tables part time at night with my girlfriend who was a waitress.. I stayed with the grocery store for 5 yrs until I got drafted.. I also carried many bags of golf clubs, mowed many lawns, and shoveled snow out of many driveways, all while in school..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Chrissy* wrote:
Let's be very careful here and not insult $10 an hour phlebotomist. I'm sure there are bad ones along with good ones as in every profession. My daughter happens to be exceptionally good. Patients ask for her. But she is under paid. I used this as a example to compare to burger flippers, not to have phlebotomist criticized. But I digress maybe not everyone appreciates a persons who has to delicately shove a sharp object in every single sick person that comes through the door. A profession with the highest exposure rate of all healthcare workers. I guess that risk isn't worth much ?

Anyway, sorry your sick. Hope your doing ok this seems like the 2 nd or 3rd time in last few months you been to doctor. Are you getting sick or hurt? Either way geesh, becareful cutety pie Smile

Sorry! I meant that she possibly deserved less pay than her peers because she was not as good, but that is probably not even true because I was so dehydrated I'm sure I was a very difficult stick. I was stupid all day yesterday because I had what I call a "migraine hangover." So no, I'm not sick, but I was... very bad migraine again. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:11 am

Ricy, I worry about your migraines

Have they done a MRI or CT scan on you?

I sure hope you feel better and these migraine stop bothering you so much.

You have my warmest regards and hugs

Love you
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 am

Dang, Ricey.

Is there hope that your migraines will diminish, or, are you stuck with them for the long haul?

Are there any homeopathic regimens that are helpful?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 11:41 pm

I've gotten them since I was five so I'm pretty much stuck with them for the long haul. I've had more CT Scans and MRIs than I can count. I always get a clean bill of health but have to go through it all over again every time I move because I also get seizures. Anytime someone gets both seizures AND migraines doctors freak out because they think you have a brain tumor.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize    Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize  Empty

Back to top Go down

Fast Food Strike September 2014: Workers Seek $15 Minimum Wage, Right To Unionize
Page 1 of 1