Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them Empty
PostSubject: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 am

http://news.yahoo.com/why-additives-processed-foods-may-even-more-dangerous-223915552.html

Quote :
Hold up a minute: The FDA doesn’t already have its hands on the data food companies have been using to determine whether the additives they’re putting into the food we eat are safe for human consumption?

In a word, nope.

Oh you poor, silly, naive American consumer. Did you really think that the FDA was poring over reams of scientific data before it gave the green light to an additive like epigallocatechin-3-gallate or gamma-amino butyric acid ? Not only does the agency not require food makers to submit scientific studies to back up claims that the additives they’re using are safe for humans to eat (that is, “generally recognized as safe,” or “GRAS,” in bureaucratic-speak), but the agency basically allows food companies to make that determination themselves. No FDA stamp of approval is necessary; it's pretty much been that way for the last 17 years.

Some of the GRAS additives:

Quote :
• Epigallocatechin-3-gallate “A Japanese company declared this chemical to be GRAS for use in beverages including teas, sport drinks, and juices, despite evidence it may cause leukemia in fetuses based on studies using newborn and adult human cells grown on a dish. Moreover, the company did not address a short-term study on rats showing it affected thyroid, testis, spleen, pituitary, liver, and gastrointestinal tract.” Number of products on market with ECGC (per NRDC): 25

• Gamma-amino butyric acid “A Japanese company declared this neurotransmitter to be GRAS for use in beverages, chewing gum, coffee, tea, and candy. It did so despite having estimated exposure well in excess of what the company considered safe, relying on unpublished safety studies, providing the specifications in Japanese, and failing to consider existing exposures.” Number of produces on market with GABA (per NRDC): 5 (including bottled tea and nutrition bars)

• Sweet lupin protein, fiber, and flour “An Australian firm declared these chemicals to be GRAS for use in baked goods, dairy products, gelatin, meats, and candy, despite concerns that the chemicals would cause allergic reactions in those with peanut allergies.” Number of products on market with this additive (per NRDC): more than 20, none of which carry allergy warning labels

• Theobromine "A U.S. firm declared it to be GRAS for use in bread, cereal, beverages, chewing gum, tea, soy milk, gelatin, candy, and yogurt and fruit smoothies, despite having an estimated consumption rate more than five times the safe consumption level reported by the company’s consultant. In addition, the manufacturer did not provide convincing explanations for the testicular degeneration in rats and rabbits and delayed bone formation in rats that were seen in animal studies of theobromine.” Number of products on market with this additive (per NRDC): more than 20 (including isotonic waters, nutrition bars, and diet foods).
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

I really hate this. I buy as local as possible... have a garden... hunt and fish too. There's such a huge difference in taste and quality that it's worth extra effort and price to me.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am

I buy as little prepared food as is possible. I especially hate meats that might have antibiotics and possibly steroids in them... Yikes!
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:51 am

Eric wrote:
I buy as little prepared food as is possible.  I especially hate meats that might have antibiotics and possibly steroids in them... Yikes!

Just a question.... wasn't this administration the same ones that complained about self regulation in the past leading to horrific problems in the food industry?.... I cringed when I saw a segment about cloned meats and would you eat them or should they be served/sold to the public without their knowledge that it was cloned....
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 am

Eric wrote:
I buy as little prepared food as is possible. I especially hate meats that might have antibiotics and possibly steroids in them... Yikes!

I order my beef, pork, and eggs from local guys too. Last year I got half of each... but I'm getting a whole of each this year because my friends and family loved it so much. The difference in taste is obvious.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 am

The Dude wrote:
Eric wrote:
I buy as little prepared food as is possible.  I especially hate meats that might have antibiotics and possibly steroids in them... Yikes!

I order my beef, pork, and eggs from local guys too. Last year I got half of each... but I'm getting a whole of each this year because my friends and family loved it so much. The difference in taste is obvious.

I was thinking (I know, dangerous for me), but I would like to get in with that deal.

Then I remembered that you live in BFE.

FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them Bpkm9FD
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 11:21 am

I'm sure you could find one near you... I never knew how much was out there until I started looking into it a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 pm

You might look on Craigslist, E. Around here a lot of the local farmers and people who have fresh eggs and stuff post there when they have things for sale or trade. That's what I do in the winter when our farmer's market isn't open... I also butchered our friend's moose last year in exchange for some of the meat. I'm going moose hunting with my cousin this year so hopefully won't have to trade for it.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Eric wrote:

Me too... steroids and hormones in meat & dairy are particularly bad for the system... especially kids' growing bodies. It causes little girls' bodies to develop far too early, early puberty, all sorts of bad stuff.

I am a milk-addict and I swear I can taste the chemicals in "regular" milk... I only drink organic milk. I do not generally eat store bought meat. I pretty much only eat what my Robert has hunted for our family, and this year I will also contribute to our deep freeze. Last year my contribution was to butcher for the boys.

I used to eat Fuji apples by the bushel... then I worked in Produce :/ Apples have more pesticide residue than any other fruit or vegetable. Now I choose organic when they're in season and on sale.

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

List: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list.php#

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Great.

No wonder our reproductive systems are whacked and all these disease processes that used to be for the very elderly are now effecting younger peeps.

damn them
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah... fast food is the worst. That's why young girls are developing and hitting puberty at younger and younger ages all the time now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them   FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them Empty

Back to top Go down

FDA allows industry self-regulation on food additives -10,000 of them
Page 1 of 1