Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's Empty
PostSubject: Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's   Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am

MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 8 (UPI) -- Diacetyl, a flavoring used to produce the buttery flavor and aroma in some processed food may be linked to Alzheimer's disease, U.S. researchers say.

Robert Vince, director of the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota, and colleagues Swati More and Ashish Vartak said diacetyl has been the focus of research recently because it is linked to respiratory and other problems in workers at food-flavoring factories.

Vince's team said it realized diacetyl has an architecture similar to a substance that makes beta-amyloid proteins clump together in the brain -- this clumping is the hallmark of Alzheimer's

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2012/08/08/Food-ingredient-linked-to-Alzheimers/UPI-65661344400751/#ixzz23LeFQSjc

watch that buttered popcorn!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's   Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I don't buy butter-flavored popcorn because a year or two ago, I heard that the factory workers were getting sick from that flavor. I like the flavor of regular butter anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Food ingredient linked to Alzheimer's
Page 1 of 1