Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Caught in Gulf Shores???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Caught in Gulf Shores??? Empty
PostSubject: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:12 pm

1,000-pound alligator snared in Alabama hunt
Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:10pm BST

Caught in Gulf Shores??? 862073355412758565

(Reuters) - Hunters in Alabama snared an alligator weighing more than 1,000 pounds, the largest ever caught in a legal hunt in the state, conservation officials said on Monday.

The alligator, caught with a snare hook in a southern Alabama state park early Saturday, was so heavy it required a backhoe to hoist it onto a scale, said Mike Sievering, a state wildlife biologist who supervised the hunt.

"He was an eyeful, I'll say that," Sievering said.

The alligator, which weighed 1,011.5 pounds and measured 15 feet long, was more than 100 pounds heavier than the previous state record holder, he said.

Alabama began allowing alligator hunts in 2011, responding in part to the reptiles showing up unbidden in fish farm ponds, Sievering said.

In Sievering's three-county area, up to 50 alligators are legally hunted over two weekends each summer by hook and line and underwater bow and arrow.

The American alligator was listed as endangered by the United States in 1967 after its ranks were diminished by habitat loss and excessive hunting.

But the species was removed from the list 20 years later and now numbers more than a million in the southeastern United States, according to the National Parks Conservation Association.

EDIT: Millers Ferry Dam, AI.com reported.  (In Wilcox County about halfway between Mobile and Montgomery)
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Nosyarg

PostSubject: Re: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 pm

I just can't see trying to kill an alligator by shooting an arrow at it underwater.

Maybe that provision is in the law to give the alligators a fighting chance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Wow, what a gator.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My parents had to call the alligator farm outside of naples to come pick up one that just came out of nowhere. It was almost that big.

That's a BIG assed gator.

Ive caught lots of gators on hooks, but I agree, catching that by arrow had to have been a task.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 pm

NOPE!
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 10:45 pm

It was caught in a STATE PARK???? WTH?

There is no pride and honor in killing a creature just for the great sin of it being an alligator.

They have to live somewhere. This is a crime in my book.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 11:04 pm

Here is the whole story... I had to read the whole thing to confirm that it was killed in a state park. I did not know that was legal. ??

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/08/new_state_record_potential_wor.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caught in Gulf Shores???   Caught in Gulf Shores??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Caught in Gulf Shores???
Page 1 of 1