Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now Empty
PostSubject: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Earth's magnetic field, which protects the planet from huge blasts of deadly solar radiation, has been weakening over the past six months, according to data collected by a European Space Agency (ESA) satellite array called Swarm.

The biggest weak spots in the magnetic field — which extends 370,000 miles (600,000 kilometers) above the planet's surface — have sprung up over the Western Hemisphere, while the field has strengthened over areas like the southern Indian Ocean, according to the magnetometers onboard the Swarm satellites — three separate satellites floating in tandem.

The scientists who conducted the study are still unsure why the magnetic field is weakening, but one likely reason is that Earth's magnetic poles are getting ready to flip, said Rune Floberghagen, the ESA's Swarm mission manager. In fact, the data suggest magnetic north is moving toward Siberia.

"Such a flip is not instantaneous, but would take many hundred if not a few thousand years," Floberghagen told Live Science. "They have happened many times in the past."[50 Amazing Facts About Planet Earth]

Scientists already know that magnetic north shifts. Once every few hundred thousand years the magnetic poles flip so that a compass would point south instead of north. While changes in magnetic field strength are part of this normal flipping cycle, data from Swarm have shown the field is starting to weaken faster than in the past. Previously, researchers estimated the field was weakening about 5 percent per century, but the new data revealed the field is actually weakening at 5 percent per decade, or 10 times faster than thought.

http://www.livescience.com/46694-magnetic-field-weakens.html

I'm not sure why they speculate that the earths poles take that long to flip when the sun's flips every 11 years. I realize they use core samples, but there is evidence to suggest a more rapid magnetic shift, unfortunately some crazies used that study and basically rendered useless as now to even compare to that study which is valid brings up the crazies.  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Hey Chrissy....yeah wonder if and when it will flip ...could fry us like bugs under a magnifying glass....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 10:21 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Hey Chrissy....yeah wonder if and when it will flip ...could fry us like bugs under a magnifying glass....

I think its closer to a possible reason for the coming "ice age".  Wink 

We are currently living during a period that has been called the Brunhes Magnetic Chron when the South Magnetic Pole is in the Northern Hemisphere.. This quote was taken from Nasa, link given below.

http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/magnetism/magnetism.html

it is indeed possible that we are in the midst of a reversal< again taken from Nasa. http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/Magnetosphere/geomagnetic_field_strength_brunhes.html&dev=&edu=high

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 pm

I just don't want the field to degrade so far that we aren't protected from solar radiation.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 10:53 pm

Eric wrote:
I just don't want the field to degrade so far that we aren't protected from solar radiation.

Do you think it would last that long before the flip was complete?

Seems to me and I'm speculating myself but the suns flip didn't take long once it got rolling. I cant think to myself why the earths would be much different than the suns flip.

I just read this on nasa. >Since no one knows how long this can take, no one can say whether it could happen over night or take thousands of years!

http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/Magnetosphere/earth_magnetic_reversals.html&edu=high&dev=

If so, we better get some sun screen and have some caves to go in.  What a Face 

Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Guess we can eat mushrooms...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Guess we can eat mushrooms...

I always wanted to try those funny ones.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 am

So what is going to happen to us when the poles shift? I have a vision of flying off the earth into the netherlands, much like Major Tom. :-(
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 am

Melissa wrote:
So what is going to happen to us when the poles shift? I have a vision of flying off the earth into the netherlands, much like Major Tom.  :-(

No, I don't think it effects gravity.

From my very limited understanding it would lower our magnetic shield from the suns rays for a bit. This in term would affect our weather patterns and also activate earth quakes and volcanos. Because the suns plasma shots directed at earth is directly related to earthquakes, volcano eruptions and our atmospheric weather patterns.

This information from discovery news might help you understand a little better.

http://news.discovery.com/space/videos/space-solar-storms-5-reasons-to-care-right-now.htm

But if we do fly off the earth, please make sure I have one of those magic mushrooms lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I hope it affects gravity. That's probably the only way I'll ever lose any weight.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 am

Otter wrote:
I hope it affects gravity. That's probably the only way I'll ever lose any weight.

And get an immediate face lift.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 10:39 am

Melissa wrote:
Otter wrote:

And get an immediate face lift.  cheers 

YES!!!!!!

With absolutely NO copays Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 7:19 pm

The sun has gone quiet…solar cycle 24 continues to rank as one of the weakest cycles more than a century

http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/07/17/the-sun-has-gone-quietsolar-cycle-24-continues-to-rank-as-one-of-the-weakest-cycles-more-than-a-century/

But thanks to y'all. Im feeling pretty good about it. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now   Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now Empty

Back to top Go down

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now
Page 1 of 1