Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law Empty
PostSubject: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 9:34 am

From NorthEscambia.com

Quote :
Scott Signs ‘Warning Shot’ And ‘Pop Tart’ Bills
June 27, 2014

Gov. Rick Scott has signed a couple of gun bills commonly known as the warning shot bill and the pop tart bill.
The so-called “warning shot” bill allows people to show guns and fire warning shots if they feel threatened. The bill (HB 89) adds immunity for threats to use force to Florida’s “stand your ground” self-defense law.

The House sponsor, Rep. Neil Combee, R-Polk City, has said the bill was inspired by the case of Marissa Alexander, a Jacksonville woman who was faces 60 years in prison under the 10-20-Life sentencing law for firing a warning shot during a domestic dispute.
Democrats in both chambers tried unsuccessfully to amend the bill to remove a provision allowing records to be expunged if people who claim “stand your ground” are found innocent. They said keeping open the records would make the law’s success or failure easier to track.

But Republicans argued that people who are forced to defend themselves shouldn’t have a criminal record as a result.
Scott signed another gun bill with a nickname, the “Pop Tart” bill, so called because of its connection to reports of a Maryland 7-year-old who was suspended from school for chewing his breakfast pastry into the shape of a gun.
The bill (HB 7029) is aimed at preventing schoolchildren from being disciplined for simulating guns while playing or for wearing clothes that depict firearms. Supporters of the bill, including the National Rifle Association, said it would bring “common sense” to school zero-tolerance disciplinary policies.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 10:15 am

Eric wrote:
From NorthEscambia.com

Quote :
June 27, 2014

Gov. Rick Scott has signed a couple of gun bills commonly known as the warning shot bill and the pop tart bill.
The so-called “warning shot” bill allows people to show guns and fire warning shots if they feel threatened. The bill (HB 89) adds immunity for threats to use force to Florida’s “stand your ground” self-defense law.

The House sponsor, Rep. Neil Combee, R-Polk City, has said the bill was inspired by the case of Marissa Alexander, a Jacksonville woman who was faces 60 years in prison under the 10-20-Life sentencing law for firing a warning shot during a domestic dispute.
Democrats in both chambers tried unsuccessfully to amend the bill to remove a provision allowing records to be expunged if people who claim “stand your ground” are found innocent. They said keeping open the records would make the law’s success or failure easier to track.

But Republicans argued that people who are forced to defend themselves shouldn’t have a criminal record as a result.
Scott signed another gun bill with a nickname, the “Pop Tart” bill, so called because of its connection to reports of a Maryland 7-year-old who was suspended from school for chewing his breakfast pastry into the shape of a gun.
The bill (HB 7029) is aimed at preventing schoolchildren from being disciplined for simulating guns while playing or for wearing clothes that depict firearms. Supporters of the bill, including the National Rifle Association, said it would bring “common sense” to school zero-tolerance disciplinary policies.

Not a fan of the 'warning shot' bill...If life/lives are threatened and using a firearm becomes necessay then popping off a shot other than at the suspect(s) increases the chances of innocent(s) being injured/killed....Understanding that this circumstance can still happen any time a firearm is discharged but is a bit of a worry when or at what distance a warning shot would be fired...for example: noises being heard---feeling threatened pop off a round?...

Agree that the woman in that case should not have faced the sentence she did....said at the time she should have articulated that she felt her life was in danger...protected herself [and her children] but missed...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:
From NorthEscambia.com

Quote :
June 27, 2014

Not a fan of the 'warning shot' bill...If life/lives are threatened and using a firearm becomes necessay then popping off a shot other than at the suspect(s) increases the chances of innocent(s) being injured/killed....Understanding that this circumstance can still happen any time a firearm is discharged but is a bit of a worry when or at what distance a warning shot would be fired...for example:  noises being heard---feeling threatened pop off a round?...

Agree that the woman in that case should not have faced the sentence she did....said at the time she should have articulated that she felt her life was in danger...protected herself [and her children]  but missed...

A very valid point, MW.  Hopefully, proper discretion will be used and a warning shot will be fired at a steep angle into the dirt instead of into a kid that made a bad choice that day but wasn't threatening lethal force.  Contrary to popular opinion, I was no angel in my early years, things I'm not proud of mind you, but I changed my errant ways.  I know the sound of a shotgun being used as a warning shot... not being shot to warn ME, but it had the intended effect... run like hell!  Actually, I have heard this twice and made sure each time that I was not going to be in range of that weapon for long, lol.

Warning shots are fine to deter certain situations if properly done, but I wouldn't hesitate shooting to kill if my life or an innocent is threatened with lethal force by some dirtbag with a weapon.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 1:12 pm

The really amazing thing is how an isolated incident can trigger new laws when a little common sense up front should have been used. But common sense is not allowed anymore, like "criminalizing" the kid with the pop tart - how ridiculous can you get? When I was in middle school and a kid broke the rules the Coach would break out the big wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. And no one complained - except the kid who got the swat. Including me ONCE!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 pm

nochain wrote:
The really amazing thing is how an isolated incident can trigger new laws when a little common sense up front should have been used. But common sense is not allowed anymore, like "criminalizing" the kid with the pop tart - how ridiculous can you get? When I was in middle school and a kid broke the rules the Coach would break out the big wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. And no one complained - except the kid who got the swat. Including me ONCE!

I never got paddled, but in Catholic school, I got rapped on the tops of my knuckles with one of those long pointers with the black rubber tips and, many years later punched in the chest... both by nuns.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 8:30 am

Eric wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:
From NorthEscambia.com

Quote :
June 27, 2014

Not a fan of the 'warning shot' bill...If life/lives are threatened and using a firearm becomes necessay then popping off a shot other than at the suspect(s) increases the chances of innocent(s) being injured/killed....Understanding that this circumstance can still happen any time a firearm is discharged but is a bit of a worry when or at what distance a warning shot would be fired...for example:  noises being heard---feeling threatened pop off a round?...

Agree that the woman in that case should not have faced the sentence she did....said at the time she should have articulated that she felt her life was in danger...protected herself [and her children]  but missed...

A very valid point, MW.  Hopefully, proper discretion will be used and a warning shot will be fired at a steep angle into the dirt instead of into a kid that made a bad choice that day but wasn't threatening lethal force.  Contrary to popular opinion, I was no angel in my early years, things I'm not proud of mind you, but I changed my errant ways.  I know the sound of a shotgun being used as a warning shot... not being shot to warn ME, but it had the intended effect... run like hell!  Actually, I have heard this twice and made sure each time that I was not going to be in range of that weapon for long, lol.

Warning shots are fine to deter certain situations if properly done, but I wouldn't hesitate shooting to kill if my life or an innocent is threatened with lethal force by some dirtbag with a weapon.

Have heard the sound of a shotgun racking....and it caused an immediate reaction....GETTING COVER!... If those that oppose stand your ground the warning shot legislation has got to make them even more determined to make a change...As you've pointed out in the past [and I agree] bullets flying around just doesn't seem to be the way to go on this issue... to me it simply increases the probability of an innocent being struck by a citizen popping off a warning shot...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 8:34 am

nochain wrote:

There was this room off the coaches office...if someone needed to be tuned up that was the place...There were two HUGE things going on....personally they could tear my tail up when and if needed and that was the end of it...BUT NEVER tell me they were going to call my Dad....That as I later learned would be swift double jeopardy!...Thankful didn't grow up in the cellphone age and instant communication...
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 2:14 pm

I always believed "ching ching" is as effective as a warning shot, but a LOT safer.. Ching ching is the sound of a round being chambered in a 45 pistol..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Jake92 wrote:
I always believed "ching ching" is as effective as a warning shot, but a LOT safer..  Ching ching is the sound of a round being chambered in a 45 pistol..

... or the sound of a round being chambered into a big ass shotgun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law   Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law Empty

Back to top Go down

Gov signs "warning shot" and "pop tart" bills into law
Page 1 of 1