Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... Empty
PostSubject: Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...   Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... EmptySat May 17, 2014 9:24 am

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/lending-friend-your-car-can-get-you-life-sentence?page=0%2C0&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

Several years ago I read a piece in The New York Times by Adam Liptak about Ryan Holle. Ryan, who had no prior record, is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole in Florida. He was convicted of pre-meditated murder, even though no one, including the prosecutor, disputes that Ryan was asleep in his bed at home at the time of the crime. This could only happen in America, because we are the only country that retains the Felony Murder Rule. What the Felony Murder Rule essentially says is if anyone has anything to do with a felony in which a murder takes place, such as a robbery, that person is as guilty as the person who has committed the murder. Every other country including England, India and Canada has gotten rid of it because of its unintended consequences. In America, Michigan, Kentucky and Hawaii no longer have the law. The Canadian Supreme Court ruled, when they discarded the Felony Murder Rule, that a person should be held responsible for his own actions not the actions of others.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...   Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... EmptySun May 18, 2014 9:19 am

Taint right, I tell you.

There must be more to the story, like knowledge that the car was going to be used in a crime.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...   Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 10:49 am

I'd like to know how they proved he had knowledge a crime was going to be committed? Even having knowledge is not the same as committing the crime.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...   Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 11:14 am

I have a friend that simply drove a friend somewhere, supposedly not knowing what the friend was up to. Apparently, the friend was delivering cocaine (part of the Sandshaker bust that was in the news a few years ago).

My old surfing buddy, who is a successful realtor, did hard time in a Florida prison. To this day, he swears he knew nothing about the cocaine.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...   Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 5:12 pm

I don't think that kind of prosecution is right. He must have had a very bad lawyer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...   Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed... Empty

Back to top Go down

Pensacola man gets life in prison for loaning his car and then going off to bed...
Page 1 of 1