Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture Empty
PostSubject: Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture   Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:47 pm

My mom and her brothers used to run around with him every summer in Laguna / Dana Point where my great aunt and uncle lived. Seems like he was a really neat guy... sad that it sounds like he suffered the last five years. I had not known he was sick.

http://www.coastlinepilot.com/news/tn-cpt-me-0404-hobie-obit-20140404,0,1611838.story
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture   Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 5:20 pm

I remember his boards... and his catamarans and monohulls. He had a great life, it seems.

The catamarans were prone to pitch-polling, which means if you sail it hard and ram the bows into a wave, the boat would dig the bows in and pitch forward and flip with the mast pointing straight down.

When that happens, you are basically screwed.

I had a Boston Whaler Supercat that wouldn't pitch pole, no matter how hard you pushed it. Man, I loved that boat. I have a 5.2 meter Boston Whaler Harpoon monohull (just got it) and it is very nice to sail, but it isn't balls-to-the-wall that the Supercat was.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture   Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah, it seems like he lived his life exactly how he wanted to. You just can't beat that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture   Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture Empty

Back to top Go down

Hobie Alter dies at 80, shaped Southern California surf culture
Page 1 of 1