Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I believe this judge went too far.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

I believe this judge went too far. Empty
PostSubject: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:23 am

Eric's take: Know what the most common name on Earth is? Muhammed. Jesus is a common name in hispanic areas. What's the big deal with Messiah? (not that I think it is an appropriate name, but illegal)?

Article with video.

A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby boy’s name to be changed from “Messiah” after deciding it is a title that has “only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.”

NBC station WBIR reported that the parents of the 7-month-old went to a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court because they could not agree on his surname.
However, Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew decided Thursday that the baby, Messiah DeShawn Martin, should be renamed “Martin DeShawn McCullough.”

“The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ,” Ballew said, according to WBIR-TV. She said she made the decision in the best interests of the child.

“It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is,” Ballew said.

On Sunday, Jaleesa Martin, the baby’s mother, told the station that she planned to appeal the decision.

“I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs,” she said.
Martin said she liked how the name sounded alongside her two other children, Micah and Mason.

“Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else,” she said.

The appeal will go before the Cocke County chancellor on Sept. 17.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 pm

I completely agree with you, E... I'm not sure what kind of a person would name their child Messiah, but if that's what she chose to do, then that should be her right.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey there are lots of Mexican folks named Jesus so ...I don't see the problem.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:20 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Hey there are lots of Mexican folks named Jesus so ...I don't see the problem.
Exactly! And personally, I put that in the same column as naming your kid "Messiah." I don't really understand what sort of person would do it. But it's also none of my damned business, let alone the government's, so they should leave that lady and her kid alone.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 8:22 am

Eric wrote:
Eric's take:  Know what the most common name on Earth is?  Muhammed.  Jesus is a common name in hispanic areas.  What's the big deal with Messiah?  (not that I think it is an appropriate name, but illegal)?

Article with video.

A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby boy’s name to be changed from “Messiah” after deciding it is a title that has “only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.”

NBC station WBIR reported that the parents of the 7-month-old went to a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court because they could not agree on his surname.
However, Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew decided Thursday that the baby, Messiah DeShawn Martin, should be renamed “Martin DeShawn McCullough.”

“The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ,” Ballew said, according to WBIR-TV.  She said she made the decision in the best interests of the child.

“It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is,” Ballew said.

On Sunday, Jaleesa Martin, the baby’s mother, told the station that she planned to appeal the decision.

“I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs,” she said.
Martin said she liked how the name sounded alongside her two other children, Micah and Mason.

“Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else,” she said.

Does the judicial system NOT have more important matters to be concerned with?....
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 8:44 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:
Eric's take:  Know what the most common name on Earth is?  Muhammed.  Jesus is a common name in hispanic areas.  What's the big deal with Messiah?  (not that I think it is an appropriate name, but illegal)?

Article with video.

Does the judicial system NOT have more important matters to be concerned with?....
Seems like the judicial system is really in control of this country when they can determine the appropriateness of a kids name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I believe this judge went too far.   I believe this judge went too far. Empty

Back to top Go down

I believe this judge went too far.
Page 1 of 1