Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop Empty
PostSubject: mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop   mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Laptop was running slow on bootup. My suspicion is that Kaspersky antivirus loads virus signatures slowly... that and the fact I have so may local and network drives it needs to hand-shake with... AND I run a distributed computer app on bootup that calculates 3-D models of molecules.

It was taking a good 4-5 minutes to load everything. Waaaay too slow for me.

So, for $95, I bought a 128 GB mSATA card and installed it in a blank slot in my laptop. The original hard drive is now a "Z:" drive and the mSATA card... about the size of a business card... is my new "C:" drive.

The process was not Plug-N-Play by any stretch of the imagination, but I essentially cloned my operating system on the new mSATA and now the laptop boots from this Solid State (chip-only) drive.

This is what I had to do... http://blog.laptopmag.com/triple-your-speed-how-to-install-an-msata-ssd-boot-drive-in-your-laptop
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop   mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Here is a picture of an mSATA card.  You should NEVER hold a card by the contacts, BTW.

What a dumbass.

Oh, and my boot time is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of my original boot time. Wake-up from hibernate is slightly under 30 seconds. (Still not blazing speed, I admit, but cheaper than going out and buying a new laptop.)

mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop DSC_9366
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop   mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Eric wrote:
Here is a picture of an mSATA card.  You should NEVER hold a card by the contacts, BTW.

What a dumbass.

Oh, and my boot time is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of my original boot time.  Wake-up from hibernate is slightly under 30 seconds.  (Still not blazing speed, I admit, but cheaper than going out and buying a new laptop.)

mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop DSC_9366

An eraser was part of my tool box and every time I had to replace a plug in card such as this, I would take the eraser(per manufacturer's suggestion) and clean all the contact, then spray with trichlor and wipe with a lint free cloth before installing. So in light of this, I did not see any problem with handling these boards by the contacts especially since we had to clean them before installation anyway. I would be more concerned about electrostatic discharge before I would contact contamination.

FYI, yes we did use body grounding when working on delicate equipment.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop   mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 10:50 am

Wow. If I ever decided to do this, I would take our computers to our Computer Guy. Heck, it took me forever to learn how to post a YouTube. I would NOT be good candidate for this, but it seems great!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop   mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop Empty

Back to top Go down

mSATA installation on my Lenovo laptop
Page 1 of 1