Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solar boat circumnavigation on globe

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Solar boat circumnavigation on globe Empty
PostSubject: Solar boat circumnavigation on globe   Solar boat circumnavigation on globe EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 12:06 am

I could do this if I was invited by some rich dude...

Solar boat circumnavigation on globe Ms-Turanor-PlanetSolar-departs-Monaco-27-September-2010-courtesy-of-PlanetSolar

Here's a boat unlike any you’ve ever encountered. And that’s the point. The 100-foot Turanor PlanetSolar has a wide, flat deck covered in solar panels and last year entered the record books as the first solar-powered ship to circle the globe.

A boat that cool had to have a bright future and researchers led by Martin Beniston, a climatologist from the University of Geneva, are about to undertake an expedition that will examine the role oceans play in climate change.

Bastiaan Ibelings is a microbial ecologist at the university who is participating in the project. He tells TakePart that, “Aerosols, small particles in atmosphere, play a role in cloud formation, changing precipitation patterns, and scatter or absorb sunlight.”

“A lot of focus has been placed on man-produced aerosols, but oceans make an important contribution as well,” says Ibelings.

“These natural aerosols, often sulfates as sea or ammonium salts, are the most abundant condensation nuclei in unpolluted environments, like open oceans,” he says. “Aerosols can have both warming and cooling effects. Overall the latter seems to dominate helping to buffer climate change.”

Ibelings explains that during the expedition, the researchers will link what happens in the ocean along the Gulf Stream to the quantity and composition of aerosols. “In particular I’m interested in the link between phytoplankton (algae) production in the ocean and aerosol formation by the ocean,” he says.

He notes that phytoplankton face a challenge trying to bridge the gap between the light they need for photosynthesis, which is available near the surface of the ocean, with nutrients like nitrogen that are typically found at a greater depth.

“Climate change is globally having a negative effect on phytoplankton production as we can see on long term trends from satellite images,” says Ibelings.

“This is because the warming of the sea surface temperatures and the melting of ice caps reduces upwelling [the wind-driven motion of cooler water towards the ocean surface]. Warmer and less saline waters are less dense than colder waters with more saline and this lighter water floats like a blanket on top reducing mixing and the availability of nitrogen and phosphate for phytoplankton growth.”

While the PlanetSolar will be equipped with instruments that provide continuous measurements of temperature, salinity, and other elements, Ibelings says that little had to be done to adjust the ship itself. “We just made small modifications to enable proper instrument positioning.”

“The major advantage of PlanetSolar was there to start with. Unlike other vessels, it does not produce any pollution, so we get a much cleaner sample of the aerosols produced by the ocean.”
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Solar boat circumnavigation on globe   Solar boat circumnavigation on globe EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 7:01 pm

But does it have a LASER ?

Solar boat circumnavigation on globe Lq4paj10

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Solar boat circumnavigation on globe   Solar boat circumnavigation on globe EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
But does it have a LASER ?

Solar boat circumnavigation on globe Lq4paj10

Nah, but I'll bet it has an auxiliary motor and plenty of fuel on board.

(At least that is what I would want.) Redundancy is not a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Solar boat circumnavigation on globe   Solar boat circumnavigation on globe EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 am

I wouldn't want to be on that boat in heavy seas. It looks like it could easily capsize due to being top heavy. Then again, I prefer sails to motors. Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Solar boat circumnavigation on globe   Solar boat circumnavigation on globe EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:09 pm

It is nice to have multihulls when in relatively calm seas... and sailing catamarans are nice in that way, too.

I agree PB, I would prefer to have a monohull "leaner" and a heavy keel that righted the boat in a knock-down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar boat circumnavigation on globe   Solar boat circumnavigation on globe Empty

Back to top Go down

Solar boat circumnavigation on globe
Page 1 of 1