Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message! Empty
PostSubject: If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message!   If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message! EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm

If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message! Fakeav-100043293-orig
A message on your smartphone or tablet warning that your device is infected with malware is cause for concern. If you've never installed the type of antimalware app that would produce that type of warning in the first place, it should be an even bigger red flag.

Fake antivirus and ransomware attacks—a staple of PC-based malware in recent years—are making their way to mobile platforms. Fake AV displays a false malware detection in an effort to con you into paying for software to remove the infection, while ransomware locks up your system (or mobile device) and prevents you from using it at all until the ransom is paid.

Android is the primary target of mobile malware, and fake AV is no exception. Symantec has detected a new threat, which it has dubbed Android.Fakedefender. According to Symantec, this particular threat has elements of both fake AV and ransomware attacks. The alert is designed to look like a malware scan has detected an infection, but it also locks the Android device and prevents you from doing anything else until you pay the fee to download the “protection” app.

Once the malicious app is installed, the real fun begins. The malware has compatibility issues with many Android devices, and attempts to prevent other apps from being launched. It alters the settings of the Android OS itself, and in some cases requires a hard reset to restore normal functionality

The full PC World Article
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message! Empty
PostSubject: Re: If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message!   If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message! EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Great article E, thanks... that's pretty scary. I only download apps &c from the Google Play App Market (or whatever they're calling it today) and I use COMODO Mobile Security, which is a *really* great free mobile security app. I know you prefer Kaspersky, but it costs $15... I'm cheap and I trust COMODO completely Wink.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comodo.pimsecure&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jb21vZG8ucGltc2VjdXJlIl0.
Back to top Go down

If you aren't running antivirus on your Android, do NOT click this message!
Page 1 of 1