Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys Empty
PostSubject: Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys   Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm

LOL Seatoats should have posted this. But I kinda like the term "Negative Nancys) sounds a little better than "Naysayer" Maybe Pensacola is not so unique.

Do those who are always tearing Birmingham down, no matter how positive the development, actually believe their comfortable, suburban lives would exist if it weren't for a vibrant, progressing city center?
They must, because every time there is a positive story about Birmingham, they crawl out from their crevices and slam the city, its leadership, al.com for reporting it -- anything in sight. Yes, Birmingham has crime. There are neighborhoods and parts of the city that need a lot of attention. There is some dysfunctionality in city government.

But name a city that doesn't have problems. Still, the problems do not negate the successes.

Sunday, The Associated Press' Jay Reeves pointed out many of the positives, just this year, including recognition for the city for one thing or another by National Georgraphic Traveler, Forbes magazine, NBC's Today Show, Zagat and USA Today.

A poll also was published with that story, proving the negative nancys are a minority. As of 9 a.m. today, more than 1,600 people had voted in the unscientific poll, with fewer than a third finding nothing to like about Birmingham.

One problem, though, is that it's a very loud minority that leverages city's collective low self-esteem. They shout how terrible Birmingham is from any hill they can find, no matter what's happening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys   Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:52 pm

The traffic is pretty terrible, that's all I really know.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys   Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm

One good thing... it's safe to walk the city in the daytime.

They have a place called the Peanut Depot that was built a hundred years ago. They have four or five huge cylindrical roasters about 4 feet around and 8 feet long. When you go inside the place, behind the counter, they have a large bathtub-looking container full of hot fresh-roasted peanuts. The peanuts are wonderful. When I worked in the city, I would walk the ten or twelve blocks to the Peanut Depot and get a $5 bag and share with coworkers.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys   Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

I haven't been to or actually through Birmingham in years. I do know the Birmingham Holiday Inn was the stopping-off point where my family used to stay every year when we went on a three-day drive to visit my grandmother in Mississippi. It was always a big, big deal for us kiddies to see who could find the statue of Vulcan first as we were driving into town.

Lots of positive memories from our frequent stays at that Holiday Inn! They had the best motel pool, and we always rented poolside rooms.

And that's all I know about Birmingham. sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys   Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys Empty

Back to top Go down

Another positive Birmingham story, another herd of negative nancys
Page 1 of 1