Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tropical System in Gulf?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Tropical System in Gulf? Empty
PostSubject: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:22 pm

From the PNJhttp://www.pnj.com/article/20130604/NEWS09/130604015/Tropical-system-could-force-closure-Fort-Pickens

Tropical System in Gulf? Storm_91

Fort Pickens campground, park visitors and staff will be evacuated on Wednesday as park officials prepare for high surf and tide from a tropical system in the eastern Gulf of Mexico.

“We’re looking at nine foot seas and high tide on Thursday morning about 8 a.m., and combined with 25 mph winds we know we’ll have water and sand on the road,” Dan Brown, seashore superintendent said.

The move is a precautionary measure to prevent campers and staff from becoming stranded as they did during when Tropical Storm Lee’s storm surge in September 2011 pushed tons of sand and water across portions of the park road.

Brown said the Fort Pickens will remain closed until the impacts of the storm have passed and park rangers can remove sand from the road.

“We’re expecting this event to hit us on Thursday…and we’ll go out on Friday morning and start moving sand,” he said.

If only inches of sand are covering the road, he expects the park to reopen by Friday afternoon.

“We won’t know how long until the storm passes,” he said.

Road closures and park evacuations are becoming the norm since Hurricane Isaac last year chewed away much of the shoreline. A one-mile stretch of road near the campground registration building is the most vulnerable to high tides.

Since Isaac in August of 2011, Fort Pickens Road through the park has closed four times, he said.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Tropical System in Gulf? Rb-animated

GLOBAL MODELS SUGGEST THIS AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL REMAIN
GENERALLY BROAD IN NATURE OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS AS IT DRIFTS
NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD TOWARD THE FLORIDA BIG BEND REGION BY LATE
THURSDAY WITH THE PRIMARY IMPACTS REMAINING STRONG E-SE WINDS ON
THE EASTERN PERIPHERY OF THE MEAN LOW CENTER AND DEEP TROPICAL
MOISTURE IN WHICH TO GENERATE CONTINUED SCATTERED SHOWER AND
TSTM ACTIVITY FOR THE EASTERN GULF AND FLORIDA PENINSULA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Do y'all need the rain in Pensacola? .
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:25 am

nekochan wrote:
Do y'all need the rain in Pensacola? .

Yes, we do. Desperately. It rained some last night, I see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:26 am

I hope the storm gives you the rain you need....and nothing more!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:35 am

It looks like Pensacola will be on the dry side of this system.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 am

Well, damn.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am

Dammit. I need the rain so the last bit of "fuzzy brown oak tree stuff" will be washed away. My neighbors trees cause me too much pool work.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm

When I read the topic title my first thought was for all y'all's (that was my first Southern Grammar lesson when I arrived in Pensacola, lol) safety. Crying or Very sad

When I saw there would be 9-foot surf I thought, "Hell yeah! Good surf!!" cheers

I hope this doesn't develop and that you all will be "right as rain," tee hee. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tropical System in Gulf?   Tropical System in Gulf? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tropical System in Gulf?
Page 1 of 1