Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. Empty
PostSubject: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:56 am

Kimberly Blair: Ferry news has folks buzzing | Pensacola News Journal | pnj.com

Now that a Pensacola Bay ferry service is moving toward reality, thanks to BP early restoration dollars that will buy two ferries for the National Seashore, discussion is buzzing about how it will be successful.

Some people wonder who will be willing to take a ferry to Fort Pickens or Pensacola Beach and then have to actually walk or take trollies to destinations from the ferry landing?

Others visualize a fun-filled attraction that combines a boat ride, with a chance to see dolphins coasting in the ferry’s wake, and viewing points of historic interests such as Pensacola Naval Air Station’s light house and Fort Barrancas from the advantage point of the bay.

On Wednesday, Superintendent Dan Brown is meeting with all the stakeholders — city, county, Pensacola Naval Air Station and Pensacola Beach officials — for a “kickoff” planning meeting.

They need only look to other ferry systems or boat attractions to understand with the right marketing and packaging, Pensacola could create an unparalleled ferry ride that highlights the gems that make our area so desirable.

They could take a lead from another popular attraction in New Orleans that may be poised to return after being derailed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005; the Audubon Riverboat tour from the Aquarium in the French Quarter up the Mississippi River to the Audubon Zoo. Visitors could return by riverboat after visiting the zoo or choose to return by streetcar through the Garden District.

These stakeholders may also want to take a ride on the Seashore’s ferry service to Ship Island from Gulfport, Miss., to truly understand the type of service that can be offered and built upon here.

Some riders go just for the 11-mile cruise listening to the captain reciting historic facts about Ship Island, Mississippi Sound and other points of interests along the way.

Once riders arrive to the island with a historic fort similar to Fort Pickens, droves of people walk more than half a mile from the ferry landing across the island to get to a little sliver of white sand. And they haul all of their beach supplies — ice chests, beach toys, fishing poles — for a day of fun.

After taking that ride, I realized we have so much more to offer in a ferry excursion, including picking up Seashore and beach visitors for a trip to a ball game at the Community Maritime Park.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:03 am

I just assumed that the Fort Pickens ferry would transport cars too. With Fort Pickens Road washing out all the time, I figured that the ferry would serve to fill the need for vehicular access when the road washes out.

Fort Pickens is not compact and places like Battery Langdon and the campground loops will be too far to walk for a coot with a bad back like me.

I wonder if people will be able to bring bicycles?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:34 am

I e-mailed Kimberly Blair of the PNJ and her response:

Eric,
From what I've heard, they do want to consider allowing bicycles. Also, a new vendor at Fort Pickens is now renting bicycles and Dan Brown said they are looking into other ground transportation once the ferry system is in place to get people to the campgrounds and Langdon Beach.
Have a great day,
Kimberly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:54 am

I also think it needs to transport cars.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:07 am

The pattern I've seen is that the govt does not want private vehicles on federal lands... foot traffic is limited too.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm

PkrBum wrote:
The pattern I've seen is that the govt does not want private vehicles on federal lands... foot traffic is limited too.

And the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service would prefer that PEOPLE stay off Federal lands, too. Those bastards have too much power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.   Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars. Empty

Back to top Go down

Ferry System for Fort Pickens won't transport cars.
Page 1 of 1