Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected Empty
PostSubject: 1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected   1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:07 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/cicadas-come-cicada-killing-wasps-202442013.html

At least they're not locusts.

Also, the station reports, the insects will outnumber humans 600 to 1. Perhaps even more staggering: There will be some 1 billion cicadas per square mile in the affected areas.

But that's not all. On the heels of the cicadas come wasps that like to make meals out of cicadas. But even they may not be able to handle the swarms of singing insects.

“With the large swarms of cicadas emerging over the next few weeks, you can expect many more cicada killers,” First Warn Storm Team Chief Meteorologist Brad Panovich told WCNC. “But even they won’t be able to keep up with the swarms coming."

Cicadas are harmless to humans. The large species of wasp is usually harmless to humans, though females can sting if provoked.

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground. Near the end of their lifespans they emerge to climb trees, shed their exoskeletons and mate. Both females and males die soon after the females lay their eggs.

The next generation will emerge in 2030 to repeat the cycle all over again.

Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: 1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected   1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:19 pm

I am glad that I don't live on the eastern seaboard. As light of a sleeper as I am, I would never even get a wink of sleep.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: 1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected   1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:59 pm

I can remember collecting locust shells as a little girl in West Virginia and Maryland. We would go out and pick them off of the trees. We thought they were just the coolest things! Very Happy

Over the past few days, I've seen several recipes for locusts. Someone referred to them as "land-shrimp." Ummm.....no thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected   1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected Empty

Back to top Go down

1BILLION per square mile - circadas expected
Page 1 of 1