Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you) Empty
PostSubject: Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you)   Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you) EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Info from http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/newswidget/salt-Stephen-Sinatra-M-D-dietician-Tara-Gidus/2013/04/02/id/497481?promo_code=1030E-1&utm_source=sbgi.net&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

Quote :
Because table salt can flow out of shakers quickly and because it also dissolves quickly, it can be easy to over-salt foods with it.

Kosher salt can be either mined from the earth or harvested from the sea. It has a coarse texture, which causes it to dissolve slower than table salt. The larger crystals and crunchy texture often make foods taste saltier, therefore people use less of it. It is usually refined with few beneficial minerals.

Sea salt is obtained by evaporating sea water. The residue left behind contains not only sodium chloride, but a wide range of other essential minerals. Look for unrefined sea salt, which contains no additives like anti-clumping agents and also has high levels of vital minerals.

Unrefined salts may be brownish in color because of mineral content. The flavor tends to be a bit stronger which may lead you to use less, reducing your sodium intake.

Stephen Sinatra, M.D., a renowned cardiologist and bestselling author of “The Great Cholesterol Myth,” tells Newsmax Health that he prefers Celtic or Himalayan sea salt because it contains more minerals than other sea salts. These minerals include magnesium, calcium, and potassium.

Because of their larger crystals, kosher and sea salts contain 20 percent less sodium per tablespoon than table salt.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you)   Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you) EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Great post, EE! I don't salt my food much, but I have sea salt in a grinder which you can get in most grocery store spice aisles.
Back to top Go down

Use Kosher or Sea Salt... (better for you)
Page 1 of 1