Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?

Go down 
+2
Jake92
Eric
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? Empty
PostSubject: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

According to Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/us-usa-vote-virginia-idUSBRE92P0NV20130326

(Reuters) - Virginia voters must have photo identification starting next year under a measure Republican Governor Bob McDonnell signed into law on Tuesday.

Quote :
Virginia Republicans have said the law will prevent voter fraud, while Democrats have called it a maneuver to suppress the votes of older people, minorities and the poor.

McDonnell signed the measure "with the recognition that almost all citizens already have acceptable forms of photo ID that would allow them to vote and a majority of voters support this policy," he said in a statement.

The legislation provides for free identification with the bearer's photo to any registered voter who does not have one.

McDonnell also ordered the State Board of Elections to start a public information program to tell voters about the new requirement before the 2014 elections.

A similar bill in Arkansas was vetoed on Monday by Democratic Governor Mike Beebe, who said it might disenfranchise voters.

Personally, I think the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot with this. I agree that voters should use photo IDs, but the Republicans are giving the Democrats plenty of ammunition to appear that they are the champion of the "little guy".
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

The Dems should let ANYBODY buy alcohol, tobacco, and enter ANY other thing they want to buy and use any establishment, airplane, or any other type of transportation without ID then!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Jake, the thing is that we are looking at new legislation, new action. The Dems wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot by proposing the elimination of IDs.

They just want to sit by and let the Republicans do it.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm

I've needed photo ID to vote for years, so the Dems are trying to remove the requirement. Some places used it and others didn't.. The link says the Repubs are trying to require ID, not eliminate it..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Quite right, my man. The Republicans push for ID legislation and the Dems cry foul... saying they're picking on the poor folks who don't have IDs, nor the time to waste going to get one.

It's just an observation. I happen to agree with ID requirements at the voting booth... but all's fair in politics it seems.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm

If they don't have time to get a FREE ID card, when do they have time to vote or do anything else such as go to pick up something at the store.. I think it's a very very small minority of older LEGAL citizens that wouldn't have an ID, but a large number of illegal NON citizens that don't want one because they are afraid of being caught for being illegals. They shouldn't be allowed to vote if they are illegal aliens.

Last edited by Jake92 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Republicans have been pushing for a national id card also. It seems to me they lay both sides of the road when in fact republicans are as much for a big overblown all overreaching federal government as anyone. They are in love with the military industrial complex, control over inividual liberties and a federal theocracy only thinly disguised as other things.

The 2 party system is as broke as it gets.

Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Jake92 wrote:
If they don't have time to get a FREE ID card, when do they have time to vote or do anything else such as go to pick up something at the store.. I think it's a very very small minorithy of older LEGAL citizens that wouldn't have an ID, but a large number of illegal NON citizens that don't want one because they are afraid of being caught for being illegals. They shouldn't be allowed to vote if they are illegal aliens.

YES that generation with the guts to say go to blazes is dying off quickly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I would actually be in favor of a national voting ID, IF I thought it would stop people from voting in 2 or more states or that it would stop other types of voter fraud. But I'm sure that there are drawbacks to this that I haven't thought of. Generally, I am suspicious about and against more and more requirements from the federal government.

As for the Virginia law, I have no problem with it. Voting registration is a state issue and a I don't think it should be difficult to vote but it's crazy to suggest that requiring photo IDs is too big of a burden for anyone in 2013.
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 pm

This is the way I see Republican actions on ANYTHING:

What they do depends entirely on what the Big Business lobbyists TELL them to do.
Its always all about money.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:21 pm

I have always had to show my ID to vote. You have to show a photo ID for just about everything....from check-cashing to medical treatment. I don't see the big deal about ID for voting.
Back to top Go down
Newshound

Newshound

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am

Eric wrote:
According to Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/us-usa-vote-virginia-idUSBRE92P0NV20130326

(Reuters) - Virginia voters must have photo identification starting next year under a measure Republican Governor Bob McDonnell signed into law on Tuesday.

Quote :
Virginia Republicans have said the law will prevent voter fraud, while Democrats have called it a maneuver to suppress the votes of older people, minorities and the poor.

McDonnell signed the measure "with the recognition that almost all citizens already have acceptable forms of photo ID that would allow them to vote and a majority of voters support this policy," he said in a statement.

The legislation provides for free identification with the bearer's photo to any registered voter who does not have one.

McDonnell also ordered the State Board of Elections to start a public information program to tell voters about the new requirement before the 2014 elections.

I would ask....why are democrats so against?....We are asked for ID when purchasing alcohol...tobacco products...using a credit card...entering a military base...banking transactions...etc., and that's acceptable but somehow asking for a photo id to vote is offensive...racist...or demeaning?....Show the id and vote...perhaps the 'lady' in Ohio wouldn't have been able to vote six times if there was control....
A similar bill in Arkansas was vetoed on Monday by Democratic Governor Mike Beebe, who said it might disenfranchise voters.

Personally, I think the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot with this. I agree that voters should use photo IDs, but the Republicans are giving the Democrats plenty of ammunition to appear that they are the champion of the "little guy".
Back to top Go down
Newshound

Newshound

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 am

This really shouldn't a a political issue but it is....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 am

Newshound wrote:
This really shouldn't a a political issue but it is....

You're right, man. It's common sense. Especially when we read about a poll worker double voting AND voting for two other people.

It ain't gonna stop someone from sending in an absentee ballot and voting at the booth, but it will damn sure stop someone from voting for another... or a dead person!
Back to top Go down
Newshound

Newshound

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 am

But sadly this issue has been crafted into a racial...discrimination type of discussion...So those that feel that way should be equally offended in all the circumstances where an id is required...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 am

Newshound wrote:
But sadly this issue has been crafted into a racial...discrimination type of discussion...So those that feel that way should be equally offended in all the circumstances where an id is required...

It's really not significant... it's the PERCEPTION of racial intolerance by the Republicans that the Dems are capitalizing upon.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am

NOBODY mentioned race until Newshound said it.....
Back to top Go down
Newshound

Newshound

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm

If you've watched and listened to this debate over the years it certainly wasn't me that introduced the racial component to this issue....from the beginning the republicans...conservatives or anyone else that agrees with id's being shown has been called 'racists' and/or intimidating minorities to supress the vote--sound familiar?....Eric is 100% correct when he says the democrats have capitalized on this issue using race and discrimination as the leverage...go back and listen to some of the racial rhetoric used by Biden and other democrats in the campaign there was a reason they did this...the media would never challange and they saw and exploited political opportunity...truth?...None whatsoever but that doesn't stop them from continuing to tell a lie if people listen and believe that lie...Matter of fact democrats have the entire issue of race....they can call others racists and when a black conservative comes onto the scene they get away with calling him/her...token...sell out...house slave etc., and yet they somehow escape the scrutiny of the racism charges...why is that?....Of course there are racial components to this issue and unlike some others that may feel uncomfortable about this....not going to allow simple disagreement to be turned into something ugly as racism and discrimination for a party to gain political favor...That's where conservatives and republicans have lost their way....they've allowed themselves to be defined and portrayed by some that use the same tactics they accuse their opponents of using...Understand that this is an uphill battle with the biased media refusing to do their jobs but to cower away from such allegations is cowardace...
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm

I agree 100% that the Dems have the media doing their dirty work and making them look clean. The BIG thing is BOTH parties are crooked and won't do anything to clean it up.. I know, a party can't be crooked, but the people in them can be.....
Back to top Go down
Newshound

Newshound

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Believe the republicans have become media shellshocked and with almost any issue they are afraid with how they will be portrayed with the cowh and his adoring media...As anyone knows that's been around it's impossible to lead from weakness and until a candidate/politician from the gop reaches down and refuses to be portrayed and defined as something that he or she is not...Just think take Palin for example she was buried in the media and political pundits both politically and in her personal life...even the comedy shows got away with making fun of her family in a disgusting way suggesting incest as comedy....Had such comedic sketches been aimed at the cowh and his family...what would the allegations have been?...Some say families are supposed to be off limits but the media/networks are now in a position that they determine what is acceptable and to whom attacks disguised as comedy can be aimed...This isn't simply a rant without merit because there are many examples go back and just for one..check the snl sketches during the campaign....Having said that....it's time for the republicans/conservatives to get off their butts and get out into ALL the communities and set the record straight...It's time for a leader to get the nomination be nonapologetic for wanting conservative economic values and oportunities for everyone....Hope that the GOP takes a look at some of the successful governors that have turned around their states and actually created an open economic environment promoting growth/expansion rather than regulations to stifle businesses and small business owners...It can be done and there are examples in several states....
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

I wish just 1 politician would come out with proof of something and demand something gets done about it. What about the ones that didn't pay taxes??? What ever happened to them??? What about the ones that hired illegal aliens?? What about the ones proved to be doing things illegally.. They are required to follow the same laws that you and I do...

Last edited by Jake92 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Newshound wrote:

Yes, it has. The Democrats have made it an issue...claiming it discriminates against indigent citizens who can not get out and get a photo ID.....well those indigents were able to get out and apply for food stamps and other assistance. Perhaps a photo ID for government assistance would be beneficial. They can use it to prevent welfare fraud and use it to vote.... Kill two birds with one stone.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? Untouc10
Back to top Go down
Newshound

Newshound

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

Eric wrote:
Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? Untouc10

Voter apathy and being uninformed on issues keep the majority of those there....only have ourselves to blame
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 am

Have you ever talked to anybody that suppoorts letting illegal aliens getting govt benies? I NEVER have. WHY are they still getting them? It's the idiots in congress that need to stop the BS..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements?   Why are Republicans so hell-bent on photo-ID vote requirements? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next