Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Category Here

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:48 am

Requested by a forum member...

If a loved one or perhaps a forum member is in need of special help or prayers, please use this Special Requests area. Unless, of course, if it is more logical to post somewhere else in a category already established (i.e., Computers).
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Thank you Eric.

I have a friend who has Cancer and got the following mail from him a few days ago.. I asked Eric if he would put up a new catagory on the site where we can put prayer requests, and things like that. It could also be used for illness news, updates, and requests and offers of help.

THIS IS THE MAIL:
I have multiple myeloma. I received 2 bags of platelets and 4 units of blood. Treatment is at the University of Arkansas Cancer Treatment and Research Center in Little Rock. Everything is outpatient. This next Phase will wipe out my bone marrow and then to save me they will give me back my stem cells. Hope to be home by the end of March. Thank you for the prayers. It is through prayer that got me through the first Phase.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I've been sending up good thoughts for him since I received your email and will continue to do so, Jake.

Was up on the mountain top with the herd of elk today and sent up good thoughts and energy while I was up there with them. They are good medicine, for certain.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank you very much Ricie. I really do appreciate your energy and good thoughts. He's a pretty good friend and hubby of a very good co-worker friend I had until she retired a yr or so before I did.

I'm praying for you to have relief for the pain in your knees and the migraines. If it's possible, I would transfer some of the pain away from you and take it myself so you could feel some relief.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Anytime, Jake.

Thank you so much for your prayers... I really appreciate it. My knee and hip have been hurting especially badly the past few days since the temperature dropped, we got a bunch of snow and it's been really wet.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:36 pm

My knees are hurting me tonight too.. I went to Mobile for a stock car race and it was a little cool and windy. The walk wasn't bad, but the humidity and cold did affect my knees, especially since I was just sitting for a few hours. Mine hurt more if I sit for long periods and less if I walk even a few steps every 30 minutes or so. I usually make speed walks to the kitchen for something to drink or nibble on between e-mails or posts on the forum. LOL
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:25 pm

That's funny, I was supposed to go to the Famoso Raceway for the drag races today, but it rained down there earlier today and the track was to wet and slick to race on until real late in the day. We went for a drive up in the mountains instead.

My knee and hip KILL me if I sit for long periods of time without getting up to walk and stretch. On roadtrips I have to stop about every hour just to get out of the truck and stretch my legs real quick, otherwise I won't be able to walk at all the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Basic DJD, the fancy catch all name for arthritis. I'm really lucky so far and don't have to take lots of meds for them.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Totally FUBAR, the easy catchall name for what's going on in my knee and tibia area. lol
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 am

I'm sorry you have so much pain and problems with them.. I wish there was something I could do...
I broke my R tibia in 88 and once it healed, it hasn't been a problem. The 6 months in a cast were fun though. I never missed 1 day of work with it. I discovered it's easy to drive with my left foot for the gas and brake, it is possible to walk on ice using crutches, and I can climb 45 rows of seats with crutches after walking 1/2 mile on crutches just to get to the stands at Daytona. The hardest part was getting groceries from the truck into the house while still using crutches. LOL

Last edited by Jake92 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 am

Ha... like you, I am a serious pro on crutches. I can do stairs on crutches MUCH faster than I can on foot. I also had difficulty hauling stuff around, so i finally tied a boot box to one of my crutches and would put stuff in the box and haul it around the house like a little trailer... like food, dishes, stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 am

I see you mastered the part of being able to do what you wanted without a lot of help from other people. Gizmo, my sheltie was probably the biggest help I had. When I got home the first time with a cast on, he sniffed around it, then licked it right where the fx was. I think he would lie on top of the cast trying to keep it warm so the fx would heal faster. He kept me active taking him for a walk and never pulled too hard on the leash. I just looped it around one part of the crutches and never had to hold it. Showers became easy once I changed the spray head to one on a hose and I sat on the side of the tub. I just had a string tied to a wooden box to pull things around too.. I just took one of the drawers out of my kitchen cabinets and used that for the box.

Last edited by Jake92 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, I don't like asking other people for help, so I figured out how to take care of myself as much as I could. I wish I would have thought to change out the shower head to a hose. That was the only thing I could not do on my own, and my ex-husband would come over and put me in and take me out of the bath tub. Good thing we get along well!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 pm

If you ever need help getting in or out of the tub again, just let me know and I'll come give you a hand. It might take a few days for me to get there, but I will get there to help. LOL
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Jake92 wrote:
If you ever need help getting in or out of the tub again, just let me know and I'll come give you a hand. It might take a few days for me to get there, but I will get there to help. LOL

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm

LOL! Well you wrecked it for yourself by teaching me the whole hose trick. But thanks, man... I think. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm

I would be 100% respectable...... I can always hook up the little hose if you needed it hooked up.. LOL
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 pm

If Riceme gets stuck in her tub, she can text us and we'll take up a collection to buy Jake an airline ticket.

I do hope you have lots and lots of hot water available, Rice. And do make to pay your utility bills, as we wouldn't want Jake to be confronted with a Ricicle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 pm

LOL. I actually have the luxury of a 50-gal water tank... This place is meant for a whole family to live in. I take SUPER hot showers, so I especially like that feature. You already know who I would call if I ever (god forbid) break my knee & tibia again... James' folks live right down the hill from me and Poppi would come up and help me anytime. Added bonus is that he is only one of two people who have ever been here and actually know where I live, the other one being my own dad. I know, I know... I have a whole airport full of baggage. Someday I'll get better.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Otherwise, we sound like three stubborn peas in a pod. Like both of you, I don't like to accept help. Besides, there's something empowering about becoming a master (mistress?) of crutches, canes and walkers.

Jake, your story about your dog sleeping on your cast touched my heart. When I was having tummy problems recently, one of my cats insisted on trying to sleep on my stomach at night, whereas he usually sleeps by my side. I'm convinced animals know when we are wounded or ill, physically or in spirit, and will do whatever they think it will take to help.

There are many stories about animals that can sense disease in a human being, sometimes even before it's diagnosed.

When my mother was dying at my sister's home, my sister's neighbor's cat would show up at the door every morning. When we let her in, she would gently hop up on Mom's bed and lie down by her side. The kittie would stay there all day, until it was time for her to go home. After Mom died, the cat never tried to come into my sister's house again. She was our hospice kitty.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

riceme wrote:
LOL. I actually have the luxury of a 50-gal water tank... This place is meant for a whole family to live in. I take SUPER hot showers, so I especially like that feature. You already know who I would call if I ever (god forbid) break my knee & tibia again... James' folks live right down the hill from me and Poppi would come up and help me anytime. Added bonus is that he is only one of two people who have ever been here and actually know where I live, the other one being my own dad. I know, I know... I have a whole airport full of baggage. Someday I'll get better.

Heheeeeheeee.....we're just forming a forum contingency plan in case you forget their phone numbers. You can just type in the forum URL under ICE, hit save, and push the one button if needed. cheers
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Roger that!

Ya, I got to be pretty slick with a walker and a wheelchair, but I never did like the cane, probably because unbeknownst to me the whole time I was using it the top of my tibia was tumbling around in my knee joint breaking other bones and destroying the soft tissue. That sucked, to say the very least.

My sweet Kitty used to try to lay on my head when I had migraines. Funny thing is, as you're aware, I am SUPER light-sensitive when I get migraines so that was okay with me most of the time... so long as I wasn't hurling every five minutes.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 am

I love my cane. It's still sitting beside my computer desk after all these years.

My mother bought it for me at a yard sale back in '99. It looks like an antique wooden cane, but some ingenious soul added a tri-foot to it, complete with a custom made metal piece attached to the over-sized primary rubber foot. The metal piece has three smaller plastic feet attached to it.

The way it's made, you can move the cane around on it's axis when you're standing in one place, say to reach for the mail in the mail box or a glass of water, but the three rubber feet won't leave the ground.

It was perfect for me during the three years or so that I needed it. It spoiled me for all other canes, too. Basic canes just don't provide the security my custom made model does, even the new quad canes. If you move the quad cane left, right, backward or forward with the quad cane base, at least two of the feet come off the floor, which reduces security significantly.

I should patent it, shouldn't I?
Back to top Go down
Jake92

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

It's worth a try.. The hard part is trying to find a manufacturer willing to make it for such a small market of people.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 am

Jake92 wrote:
It's worth a try.. The hard part is trying to find a manufacturer willing to make it for such a small market of people.

I've been tempted in the past to try and figure out how to make and market them myself, but the major problem would be liability insurance for the product (of course!) I suppose starting up as an LLC would cover it, but the prospect of just one person claiming injury due to my product is enough to give me great pause.

I even have a name for it. It's the "Flexi-Cane."

Have you seen that ad on TV targeted toward inventors? It cracks me up! For a fee, they will help you get your product "certified." What a rip-off! What's it certified for - an "As Seen on TV" label?

Arghhhh!

Sorry to bogart your forum, Jake. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Category Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Category Here   New Category Here Empty

Back to top Go down

New Category Here
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next