Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3w: Any suggestions for me?

Go down 
+3
Joanimaroni
PkrBum
riceme
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

3w: Any suggestions for me? Empty
PostSubject: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:22 pm

3w: Any suggestions for me, given the following information:

Generally healthy, slender 41-y/o female, primary concern is my knee and tibia. Patella has been shattered twice, tibia has been broken in half twice, major soft-tissue damage to meniscus and ACL. Conflicting information from three Orthopaedic Surgeons regarding early-onset osteoporosis and arthritis. I drink a metric crapload of organic fat free milk and yogurt, which one (best and most trusted... Dr. Kirby Turnage in Pensacola, last guy to reconstruct my knee and tibia) OS said has staved-off early onset of both of above. Prior two OS's said I had early-onset of both, but as mentioned, Dr. Turnage is my guy.

Only other major issues are frequent migraines and "seizure-like behavior" (grand mal) which has been under control via medication for several years now.

Probably important to note that I used to be extremely active, but my ACL is currently not attached to anything, so... not a possibility right now given those circumstances. Not a good time for another surgery for several reasons.

Oh, and I've tried taking MSM @750mg and 1500mg, but didn't find that it helped... but maybe I should give it another go?? The only supplement I take on a regular basis is Prenatal Vitamins, not because I plan on getting pregnant anytime soon (or ever, for that matter), just because it has so much good stuff in it for women and was recommended to me by Dr. Alicia Chen in Pensacola, who is awesome and I trust. At times when I've stopped taking it I've noticed I don't feel quite as good as when I do.

Thank you, doll! Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Wow... I've been complaining about my knees... but yours sounds terrible. Surg may be your only option at some point. The good news is that they do amazing things now... even total knee replacements. I know two people that have had both done and they wish they had done it long ago. I'm not quite ready yet... still trying to strengthen my legs (doesn't sound like an option for you) with some success. None of the meds or supplements have helped except ibuprofen... which I'm trying to ween off of.

Good luck... I'll let you know if I find anything that helps.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 pm

PkrBum wrote:
Wow... I've been complaining about my knees... but yours sounds terrible. Surg may be your only option at some point. The good news is that they do amazing things now... even total knee replacements. I know two people that have had both done and they wish they had done it long ago. I'm not quite ready yet... still trying to strengthen my legs (doesn't sound like an option for you) with some success. None of the meds or supplements have helped except ibuprofen... which I'm trying to ween off of.

Good luck... I'll let you know if I find anything that helps.

Yeah don't complain to me, buddy! lol... kidding! First thing that needs to happen is the stars have got to align so that I can get my ACL reattached. Apparently all the hardware needs to come out at the same time, which I fear tremendously. I have now lost count of how many pins, screws, etc. are in there.... at least 15, I think. My doctors and Joani all tell me that the hardware is likely what causes me so much pain on a daily basis. But I am absolutely terrified to have it all removed because of how painful my reconstructive surgeries have been and because of the excruciating experiences of others' I've read about on the internet.

When I first broke it all (it will be 13-years on April Fools Day... how's THAT for a joke??) my OS told me then and there that I needed a total knee replacement but that insurance would not cover it until I was 45... Same story when it all broke again in 2008. Dr. Turnage told me the same thing. So, I am very likely the only girl in the world who is looking forward to turning 45 (come on baby... only 4-years to go!). Haha.

My dad is 78 and has had both knees and one hip replaced and is healthy as a horse. Goes to the gym 4-days a week and hikes the hill in back of their house with my mom every day at dawn. He was a heavy equipment operator for the county fire department for 37+ yrs, and a carpenter as well... spent his life jumping off things he should have climbed off of in retrospect. They now have regulations for stuff like that, but not in his day.

You are right to want to kick the Ibuprofen... that stuff is bad for your liver and/or kidneys, as I understand it. I don't take it... not that it would put a dent in the pain that I have anyways.

Definitely let me know if you find something and I'll do likewise. Hopefully 3w will have a good recommendation for us as well.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Rice the removal of hardware is normally not that painful....BUT you have so much.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Rice the removal of hardware is normally not that painful....BUT you have so much.

Yeah... I'm thinking it's 13 or 15 pieces, but I honestly have lost count. Plus the SS stitching that's keeping my meniscus attached to my femur, but I doubt that would be removed. Plus there will be more after they reattach my ACL eventually. And after all the horror stories I've read -- which I honestly wish I had never seen -- I really am terrified about the pain. I've never read anyone say that it was not that big of a deal. But you know how that goes... people who have good experiences don't tend to write about it. I know that rationally, but it's not really a rational thing for me at all. Both of my reconstructive surgeries were excruciatingly painful and recovery was over 6-months for both.

Ibuprofen is bad for your liver and/or kidneys when you either take a lot of it or take it for a prolonged period of time, right? I'm pretty sure that's why I stopped taking it years ago. Not that Aspirin is any better.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Yes it can effect the kidneys and liver and over a period of time can corrode your stomach.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Riiight... my tummy! At one point I thought I likely had a bleeding ulcer (when I worked for GE, of course!) and THAT was the primary reason I stopped taking it, not that it was likely the source of the issue. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 pm

I am afraid of taking Acetaminophen... And I ain't afraid of nuthin'. jocolor

Acetaminophen and alcohol killed my brother's liver and eventually killed HIM.

He had a really bad case of shingles and it lasted years.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 am

Eric wrote:
I am afraid of taking Acetaminophen... And I ain't afraid of nuthin'. jocolor

Acetaminophen and alcohol killed my brother's liver and eventually killed HIM.

He had a really bad case of shingles and it lasted years.

I'm sorry to hear that, EE and I don't blame you one bit for being afraid to take Acetaminophen. I won't take it either ('specially since it won't help me anyhow!). Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Acetaminophen, whatever... all bad for your guts, period. I used to eat Excedrin Migraine by the handful until I got the memo. I don't even know why I bothered because it never actually helped... it was just wishful thinking/hoping. It's all bad juju.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 5:00 pm

I am not sure they have ever pinpointed the cause of migraines i seem to recall possible blood constriction in the neck or head?

Dr. Turnage was actually a good customer of mine, not too very long ago made a delivery to his home off Scenic myself lol. He is highly rated and of course as all OS he is a surgeon and who i would have gotten the rotator done by , obviously i dont need that now.

Knees are a whole different ballgame than your shoulder. As i said there were really four things i think that completely solved my problems not sure if they would help.

Working out with peogressive resistance not only strenthens but breaks up the scar tissue around a joint. This has worked before somewhat like my swimming and body surfing this summer but that alone did not effect what has happened now. But it is the first place to start.

The supplements that i use which do indeed lesson sweling and have helped me i think have been the creatine whcih super hydrates muscle and reduces swelling both before and after strenuous exercise the down side for you is weight gain is probable. DHEA is a pro hoemone whcih both lessons swelling inreaeses estrogen and in men testosterone, also can help with osteiporosis but again it is w pathway hormone. It has woeked for me and inceases lean muscle for sure. The last and tha last i started on is coq 10 a free radical killer but also lowers BP and cholesterol. But it also can help with osteo.

In the long run you could way up the harmless ones like chondroiton and msm glucosamine but u sound like in the end Kip is your guy.

OT could help but everything they tell you you can do on your own wih bands and small weights
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 pm

My migraines began when I was 5, right after my mommy died. A couple years later I began "passing out," and my mom became so alarmed that she took me to what is likely the best medical facility on the West Coast, the Sansum Clinic in Santa Barbara for a complete 3-day work-up... CT Scan, MRI, EEG, EKG... halter monitor, the whole shebang. Was diagnosed with "seizure-like behavior" (not epilepsy because my scans were and have always since been clean, but I know now that they're grand mal... at the time I'd always had them while I was alone), hypoglycemia, Fibromyalgia, and of course severe Migraines.

I'm happy to hear that Dr. Turnage has been a good customer to you. He is truly Good People, and I absolutely adore him. I hate to get too personal here, but while I was his patient I was going through my divorce, which was extremely traumatic for me... when I said "'til death do us part," I'd meant it. Anyhow, once while in his examination room I broke down crying (and I am not a "crier" at all). I was extremely embarrassed and between sobs, kept apologizing profusely. As busy a man as he is, not only did he comfort me, but he asked... no, he pleaded with me to go ahead and tell him what was troubling me. We spent no less than 45-minutes discussing my personal issues and the excruciating pain I was experiencing because of my divorce. Like I said above, he is just Good People... a truly fine man whom I respect tremendously and adore with all of my heart. There are far too few surgeons -- or doctors! -- like him in the world. And medically speaking, were not for him I would not be able to walk today. Not only that, but after billing my insurance I only had to pay $200 for the complete reconstruction of my knee, tibia and soft tissue because it was originally scheduled to be an arthroscopic exploratory surgery, as because of the extensive hardware in my knee & tibia, he could not clearly see exactly what was wrong. When he got in there, he saw that the top of my tibia had broken off again then tumbled around in my knee joint for 4-months (why it was 4-months is a terrible story and Dr. T advised me I could have sued for malpractice, but that's just not my style. Instead, I asked him to speak directly to the other sh*tbag OS and explain exactly what he overlooked (he never even looked @my films or file) and what he did to me), shattering the piece of bone into millions of small and large pieces and shattering my patella again, plus it had destroyed my meniscus and ACL. I went into surgery @0900 and did not get out until 1630, and it was scheduled to have been a 15 - 20 minute procedure, plus he had to call-in an additional OS from his practice across the street to assist him. He cleared his entire day for me, sent everyone else home, and instead of billing for the extensive reconstruction he performed, he so very kindly simply billed me for the original simple procedure for which I was originally scheduled... outpatient. Had he rescheduled the reconstruction, it would have been inpatient @WFH and would have cost me a small fortune.

ANYHOO... Back on-subject! We are thinking alike. After reading your post on the other thread here @Health, I was thinking that when it warms up and the local swimming pool opens up I should start going there to swim. My uncle goes regularly, so I could go with him... it would be fun! I was also thinking that I needed to pick-up some of those big stretchy rubber band-type dealios. All the better for stretching and strengthening my crappo joints and atrophied muscles in my left leg!

Because I must avoid weight-gain, I'm going to skip the Creatine for now. Ooo! I just looked it up on Wikipedia and learned some additional interesting stuff, particularly under the "Treatment of Diseases" section (link below)! To be clear re: DHEA, you're referring to "DHEA" and not "DHEA Sulfate," correct? As breast cancer runs on one side of my family and I just read that it is POSSIBLE that DHEA might increase BC risk, I'll get a low-dosage. Oh, CoQ10 is GOOD STUFF!! Free Radicals are bad juju, man!! I took that stuff for years and somewhere along the way I stopped taking it... likely when I was dirt-poor while @University. lol. As an added-bonus for me, it is a migraine prophylactic! Woo-hoo! Regarding blood pressure, mine has always been unnaturally low, as is my dad's. I never experienced any negative effects in that regard when I took it before that I can recall, but hopefully it doesn't drop me into a dangerously low BP level. Haha. Also very low bad cholesterol and great good cholesterol... same as Dad. Grateful to have gotten his good genes... ahh, except for those bad joints! Suspect Will certainly also pick up some Chondroitin. However, as I mentioned before I have some MSM... just read the label and am a little confused (see screenshot below). As you can see (left side, italics) the label mentions "Glycosamino-blabadie-bloo." I'm unclear on whether that means that my MSM has Glucosamine in it already or not... ?? I did learn while reading-up on Glucosamine & MSM that folks often stop taking it because they "FEEL" no positive effects from it, which is precisely why I stopped taking it. Good to know that the objective is not pain relief, but reparation.

Hey, you said that OT could help me, but I suspect was a typo and you may have meant "PT"?? In which case I am in complete agreement with you... I've had enough PT in my day to be able to manage it on my own, and I still have all of my past PT instructions and assignments.

3w: Any suggestions for me? NB_MSM_Label

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

Thank you SO MUCH, 3w!! You've no idea how much i appreciate you taking the time and energy to help me out and advise me on this issue. You're the best!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:57 am

Joanimaroni wrote:

I had a rod from my left knee all the way up to my rear end for over a year when I fractured my femur. After I had the rod removed, my leg felt so much better! Plus, I was able to walk halfway normally again. That rod sticking into my backside was.....well.....a literal PIA.

I wouldn't even begin to advise you regarding removal of your hardware, Riceme, except to say I did feel better after I had that rod removed. Your case is totally different, since it involves an intricate joint rather than a simple long bone.

That rod is still in my house somewhere. The doc gave it to me after he removed it. Guess he thought I should put it on the mantle, eh?

My pharmacist will probably look at me sideways when I buy a bottle of prenatal vitamins. :-) I have never heard that recommendation before, but it makes sense to me.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:19 am

While we're talking about great docs, I have to mention Dr. Wendy. That would be Wendy Osban, DO from the Sacred Heart Medical Group.

She's been my doctor for eleven years. When I lost my insurance, she didn't dump me as a patient, as I've seen some local doctors do to others over the years. Instead, she kept seeing me on a cash basis.

She is compassionate, kind, and does whatever she can to help. She saw me through a recent rough patch, and I credit her with helping me regain a semblance of balance in my life.

Many, many thanks, Dr. Wendy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:58 am

Oh I would definitely want every last piece of hardware if I ever get it removed, and if you ever saw my house you would understand immediately that all that hardware WOULD go on the mantle! (I collect old tools, and that's what hangs from my walls as art.)
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 am

I know Dr Dabazies is a fantastic surgeon who works with Dr Turnage. He did my dad's hip and deceased wife's hip and they both said it's was an enormous relief from the pain. His father was the head of joint replacement at Tulane Medical School until Katrina came thru and the last I heard he is doing the same thing someplace in TX. He has been doing joint research to develope better hardware and ways of repairing the damaged joints. They talk at least weekly on the latest advancements for today, next month and next year. He has some different devices that he developed which are already in use..

For my DJD in my knees, sleeping with a pillow under or between my knees helps more than any of the nsaids. I rarely take any meds for mine and use a heating pad a few times a yr.

I know cafergot is a great medication for migraines, and the treatment for intense migraines when you can't be under the influense of medications is simple caffiene from coffee. The pounding in migraines is caused by blood pumping thru constricted arteries/veins in your head. The caffeine relaxes the muscles around the arteries/veins, which in turn relieves the pounding and pain. I hope I was able to help a little.... Caffeine is also in some soft drinks ie Pepsi and Coke.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:03 am

Interesting info re: Dr. Dabazies who works w/ Dr. Turnage! I could never say enough good things about Dr. Turnage... it is absolutely true that I would very likely not be able to walk today if it were not for him, and I will forever be grateful for the wonderful care that he gave me, and for the kindness that he showed me during my divorce. Such a wonderful man.

I *always* sleep with a pillow under my knees... I simply cannot sleep with my knees flat, as it is excruciatingly painful.

Since I've suffered from migraines since I was 4 or 5, I have tried nearly every medication known to man both to keep them at bay and to knock them out. I now take Topamax @200mg/day to limit the frequency of my migraines (and it truly changed my life), and right NOW I am taking Butalbital when I get migraines because it is cheap... I prefer to take Frova, but it is INSANELY expensive (as in $490 for 9 pills) and it is not in the budget at the moment because I am trying to change jobs, and Butalbital & Frova are the only two meds that have ever been effective for me without having terrible side effects. Butalbital has a crapload of caffeine in it. Unfortunately I projectile vomit uncontrollably and am extremely light and sound sensitive when I get migraines and neglect to take my meds to knock them out (and sometimes even when I do), and herbal, alternative and OTC remedies have never worked for me. :/ But I certainly appreciate the info! Thank you much, SS!!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 am

One thing that did work for me for migraines was feverfew tea. I grew some feverfew for just that reason. However, when a really bad headache hit, I tore off almost all the leaves of that poor little plant. I crunched'em up green and made a stiff tea out of them. Believe it or not, it helped!

After that, I bought some feverfew capsules at Everman's. I didn't have the same response with the dried feverfew. It didn't seem to help at all.

I'm going to try growing some feverfew again this year. Several plants, if I can find starters. It's not an easy plant to find locally, so I made need to plant some seeds.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

I use the longer "body pillows". They give me something soft to snuggle up to and put between my knees and feet. Yeah, I'm pampered...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am

Ja, EE... I have coveted a body pillow for several years now. 'Specially since I now live alone and *HATE* sleeping alone. I just need to get offa my kaboody and buy one! Since I have an Amazon Prime membership and therefore get free 2-day shipping, I'll put it on my Evernote list of things I need to purchase there.

Thanks for the reminder, mang. Youse a good 'un... I don't care what everyone else says about'cha! lol Wink
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 am

riceme wrote:
Ja, EE... I have coveted a body pillow for several years now. 'Specially since I now live alone and *HATE* sleeping alone. I just need to get offa my kaboody and buy one! Since I have an Amazon Prime membership and therefore get free 2-day shipping, I'll put it on my Evernote list of things I need to purchase there.

Thanks for the reminder, mang. Youse a good 'un... I don't care what everyone else says about'cha! lol Wink

My favorite (most comfortable) one is polyester-filled and was made by a US company called Sabre in Fairburn, GA. I HATE the body pillowcases that just slip on (without a zippered closure). The pillow cases slide off, otherwise and I'm always trying to stuff that big pillow back into the pillowcase... a real pain in the patootie.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:41 am

I'll look into that, but I historically prefer cotton filled pillows that are either skinny to start out with or get skinny w/use. Not sure if I want that in a body pillow though, as I might would like it to feel more like a man is sleeping next to me, since as I said above, I *HATE* sleeping alone.

I am also a fan of the zippered pillowcases, and the ones I have that are not zippered fall at least half-way off every night. Super annoying. Good tip though... when I do finally make my purchase I will be sure to purchase a zippered body-pillow case. Danke!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 pm

I have a king size adjustable bed and get tired of sleeping alone too, but I do have 2 cats that will jump up and cuddle when THEY want to... I also have a king size pillow, a regular one for my knees and another one to hug.. Sometimes I wish the dang pillow had arms to hug me back.. LOL
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I hear ya. I once saw a picture of a pillow online... it was a body pillow that had an arm that curved around you. Sooo wanted one! Kitty slept with me every night for over 16-years and she was the best little snuggler a person could hope for. Blue Kitty does sleep with me, and she starts out snuggling, but she is rambunctious and starts "playing"... biting my hands, toes and hair (pulling it) and pawing at my face with her claws during the night and at the ass-crack of dawn, which is really annoying.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Mine cuddle when they want to and will usually get close to my face so their whiskers tickle the crap out of me and I wake up. When they want to sleep, one gets his butt by my hip and his head by my knee while he has his legs on both sides of my thigh. The other one lies across both calfs. I feel quilty if I wake them up when I move.. LOL
They used to love getting on top of an entertainment center and jumping onto the bed, of course landing right on my belly, or walking onto my belly and jumping from there to the top of the entertainment center. An 11 pound cat is like an 11 pound bowling ball landing on you but the worst part was when they jumped from me up.

Last edited by Jake92 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:16 pm

I agree! Blue Kitty sometimes jumps off the railing of the 2nd story loft directly onto the couch, the floor (bamboo, ouch!) or ME! UGH! But I agree that it's worse when she launches from my belly onto something higher up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3w: Any suggestions for me?   3w: Any suggestions for me? Empty

Back to top Go down

3w: Any suggestions for me?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Health-
Jump to: