Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2016 Garden

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:31 am

We just planted (into big clay pots):

2 Jalapeno plants
2 Red peppers (like red bell peppers... sweet)
1 Green (Bell) pepper plant
1 Purple Heirloom tomato plant (produces large tasty tomatoes)

And these tomatoes came in plastic pots:
1 Better Boy Hybrid tomato (came in it's own container with a short plastic basket... added taller basket)
1 Early Girl tomato (extended basket like the Better Boy)
2016 Garden Veggie10

and, we have our herb garden with rosemary, oregano, spicy oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, chives, chocolate mint, and pepper mint.  I need to take the top off and put a piano hinge at the back so the top can be raised.  The Rosemary is the big plant to the left of the cold frame structure. We have an automatic drip irrigation system inside the two-level cold frame structure.
2016 Garden Herbs10

Oh, almost forgot... yellow squash, which we planted in a large mature compost bed.  Christine planted that and said she saw two huge earthworms when she dug the hole to plant the squash.  We're hoping that this squash plant becomes a monster!
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Jake posted this on a different thread:

I have 4 tomatoes, 4 bell peppers, 2 red 1 yellow, and 1 green, onions, lettuce, beets, carrots, asperagus, and cucumbers already planted and growing.. I have cucumbers and 3 colors of bell peppers growing from seeds still inside the house.. I'll plant them outside once they get a little bigger.. I still have some parsley from last yr growing outside.. The tomatoes all have a lot of blossoms and 1 has quarter - half dollar size tomatoes growing on it.. I just planted a grape tomato last week..
Back to top Go down
Jake92

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm

I have a LOT of cumquats growing.. I've been eating them right off of the tree and they are good.. :-)
Back to top Go down
Jake92

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 9:41 am

Eric, I've been eating lettuce and a few tomatoes for the last 2 weeks.. I can have lettuce daily, but only 2 tomatoes so far with quite a few getting ready in the next week or two.. Rabbits got to my bell peppers and spinach, but I found a way to keep them away.. Pensacola Seed and Garden told me to get human hair from a barber shop and spread it around the garden.. I did it, and it worked great with NOTHING eaten by animals since then.. I also planted a few sweet potatoes and squash yesterday..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

I planted squash into a huge compost bed a month ago. It is looking very healthy, to say the least. This bed has huge earthworms and is very well composted.

I haven't eaten any tomatoes yet, but there are a bunch that are big and hopefully they'll ripen on the vine without the birds pecking holes in them. I have chicken wire around a group of three tomato bushes, but birds seem to find a way to get to my tomatoes...
Back to top Go down
Jake92

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 1:27 pm

I haven't even had a problem with the birds YET.. I did put a few moth ball hangie thingies in the back of the garden.. There is also a fence around the garden, but not over the top of it.. Things in my compost pile are doing great with nothing but the hair from the barber shop.. I have soooo many big worms in it that they recycle things within a few weeks.. My bell peppers that the rabbits chewed down to the ground grew new leaves and are getting blossoms again already.. My spinach is also growing back after being eaten down to the ground..
Back to top Go down
Jake92

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:18 am

Eric, I've been getting 1 or 2 tomatoes every other day or so along with lettuce.. I had 1 small hole from a bird last week, but none since I put some hair from the barber shop around the plants..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyFri May 06, 2016 11:10 am

My first big crop of tomatoes was ruined by worms. Not your usual big green tomato worms with the spike on the head, but skinny brownish ones. I have had a few tomatoes, but am skittish on a repeat worm attack, although I don't see any more worms. I have been picking my tomatoes when they are still green and putting them in the window sill inside until they turn red.

My squash plant is becoming huge! I'll post a picture later in the day. It's currently in the shade and a pic would look like shit. The leaves are huge, with the biggest leaves 17" across!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyTue May 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Here is what our squash plant looks like. I thought it is pretty big, but from looking at other pics on the 'net, it isn't huge by comparison.

2016 Garden Squash10
Back to top Go down
Jake92

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden EmptyTue May 10, 2016 12:53 pm

WOW, mine are still very small compared to yours.. Mine are small plants with small leaves, but they have a lot of blossoms.. I'll have to try cleaning tree roots out of my compost pile in the fall and try them there.. I have live oak roots growing up from under the pile and they are crowding the soil, but the other garden is doing great.. Still no animals eating anything since I put hair from the barber shop on it.. I have a lot of tomatoes that are growing by the day and should be turning red soon.. I've been eating grape tomatoes for the past few weeks, but only a few a day from my 1 grape tomato plant.. I had 6 scallions yesterday and planted 20 new bulbs to take their place.. I have a lot more I could pick, but might let most of them grow into onions.. I also have more lettuce that came up last week because I ate most of the rest of it. I might have to thin out some of my radishes too.. They are growing in 3-4" of potting/garden soil mixed, but there is weed block under them.. I might just have to put up some 2x12s for next yr.. It's just a 3-4' wide 20' long place against the fence in the back.. My corn is about 2' high, but is growing bigger by the day.. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2016 Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 Garden   2016 Garden Empty

Back to top Go down

2016 Garden
Page 1 of 1