Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River Empty
PostSubject: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:56 am

From NorthEscambia.com - LINK (Note: the text below is just an excerpt from this linked article.)
The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River Bluffs10

The Bluffs: 60 Industrial Site, 15,000 Job Plan For Cantonment

A new site in Cantonment could, in the long term, be home to as many as 60 new industrial and manufacturing companies and more than 15,000 jobs.

The public/private partnership is called “The Bluffs – Northwest Florida’s Industrial Campus”. The 6,000 acre master-planned development area includes about 1,700 acres of land that can be developed in an area east of Highway 29 bordered by the Escambia River to the east, Becks Lake Road near International Paper to the north, and the University of West Florida to the south. Although located along the Escambia River, most of the property to be developed is at a high elevation, about 100 feet above sea level, and not in a flood plain.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 3:47 pm

I would be very interested in knowing what type of industry and manufacturing they have managed to attract to the area and how they did so, meaning what tax breaks, etc. were offered. If it's light industry and manufacturing you could be looking at 15k jobs that are barely above minimum wage. If it's heavy industry, you're looking at well paying jobs that people can actually live off of. Still, I question how they managed this.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Oh, I see... there are no companies yet. That makes a lot more sense, lol. There's a reason there's no industry in Pensacola. I've already stated my opinion on light industry wages and heavy industry requires logistics that Pensacola does not offer. The logistics in and out of Pensacola are abysmal. You've got a port you can't use to import or export freight, ditto the rail lines that are a complete CF, you cannot land a cargo ship at the airport, and aside from being on the i10, you are isolated from.... EVERYTHING. Extremely limited options to get freight (think big, hazardous, cheap, whatever) in or out is a complete pain in the ass and very expensive. You may as well be in Alaska. Ha.

The only reason GE started building wind turbines in that old Westinghouse plant is because we were supposed to be able to use the port to ship and receive parts and turbines utilizing the free trade zone, saving millions each year. That never happened because no steamship line can or will send their freight into that port. The turbines and turbine parts you have seen in the port are GE's competitor's: Vestas. We also used it because they were shutting down that site for building generators, so it was going to be mothballed and all those folks were getting laid off because no one in their right mind would have ever bought it from us.

As far as "industry" goes, correct me if I have missed something since I've left, but besides tourism GE is kind of the only game in town and they've brought a lot of suppliers to the area, all of which are high paying jobs for the area. It will hurt when they shut down.

Anyways, I just don't see Pensacola or Escambia county attracting industry to the area without major tax breaks, which defeats the whole purpose.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 am

Pie in the sky, Ricey. The adage "If I build it, they will come" doesn't always work.

The only good thing going for it is that there is barge and rail access. I get a kick out of the dotted line showing a rail line going to the port... as if they will ship manufactured goods from there.

Tax incentives work, but only for the right customer. It seems that many companies locate in an area because they were enticed by a sweetheart deal, milk it for what it is worth, then go belly-up... or relocate to a better sweetheart deal in another city.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Brewery.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Siemens Wind Power was courted all over the country to build their fancy new manufacturing facility with promises of high paying jobs for residents. Hutchinson, Kansas in Reno County gave them huge tax breaks to build there... like to the point where they weren't making any revenue. They brought them in for the jobs only. Then the market went to sh*t and they laid everyone off.

Bummer, dude. The whole state was pissed off at them, and that is no exaggeration.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 2:16 pm

It is exorbitantly expensive to ship in and out out of the Port of Pensacola because big freighters from big steamship lines don't come in there. Not to mention, it takes FOREVER... like double the time to about anywhere. I tried it once. Never again.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 5:39 pm

riceme wrote:
It is exorbitantly expensive to ship in and out out of the Port of Pensacola because big freighters from big steamship lines don't come in there. Not to mention, it takes FOREVER... like double the time to about anywhere. I tried it once. Never again.

Pensacola's port is not far from open water.  It's a shame that shipping doesn't take advantage of that.. and it is a shame that Pensacola hasn't built the infrastructure (docking, large cranes, etc).  In Mobile, for instance, it takes FOREVER to get to the port, once a ship has left the Gulf.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

Pensacola's port is not far from open water.  It's a shame that shipping doesn't take advantage of that.. and it is a shame that Pensacola hasn't built the infrastructure (docking, large cranes, etc).  In Mobile, for instance, it takes FOREVER to get to the port, once a ship has left the Gulf.

Yes, I completely agree. The reason the port has not ("cannot" would be more accurate) built the infrastructure is because they cannot expand. Nowhere to go because the real estate is too valuable to the tourism industry. There is little sense in investing in upgrading equipment within the existing footprint if they cannot expand. Kind of sad.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 6:35 am

Eric wrote:
Pie in the sky, Ricey.  The adage "If I build it, they will come" doesn't always work.

The only good thing going for it is that there is barge and rail access.  I get a kick out of the dotted line showing a rail line going to the port... as if they will ship manufactured goods from there.

Tax incentives work, but only for the right customer.  It seems that many companies locate in an area because they were enticed by a sweetheart deal, milk it for what it is worth, then go belly-up... or relocate to a better sweetheart deal in another city.

Didn't Santa Rosa County get burned a few years ago with the plans/hopes of developing an industrial park and a housing area....both collapsed due to lack of support....Understand the concept but usually there is a deal in place with a company to locate/re-locate to the area....Oh, well the county could always change plans and build a soccer complex.....that worked out well....
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 am

I heard about this "project" several years ago. I don't see any expansion there due to the paper mill (even though the smell is not as bad as it used to be.) Becks Lake was bought out years ago to be developed as an RV destination but it's gone nowhere. There is already a small Escambia County industrial park north of Cantonment full of empty buildings. Remember the "modern sawmill" that was built near McDavid? Closed. This county can't ever seem to get their act together to attract major business because of the good old boy network. They won't let anything happen unless it benefits them.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 8:11 am

nochain wrote:
I heard about this "project" several years ago. I don't see any expansion there due to the paper mill (even though the smell is not as bad as it used to be.) Becks Lake was bought out years ago to be developed as an RV destination but it's gone nowhere. There is already a small Escambia County industrial park north of Cantonment full of empty buildings. Remember the "modern sawmill" that was built near McDavid? Closed. This county can't ever seem to get their act together to attract major business because of the good old boy network. They won't let anything happen unless it benefits them.

Off of Quintette or Barrineau Park Road.....Plenty of vacant lots available for years so yes it stands to reason that Escambia County would try again....where does this county rank economically?....
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:11 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:
Pie in the sky, Ricey.  The adage "If I build it, they will come" doesn't always work.

The only good thing going for it is that there is barge and rail access.  I get a kick out of the dotted line showing a rail line going to the port... as if they will ship manufactured goods from there.

Tax incentives work, but only for the right customer.  It seems that many companies locate in an area because they were enticed by a sweetheart deal, milk it for what it is worth, then go belly-up... or relocate to a better sweetheart deal in another city.

Didn't Santa Rosa County get burned a few years ago with the plans/hopes of developing an industrial park and a housing area....both collapsed due to lack of support....Understand the concept but usually there is a deal in place with a company to locate/re-locate to the area....Oh, well the county could always change plans and build a soccer complex.....that worked out well....

Wasn't that out by the sheriff's office?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River   The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River Empty

Back to top Go down

The Bluffs - a new development on Escambia River
Page 1 of 1