Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola

Go down 
+2
Eric
Linda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Linda

Linda

Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola Empty
PostSubject: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 8:50 am

From the PNJ

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/pensacola/2015/06/26/lumon-may-involved-confrontational-traffic-stop/29360131/

About sixteen minutes of footage of a traffic stop. Not sure why the police would routinely check a tag number on a truck driving down the street.

Lumon is very agitated.

It ends with another officer giving him a piece of paper.

Drama in the 'cola... Razz
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 10:47 am

If it had been a county LEO (May is a County Commissioner), I doubt the incident would have lasted so long, y'know?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 1:19 pm

No comments from the police or May. What the heck was the deal? We'll see if there is a follow up story.
Back to top Go down
Paix

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 12:27 pm

I wonder how many times there is a stop like this in which there is misogyny, escalation, laws broken (by the bystander, and at least three by May), police trying to drum up a charge (do you see it? It has nothing to do with the tag), and no one gets arrested.

There was a lot or respect and restraint shown by the officers, despite some irritating errors made, and that May (beyond breaking the law) acted like a complete jerk.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes, May acted like a complete jerk and the incident could have been much shorter had he simply given the lady officer all his paperwork immediately. However, the fact is that the officer ran his tag with no reason to do so. She said she was just driving behind him. Yes, she was, however when he crossed the intersection she was able to see him as a black driver of a nice pick-up truck. Then she decides to turn left and follow him a few blocks. If you heard him yelling at her he said he had been stopped 101 times, probably an exaggeration but unless you are black you don't understand that DWB is not an abbreviation because it never happens.  Most black drivers probably just take it with no argument but Lumon May knew his position with the county and he also knew he had done no wrong. There was no reason for her to interrupt his day. She was talking loud, threatening to put an innocent bystander in jail (probably ticked off that he was filming the whole thing) and apparently wanting to take both men in to jail when no infraction had been made.

The second officer was much quieter, approached May with his hands folded in front of him (non-threatening, obviously) and got a much more reasoned response. I'd definitely say the lady officer needs more training. I don't know what Florida law is regarding running tags when no infraction has been noted. I do know that if you're black and driving an expensive vehicle, you're more likely to be stopped than if you are white and doing the same. That should not be true but it is.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 pm

It looks like his tag says JC NOPE on it. That alone would get my curiosity up and run the tag.

Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola Jcnope10

What do y'all think it says?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 4:19 am

Eddard wrote:
Yes, May acted like a complete jerk and the incident could have been much shorter had he simply given the lady officer all his paperwork immediately. However, the fact is that the officer ran his tag with no reason to do so. She said she was just driving behind him. Yes, she was, however when he crossed the intersection she was able to see him as a black driver of a nice pick-up truck. Then she decides to turn left and follow him a few blocks. If you heard him yelling at her he said he had been stopped 101 times, probably an exaggeration but unless you are black you don't understand that DWB is not an abbreviation because it never happens.  Most black drivers probably just take it with no argument but Lumon May knew his position with the county and he also knew he had done no wrong. There was no reason for her to interrupt his day. She was talking loud, threatening to put an innocent bystander in jail (probably ticked off that he was filming the whole thing) and apparently wanting to take both men in to jail when no infraction had been made.

The second officer was much quieter, approached May with his hands folded in front of him (non-threatening, obviously) and got a much more reasoned response. I'd definitely say the lady officer needs more training. I don't know what Florida law is regarding running tags when no infraction has been noted. I do know that if you're black and driving an expensive vehicle, you're more likely to be stopped than if you are white and doing the same. That should not be true but it is.

Of course his disrespectful behavior and arrogant attitude would somehow be the fault of the law enforcement officer...And as usual throw in the 'race card' just for good measure and suddenly the officer is now a 'racist' and stopping people for 'DWB'...what a freakin joke. Is there anyone anymore accountable or responsible for their behavior?....Bottom line--May's conduct escalated the situation and an individual in his position should have complied went about his business and made a phone call later if he thought he had been treated unfairly .. As 'eric' pointed out sure that once identified May was given far more latitude to be a jerk than other citizens may have been afforded....If there is something that doesn't appear correct with a tag [dirty...bent...unreadable...etc.,] an officer is well within their duties to run the tag...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 4:20 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Eddard wrote:

Of course his disrespectful behavior and arrogant attitude would somehow be the fault of the law enforcement officer...And as usual throw in the 'race card' just for good measure and suddenly the officer is now a 'racist' and stopping people for 'DWB'...what a freakin joke. Is there anyone anymore accountable or responsible for their behavior?....Bottom line--May's conduct escalated the situation and an individual in his position should have complied went about his business and made a phone call later if he thought he had been treated unfairly just as any other citizen should do. .. As 'eric' pointed out sure that once identified May was given far more latitude to be a jerk than other citizens may have been afforded....If there is something that doesn't appear correct with a tag [dirty...bent...unreadable...etc.,] an officer is well within their duties to run the tag...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 7:31 am

I was waiting to get a haircut one day sitting next to a State Trooper. We started yakking and talking about computers, he said he was on his all day running tags at lights and for cars in front of him. He said it always amazed him how many times he turned up people with suspended licenses, warrants, etc. Fine with me, I don't have anything to hide.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 am

nochain wrote:
I was waiting to get a haircut one day sitting next to a State Trooper. We started yakking and talking about computers, he said he was on his all day running tags at lights and for cars in front of him. He said it always amazed him how many times he turned up people with suspended licenses, warrants, etc. Fine with me, I don't have anything to hide.

Correct... it's not uncommon for that to be done.. It's just something that is done and when at a light license plates are just noticed---well except Alabama tags or lackthereof because their system is a nightmare...This traffic stop is being so scrutinized that it's on the ridiculous side by some...There is NOTHING to indicate a racial component being involved yet...it's brought up in some way shape or form...a serious allegation and there's no evidence so why add it when it's not applicable?...Blaming the officer for the behavior of May is foolish...and yet it's now acceptable to do so....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 7:40 am

Eric wrote:
It looks like his tag says JC NOPE on it.  That alone would get my curiosity up and run the tag.

Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola Jcnope10

What do y'all think it says?

To his credit May apologized to the FOP and the Officer involved....Guess the nonsense of DWB and blaming the officer was simply another attempt to smear an officer doing her job....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola   Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola Empty

Back to top Go down

Lumon May traffic stop in Pensacola
Page 1 of 1