Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) Empty
PostSubject: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Article at Pensacola Today

It costs $8,000 per Gallery Night and they're running a monthly deficit of $2,357.  Many businesses reap a windfall, but only a few pony up voluntarily to help sponsor the events.  This is definitely a problem, however I am against gubment making another rule to force the freeloaders to pay... even if it kills Gallery Nights.

But then you get stupid statements from the people, who don't want people to come and have a good time, who say
Quote :
Two major issues, aside from the monetary, will need to be addressed soon in changing nature of the event are the garbage left behind and a potential increase in crime, Peacock said.

This is bullshit on both items.  

1.  There are plenty of garbage cans and people use them.  It is rare when I see a cup on the street, and I have picked them up.  Now, I usually leave by 10 p.m. or so and, granted, the folks left over can suddenly turn into trashy vagabonds after we leave, but I doubt it.

2.  Those artsy-fartsy folks (mayor included) that don't want people to do anything but visit the art galleries.  They talk about the "potential" increase in crime because there ISN'T an increase in crime.  This gathering of people is the safest one that I have ever experienced.

The money is a valid issue.  I wish the businesses that stay open and do a good business would pony up and make Gallery Nights reach "the black".

Gallery Nights showcase Pensacola in a good light and the good will generated by folks coming downtown and having a good time help to revitalize the downtown.  People that come downtown and have a good experience will most likely come back during times that are not Gallery Nights.  

I hope the mayor and his upper-crust crowd don't kill a good thing.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 4:07 pm

1. Who are the freeloaders?
2. Is there a fee charged for the street vendors to set up their wares?
Back to top Go down
Paix

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 6:04 pm

It's a thoroughly enjoyable event, but the businesses are reticent to pony up when the time comes, and there are costs that have to be addressed. The other problem is the DIB who can't every leave anything alone and have control issues. A "potential for crime"? Doesn't that exist everywhere?

It has morphed from a more upscale event - I remember wearing cocktail dresses when they first started, but there were only a tenth of the people showing that there are now. Even so, I never have seen any behavior that I would consider problematic, and the trash issues are infinitesimal compared to some other events they have downtown.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Like Paix said, freeloaders are businesses that are open in the Gallery Night corridors, and therefore earn monies off the Gallery Night crowds, but do not help defray costs.  It's a touchy situation, because I don't think anybody is considering a heavy-handed mandatory assessment, but it would be nice if more of the open businesses that take advantage of Gallery Night crowds would help defray costs.

Most of the "street vendors" are businesses that set up retail sales on the sidewalks in front of their usual establishments. There are a few vendors that have food service licenses for their mobile facilities.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 9:31 am

I never understood how this is not just an extension of business hours. The cost of doing so falls onto the business owner. Why would there be a cost for "Gallery Night" if each business is paying their own overhead to remain open during those hours?

Perhaps DIB is just an added layer that is not needed and the downtown businesses could do this on their own?

Maybe I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle.
Back to top Go down
Paix

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 10:33 am

http://ricksblog.biz/gallery-nights-are-expensive/
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks!

Go back to Quarterly. Gives people something to look forward to and keeps the unique quality of an event.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 10:46 am

I don't have a problem with that, Linda. Perhaps once a month is too often, I dunno.

But it still doesn't fund the shortfall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)   What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights) Empty

Back to top Go down

What the hell is wrong with these people (wanting to kill Gallery Nights)
Page 1 of 1