Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead Empty
PostSubject: I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead   I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5961204/oil-rig-explodes-off-the-coast-of-louisiana-updating

I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead Origin11

Quote :
The Coast Guard reports that an oil rig 17 miles southeast of Grand Isle, Louisiana owned by the Houston-based firm Black Elk Energy caught fire this morning. It has confirmed that two people are dead and two are missing. While it's impossible not to think immediately of 2010's Deep Water Horizon disaster, it's too early to tell the extent of the damage so far.

We're update as we learn more from the Coast Guard, Black Elk Energy, and other sources on the ground. The Coast Guard has activated a "command center" for the incident and says it will provide additional details later this morning.
Update 11:45
WWLTV reports that four people have been airlifted from the well to the hospital. According to Jefferson Parish, Louisiana Councilman Chris Roberts there are no reports that any oil has spilled. It's a shallow water well so it's much less dangerous than other wells.

Update 11:52

There's a report that the two missing people jumped overboard.

Upadte 11:54

WWTV also has a statement form Black Elk Energy

We cannot confirm or deny anything at this time, but we are assembling an incident command team right now," said Black Elk Energy asset manager Kirk Trascher

Update 11:59

WWL-TV has additional details straight from the Coast Guard...

Coast Guard Captain Peter Gautier said there was believed to be 28 people on the platform at the time. He said there were rescues that were done by Coast Guard and Good Samaritans.

Gautier said the platform was not actively producing oil and it is not believed that there is any chance for a major environmental disaster.

Well, that's a promising so far.

Update 12:03

Just yesterday, BP agreed to a plea bargain with the government in which it would admit to criminal responsibility for the 2010 Deep Water Horizon explosion that killed 11 workers and dumped untold millions of gallons of oil into the gulf. BP will pay 4.5 billion in fines. [WSJ]

Update 12:06
We've got a statement on from Black Elk Energy, which says still collecting information. "We have Black Elk personnel on the scene, and we will release a statement this afternoon," a representative told Gizmodo.

Update 12:10

Here's some background on Black Elk Energy's well operations from its website. It's a major player with many wells in the region of this disaster.

Black Elk Energy holds interests in properties offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, located within Louisiana and Texas State and Federal waters with depths ranging from less than ten feet up to over 6,000 feet.

Through a series of selective transactions, Black Elk Energy has grown to include an aggregate interest in more than 854 wells on 155 platforms located across 430 thousand gross acres offshore. Black Elk holds a significant acreage position in the Gulf of Mexico from the mouth of the Mississippi River to Mustang Island

Update 12:14

We spoke to United States Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Bobby Nash, who told us, "We'll deal with the environmental impact once everyone is accounted for."

Update 12:20
Here's an image of Black Elk's well locations. The specific rig that exploded is highlighted with an arrow.

I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead Origin12
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

I hope this is not true - oil rig in Gulf on fire - Two Dead
Page 1 of 1