Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Man dies two weeks after being tased

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

Man dies two weeks after being tased Empty
PostSubject: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Have any of you heard anything besides what's in the paper about this? It sort of sounds like he may have been on PCP or having a psychotic break to me, but it's so hard to tell from what's written in the news, let alone the PNJ.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/17/man-dies-two-weeks-tased/20545199/

Terrible all the way around.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:39 am

riceme wrote:
Have any of you heard anything besides what's in the paper about this? It sort of sounds like he may have been on PCP or having a psychotic break to me, but it's so hard to tell from what's written in the news, let alone the PNJ.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/17/man-dies-two-weeks-tased/20545199/

Terrible all the way around.

There was definitely a problem somewhere with this individual.... the ME report will or should go a long way to explain...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 10:25 am

The kid's father said it was "unconscionable" that such force (5 tasings) was used against his son.

I can see where a father would think that.  You would think that if you were the father too.

But dammit, the kid was running beserk around an elementary school (6 am), punching, kicking and elbowing deputies, and was wearing only a tee shirt.  

Sad, but from what I read... jumping to conclusions here... the deputies did what they should have done to subdue this kid.

My heart goes out to the parents of this kid.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 11:01 am

Yeah, I am in agreement with you both. Very sad. Update this thread if you hear anything, would you please? I am interested because it struck me that he might have had similar issues as the young man who murdered my aunts... he was a paranoid schizophrenic, but that had a very different outcome of course.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:14 pm

On NorthEscambia.com, this sentence was in the report... misspelling is theirs...

Quote :
Investigators reported find “Kick Brains”, a brand of synthetic spice drugs, in Healey’s home.

From the comments on NorthEscambia.com, his friends and co-workers said he didn't do drugs. From what I have read about Spice, it is some really BAD shit. If he wasn't a drug user, and used Spice - thinking it wasn't going to hurt him, what a shock it may have been to him when that stuff kicked in.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 6:59 pm

My first thought on this was drugs. Can a taser kill? Did he OD?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 pm

SheWrites wrote:
My first thought on this was drugs.  Can a taser kill?  Did he OD?

Tasers absolutely can kill people, but it is typically people either in poor mental or physical health or who are using drugs (lots of them). They have been known to cause sudden cardiac arrest and/or other problems. I'll find a link to post.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Deaths & injuries related to Taser use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues#Deaths_and_injuries_related_to_Taser_use

Taser safety issues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Here's the link to the NorthEscambia article:

http://www.northescambia.com/2014/12/man-dies-two-weeks-after-being-tased-by-escambia-deputies

I always forget that the comments on this site are read from the bottom up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 2:16 am

Man dies two weeks after being tased Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS71azxWgOzSUXUaiRMryrvO70EBaqrNQJ2jZzHFieNlYCncjkhEA

A police taser starts out at 50KV and drops down to approximately 1.2KV.

Of course if you pump that type of voltage into anyone there are going to be consequences. That's why they're used and most of the time they should be non-lethal. On the other hand if the person is in poor health, pacemaker, or if there's a lot of water in the area the consequences will be even more severe. However, even rubber bullets and bean bags shot can kill.

The trade off here is that tasers are less likely to kill than the policeman's firearm.

That doesn't mean they won't. I mean come on...

What do you think kills a person sitting in an electric chair?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

Smile
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 8:26 am

Big nets. Think Spiderman.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm

I have been tased before and can tell you that even the (relatively) low voltage Tasers you can buy on the internet hurt like a MF-er. I cannot imagine getting tased in the chest or neck by one of the police-issue Tasers, let alone five times in rapid succession.

Actually, I'm only assuming that the police issue Tasers have higher voltage... ??
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 am

riceme wrote:
I have been tased before and can tell you that even the (relatively) low voltage Tasers you can buy on the internet hurt like a MF-er. I cannot imagine getting tased in the chest or neck by one of the police-issue Tasers, let alone five times in rapid succession.

Actually, I'm only assuming that the police issue Tasers have higher voltage... ??

It was just a week or so that tasers were the preferred method of dealing with someone resisting... When hit and you ride the lightning there are only a very small percentage that will not drop immediately especially those that are on some kind of stimulant...which as pointed out is never a good mix...
Just based on what was reported the ME results will hopefully give a reason for the outcome...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 12:39 pm

I think I'd rather be hit with a bean bag round, but yeah... I hear you.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 3:55 pm

riceme wrote:

Bean bags leave BIG bruises and can break bones...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 6:19 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

Bean bags leave BIG bruises and can break bones...

I know... that's what I'm saying. Getting Tased hurts bad enough that I'd rather take my chances with a bean bag round.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Better than bleeding holes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Man dies two weeks after being tased   Man dies two weeks after being tased Empty

Back to top Go down

Man dies two weeks after being tased
Page 1 of 1