Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Where is the Thanksgivng thread?

Go down 
+3
Jake92
Linda
Joanimaroni
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Where is the Thanksgivng thread? Empty
PostSubject: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 5:44 pm

It's Wednesday and I' m tired. The dressing is made minus the broth and eggs. Pecan pie and white chocolate cheesecake is done. Pumpkin pie complete.  The squash casserole (12# of squash) and broccoli casserole have been made and given to the girls to bake and bring  tomorrow. That is how I get them to cook. Green bean casserole will be made by my daughter in law and granddaughter and corn casserole by my "adopted" daughter( she cooks). Sister is bringing fruit salad and rolls. All that is left for tomorrow is the turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes, and mashed potatoes and serving 24.

I made the ham glaze and gave the ham and glaze to daughter#2 with concise instructions ( score the ham, pour pineapple juice over ham, and brush on 1/3 of glaze, cover with foil and bake)..... A 15 minutes discussion followed my instructions. Baking  a fully cooked ham should be easy. It shouldn't be that technical......of course I did not realize there was an open and closed part of the ham. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Joanimaroni on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 pm

That post surely makes this the official Thanksgiving thread. No kids home for Thanksgiving so it's a small meal for four tomorrow with the outlaws. I'll do the cooking. They like it simple and I can do simple. cheers
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

I don't know how to cook for a small group.....even with 24 people they will go home with left-overs.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Happy Thanksgiving...........
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:47 pm

What? No cloves embedded in the ham?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 am

Sounds delicious, Joani. I have not gotten the story of how this happened yet, but the turkey thawed early so Deb ended up making Thanksgiving supper today instead of tomorrow. I get off at noon for Thanksgiving tomorrow, not today, so I'm going out for leftovers tomorrow. Oh well... she is a great cook and the leftovers will be delicious.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Be safe.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 am

Have a great Thanksgiving Ricey...... We decided to have ham, turkey, and some of Cindy's fantastic stuffed peppers along with the other Thanksgiving things.. We are doing all of the cooking for 8 of us..
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:26 am

May you all have a bountiful thanksgiving !
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 7:42 am

Lessee. Parades, football, a great meal, family fellowship... we have a LOT to be thankful for.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, y'all.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 7:52 am

Eric wrote:
Lessee.  Parades, football, a great meal, family fellowship... we have a LOT to be thankful for.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, y'all.

Amen Eric.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you....and Eric, no cloves in the ham. It will, however, be studded with pineapple rings. Daughter called last night and asked if I wanted pineapple slices on the ham....
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Wondering if we might be seeing the beginning of some issues with my mother-in-law.  They do not like to eat dressing/stuffing.  I made the simple, usual fare for them - turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans almondine, salad, fresh cranberry sauce, iced tea and rolls.  (its carb overload for me but it makes them happy)  Well, I was doing the cooking and taking care of everything and she comes into the kitchen with a box of Stove Top stuffing.  I said, "I never knew you liked stuffing."  She replied, "Well I used to make it all the time."   Shocked  She did not.  So, I take a phone call and the next thing I know she has burned up the pot with the stuffing.  We recovered from that, continued with the meal prep, and ate lunch.  Then lo and behold if she didn't turn that pot of burnt dressing back on.  

There have been a few things that have caught our attention but nothing quite like this.  We're tuning in more and will be on the lookout for other signs.  She is 78.

Otherwise, the day was a good one.  All kids doing well and enjoying their Thanksgivings with their loves.  Life is good.

Any thoughts on other things to watch for with mother-in-law??
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 pm

When my mom was in her 80's and living with us, we had those problems too. After a few minor mishaps, she never touched the stove again.

She never wanted to eat food out of the refrigerator saying "Well, that's your food." So, we got a big bowl, set it on the kitchen counter, and filled it with nutritious snacks and sweets, saying it was her bowl... for her to eat. It worked out pretty good.

Here's a pic of her at age 90. At 4 p.m. sharp, she would have a glass of Zinfandel.
Where is the Thanksgivng thread? Mom-9010
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Turning on the stove and walking off is a biggie! Hopefully she does not drive.

My dad started slowly with his Alzheimer's. One of the first dangerous signs was his driving. He would forget to look before changing lanes and then he started getting lost while driving. Another sign is bathing....not sure why but people with Alzheimer's have a fear of being in the shower/ tub. They will lie and swear they bathed. Some subtle signs, dad could not remember how to change channels on the tv,. he would sit and watch a program and had no idea what he was watching. Another sign,  they are not comfortable being out of their normal surroundings and they want to go home.

My dad wanted to go camping on the 4th of July so I took him. We got the camping spot he wanted and as soon as I had backed the camper in and set it up, dad said, "wrong campsite". I moved that damn camper 4 times. After finally setting up camp dad got in the car and blew the horn. I asked what was going on and he told me he forgot something and I had to drive him home. We discussed the issue and his final words on the subject were "if I'm a bother to you I will walk home",  not my dad at all. I took him from Ft. Pickens to Pensacola, with traffic it took almost 2 hours to get home.  Dad went in the house and came out with a half a loaf of bread. OMG!

At 3:30 in the morning dad screamed for me. I jumped up and dad told me we had to leave, he said it's an emergency.     When I got in the car I asked what the emergency was. Dad looked at me with tears and said, "my mom needs me." His mother was 96 and in a  nursing home. When we got to the house I was walking up the steps and heard the phone ringing. The call was from the nursing home telling me grandma died an hour ago. Unbelievable!
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:55 pm

She looked very out of sorts but then kinda of sprang back into herself.

Thanks for sharing about your parents. I know this is something many are dealing with today.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:59 pm

I will add...one of my docs prescribed Hydergine liquid for dad. Colorless and tasteless, we put it in his juice every morning. (Dad did not want to take medication) It has never been established if the medication actually helps with Alzheimer's but I can honestly say his condition never got better but more importantly, it never progressed.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Eric wrote:
When my mom was in her 80's and living with us, we had those problems too.  After a few minor mishaps, she never touched the stove again.  

She never wanted to eat food out of the refrigerator saying "Well, that's your food."  So, we got a big bowl, set it on the kitchen counter, and filled it with nutritious snacks and sweets, saying it was her bowl... for her to eat.   It worked out pretty good.

Here's a pic of her at age 90.  At 4 p.m. sharp, she would have a glass of Zinfandel.
Where is the Thanksgivng thread? Mom-9010

What a pretty lady!
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 9:11 pm

I agree and meant to mention her in my post. Lovely.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 11:03 am

Good stories everyone!

It's been a tough and funny week. We spent twelve hours on the road yesterday (coming back from an unscheduled out-of-state hospital trip for my daughter), and I have learned that as bad as the day before Thanksgiving is for holiday travel, the interstates were nearly empty yesterday.

I almost threw in the towel on Thanksgiving this year, but decided the kids deserved a nice meal regardless. So, I was up early, getting the cast iron cornbread going and the pie in the oven…when I noticed the dishwasher was leaking all over the floor….

No matter what the universe throws at us, I plan to push back with an equal and opposite reaction. Tonight I will pop in White Christmas, put on an apron and wash a mountain of dishes…

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Hope your daughter is doing well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where is the Thanksgivng thread?   Where is the Thanksgivng thread? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where is the Thanksgivng thread?
Page 1 of 1