Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why don't people get cancer of the heart?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Why don't people get cancer of the heart? Empty
PostSubject: Why don't people get cancer of the heart?   Why don't people get cancer of the heart? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 am

My wife said she read last week that heart cells don't replace themselves and the number of heart cells you have is set at birth. Therefore, cancer, which is runaway cell replication, doesn't happen in the heart.

I did some limited research and found this primarily to be true... researchers think that only 1% of heart cells are replaced in a year.
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/heart-muscle-can-regenerate-itself-in-very-limited-amounts-scientists-find

I don't know about the cancer aspect, but it kinda makes sense on face value.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Why don't people get cancer of the heart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why don't people get cancer of the heart?   Why don't people get cancer of the heart? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Heart cells don't replicate

However if I recall correctly there is a very and I mean very rare tumor hearts can get
Back to top Go down

Why don't people get cancer of the heart?
Page 1 of 1