Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alcubierre metric

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdfhSzzXMymwOgKpeOlGHnfOFSzaySlV8CWx_7wpwWuprmv_CK

ds^2 = -\left(\alpha^2- \beta_i \beta^i\right)\,dt^2+2 \beta_i \,dx^i\, dt+ \gamma_{ij}\,dx^i\,dx^j

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erL15K5eRnI

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 12:01 am

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv5zmgI_efKgUdR-v_gpz26N4mSIvG2PjkMlGuqTk1wDzVfs4znA

The Alcubierre metric defines the warp-drive spacetime. It is a Lorentzian manifold, which, if interpreted in the context of general relativity, allows a warp bubble to appear in previously-flat spacetime and move away at effectively-superluminal speed. Inhabitants of the bubble feel no inertial effects. This method of transport does not involve objects in motion at speeds faster than light with respect to the contents of the warp bubble; that is, a light beam within the warp bubble would still always move faster than the ship. As objects within the bubble are not moving (locally) faster than light, the mathematical formulation of the Alcubierre metric is consistent with the conventional claims of the laws of relativity (namely, that an object with mass cannot attain or exceed the speed of light) and conventional relativistic effects such as time dilation would not apply as they would with conventional motion at near-light speeds.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE3bph7r5pQ

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 1:03 am

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-GtApsKmouhH3z44is-K0erDg_aIlTlY8GrGA5jWtmjEV5QEVHA

The Alcubierre drive or Alcubierre metric (referring to metric tensor) is a speculative idea based on a solution of Einstein's field equations in general relativity as proposed by theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre, by which a spacecraft could achieve faster-than-light travel if a configurable energy-density field lower than that of vacuum (i.e. negative mass) could be created. Rather than exceeding the speed of light within its local frame of reference, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEEzbFxEbB8

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 6:38 am

I think the big challenge will be our understanding of mass. As it stands we measure it by very physical means... displacement, volume, gravity/weight... etc. But at the molecular level there's an amazing about of empty space. It's really cool to visualize a warp effect... and it likely happens in some cataclysmic events like black holes or massive gravitational effects. I've always thght though that we will find out more and more revelations as we can study the very smallest particles. The solution will likely take all of those into account... and dark matter... etc. We may find that even time can be manipulated in there somewhere... not with speed necessarily... but more like the teleporter we saw in star trek.

Pretty cool theory tho DE.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm

I read a while back that it could have explosive consequences. For instance, if you dropped out of a bubble near Earth, you might just blow up the whole planet.

I have no idea why, just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

The Dude wrote:
I think the big challenge will be our understanding of mass.  As it stands we measure it by very physical means... displacement, volume, gravity/weight... etc. But at the molecular level there's an amazing about of empty space. It's really cool to visualize a warp effect... and it likely happens in some cataclysmic events like black holes or massive gravitational effects. I've always thght though that we will find out more and more revelations as we can study the very smallest particles. The solution will likely take all of those into account... and dark matter... etc. We may find that even time can be manipulated in there somewhere... not with speed necessarily... but more like the teleporter we saw in star trek.

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS6VCPdVv39CD6K3RRTsmteyYJpeiZIUOkPzwsb-TlfLP0oNJg

When I was still in college studying physics at the junior level a few years ago, after my military service, I suggested to a few of my fellow students that we won't be able to achieve FTL until we have a better understanding of gravity. Once that's attained the universe will open up to the human race. All of them agreed with me.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxcfKp2KFE

Smile
Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Eric wrote:
I read a while back that it could have explosive consequences.  For instance, if you dropped out of a bubble near Earth, you might just blow up the whole planet.

I have no idea why, just sayin'.

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrzk09q-Xsl5HarbRTPfMHwQ5IvPk3EvLigP8qLEeEAtOAF0h7gg

Bummer!

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9do-0Fdis

Smile
Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Interesting!

So lets say we did create this warp bubble. Wouldn't there need to be a bubble inside of a bubble that is not negative mass in order to transport whatever object is traveling?
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Damaged Eagle wrote:
The Dude wrote:
I think the big challenge will be our understanding of mass.  As it stands we measure it by very physical means... displacement, volume, gravity/weight... etc. But at the molecular level there's an amazing about of empty space. It's really cool to visualize a warp effect... and it likely happens in some cataclysmic events like black holes or massive gravitational effects. I've always thght though that we will find out more and more revelations as we can study the very smallest particles. The solution will likely take all of those into account... and dark matter... etc. We may find that even time can be manipulated in there somewhere... not with speed necessarily... but more like the teleporter we saw in star trek.

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS6VCPdVv39CD6K3RRTsmteyYJpeiZIUOkPzwsb-TlfLP0oNJg

When I was still in college studying physics at the junior level a few years ago, after my military service, I suggested to a few of my fellow students that we won't be able to achieve FTL until we have a better understanding of gravity. Once that's attained the universe will open up to the human race. All of them agreed with me.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

I think you're right. There are some cool theories lately that explain our relatively weak gravity in this dimension.

The most promising I think is dark matter... it's conceivable that could supply nearly infinite energy. Who knows... lol.
Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Chrissy* wrote:
Interesting!

So lets say we did create this warp bubble. Wouldn't there need to be a bubble inside of a bubble that is not negative mass in order to transport whatever object is traveling?

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp5R7I8rO2FNjN6Tv0UZjodyNoRVUGR5Zmx1KgoenUQlAgfNsn

Not sure. Will have to do some more research on that.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MXgc8wzfC4

Smile
Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 6:28 pm

The Dude wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
The Dude wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

I think you're right. There are some cool theories lately that explain our relatively weak gravity in this dimension.

The most promising I think is dark matter... it's conceivable that could supply nearly infinite energy. Who knows... lol.

Alcubierre metric Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwvOl0yiW_Of7ZTSGYG0HYyADcBPZabLfxctTxacK77WjPr4u4

I'm thinking that the vacuum energy we're talking about in the other thread is directly related to the dark energy they theorize and that's why they haven't been able to locate the dark matter they believe exists. Pretty hard to detect something that's popping in and out of our reality for only a few nanoseconds at a time and never in the same location.

But don't quote me on that it's just a thought I have. Call it a possible intuitive leap.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQ-6IAS1cc

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alcubierre metric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre metric   Alcubierre metric Empty

Back to top Go down

Alcubierre metric
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Science-