Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rosetta

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Rosetta Empty
PostSubject: Rosetta   Rosetta EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 am

Here is the comet Rosetta that has an EU satellite now.  The satellite plans to disgorge a smaller landing craft that will attempt to land on this spinning comet.  I will be surprised if the lander is successful.  There ain't much gravity there and I suspect the spinning comet will swat the lander into oblivion.

Rosetta LnoiYXx
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Rosetta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta   Rosetta EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 7:45 am

ah yes, I believe I read about this. The satellite is following this currently.

I hope that by messing with these pieces of flying space debris we don't change their course .
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Rosetta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta   Rosetta EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 10:07 am

*~Tree~* wrote:

I hope that by messing with these pieces of flying space debris we don't change their course .

No problem, virtually all of Earth's space debris is less than 23,000 miles from Earth. The "sweet spot" for parking geosynchronous satellites is 22,500 miles above the equator. Many satellites are much closer in (like the GPS birds), but they are constantly moving.

This comet Rosetta is between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars... quite a bit farther away.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Rosetta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta   Rosetta EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 10:57 am

Eric wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:

No problem, virtually all of Earth's space debris is less than 23,000 miles from Earth.  The "sweet spot" for parking geosynchronous satellites is 22,500 miles above the equator.  Many satellites are much closer in (like the GPS birds), but they are constantly moving.

This comet Rosetta is between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars... quite a bit farther away.

I wonder what the scientific value is of doing something like this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rosetta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta   Rosetta Empty

Back to top Go down

Rosetta
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Science-
Jump to: